self cancelling indicators

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Rods

self cancelling indicators

Postby Rods » Tue Aug 09, 2005 9:41 pm

having returned to the world of the 1100s a couple of weeks i'm loving having bike again... not least cos my blackbird's reg rec went yesterday :x 50 miles after having the old one changed :evil: !!!

however, i'm getting really annoyed at the self cancelling indicators on the s. often find myself having to repress the indicator at roundabouts if it's busy, or at junctions when i'm waiting for some time.

is there anyway of setting them to cancel later, or even take the self cancel out of the equation all together? i'd be much happier if it was in my own hands. had a lorry pull out on me at a RAB today, presumably because he thought i was going straight on, whilst i was in fact turning right. i KNOW my indicator was on when i started going round the RAB (it was a biggy so the lorry wouldn't have been able to see me enter the RAB).

any ideas?

a-jay26

Not on mine

Postby a-jay26 » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:53 pm

Not sure about this one....but I've ridden a fair few BMW and none of them have self cancelling indicators, you've got to do it yourself by pressing the cancel button on the right hand stalk.

Regards,
Andy
Andy Stewart

May the Force be somewhere!

Rods

Postby Rods » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:05 pm

the s seems to be the only bmw with self cancelling indicators... or at least my experience (ridden 3 types of r series). :twisted:

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:34 pm

Rods wrote:the s seems to be the only bmw with self cancelling indicators... or at least my experience (ridden 3 types of r series). :twisted:

Ah-hah! Yours must be fitted with an after-market cancelling relay!

They usually come with an adjustable dip-switch to alter the time that the indicators operate and also - usually the rundown timer is temporarily halted if you have your foot on the brake (at lights, for example)

I guess that all you need to do is to buy a normal relay/flasher unit and you are back to "as-built"

I'd be interested in a photo of the pin arrangement of the relay and also any details from the casing of the unit.

cheers

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Rods

Postby Rods » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:35 am

Blackal wrote:

i was under the impression that all s's had self cancelling indicators (i can't speak for boxercups). my other s had self cancelling ones, as have all of my mates. apparently they run of the speedo and are set for 200 yards or so... unfortunately i don't find that long enough!

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:21 am

Rods wrote:
Blackal wrote:

i was under the impression that all s's had self cancelling indicators (i can't speak for boxercups). my other s had self cancelling ones, as have all of my mates. apparently they run of the speedo and are set for 200 yards or so... unfortunately i don't find that long enough!

Right! You've guessed it - ------ I'm off out to try the damn thing!

Must have a look in the manual (if all else fails) and see if it is mentioned there.

Thanks for the advice,

Al

See if that works .....

madman

Postby madman » Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:37 am

Both our S's have self canceling indicators, as did my 2004 K1200GT, as did my 2003 R1150RT, I think that they work very well and would not change them.
2004 Silver (mine)
2001 Silver/Manderin (hers)
Visiting France? Read my blog on http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:18 pm

See my other posting on cancelling turn indicators:

But - it appears that mine do self-cancel !!!!!

Anyway that's one conundrum sorted................ now all I have to do is find where the damn radiator is and I'm sorted! dink

See if that works .....

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:07 am

All bikes with the "S" electrics (so Rocksters are included) have self-cancellers.
non quod, sed quomodo

Dickie2679

Postby Dickie2679 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:59 pm

mine seem to turn off on there own, what can you do to stop this?

Return to “Boxertech”