r1200s engine rebuild

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

gus

r1200s engine rebuild

Postby gus » Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:28 pm

Hi all
Well the new secondhand engine has been painted and i have started building the bike back together. I carried out the oil pump upgrade whilst it was on the bench, this should help keep the bits inside for longer :lol: . New larger oil cooler to be fitted along with a Hp2 S front shock, Hp2s rear sets and a short ratio rear drive.
Stripped the heads and cylinders off today in readiness for the wossner pistons and long rods. Awaiting big end bearing shells to arrive, then i can start reassembly.
all the best
gus

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:02 pm

coming together nicely. Pleased I don't have your parts bill tho!! :shock:
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Humbug

Postby Humbug » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:09 pm

Looking good, don't know how people think of the boxer as basic!

nab 301

Re: r1200s engine rebuild

Postby nab 301 » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:00 pm

gus wrote: long rods.

I love shiny engine bits
Different capacity?

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

gus

Re: r1200s engine rebuild

Postby gus » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:08 am

nab 301 wrote:
gus wrote: long rods.

I love shiny engine bits
Different capacity?

Hi Nigel
Same capacity.
Bit more compression and all the parts are considerably lighter than stock. All the mods I am doing will make a great race engine with around 130 bhp at the wheel , Spin up quicker and be a lot smoother. I will lose a little bottom end , but gain midrange to top end.
All the best
Gus

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:00 pm

Am I a numpty - but how do you do up the Big end cap nuts with the engine in and the sump on? (never stripped a boxer this far0?
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

gus

Postby gus » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:22 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:Am I a numpty - but how do you do up the Big end cap nuts with the engine in and the sump on? (never stripped a boxer this far0?

It's a horizontally opposed flat twin, so through them big holes where the cylinders sit as shown in the pics. :lol:
Gus

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:42 pm

Should maybe have added, that: The second barrel has to be mounted after the second piston/con-rod assy.

So, in order:

Barrel 1 mounted
Piston/conrod 1 fed in and secured.
Piston/conrod 2 mounted and secured
Barrel 2 mounted on Piston 2

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:45 pm

gus wrote:
The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:Am I a numpty - but how do you do up the Big end cap nuts with the engine in and the sump on? (never stripped a boxer this far0?

It's a horizontally opposed flat twin, so through them big holes where the cylinders sit as shown in the pics. :lol:
Gus

Ok I just though that there would not be enough room - don't drop your socket down the hole :oops:

God knows how you would do it on the New engine as the barrells are part of the crank case casting so there would be a piston in the way. I guess you have to assemle the crank and then slot the castings over the pistons then bolt it up.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

gus

Postby gus » Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:06 pm

[quote="Blackal"]Should maybe have added, that: The second barrel has to be mounted after the second piston/con-rod assy.

So, in order:

Barrel 1 mounted
Piston/conrod 1 fed in and secured.
Piston/conrod 2 mounted and secured
Barrel 2 mounted on Piston 2

Al :)[/

Both rods are fitted onto the crank.
Pistons can either be installed in cylinders first leaving enough room to install wrist pin and circlips or fitted onto conrods and fed into barrels.
Gus

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:13 pm

Ah-yes, of course.... :oops:

Al :)
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Fw190

Postby Fw190 » Thu Nov 19, 2015 3:51 pm

looking good Gus, motors coming together nicely. looks like she'll be flying next season

Ty :lol:

gus

Postby gus » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:54 pm

Fw190 wrote:looking good Gus, motors coming together nicely. looks like she'll be flying next season

Ty :lol:

Cheers Ty
Hope all the hard work pays off.
How's it all going your end?
Gus

Fw190

Postby Fw190 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:27 am

Hey Gus, yeh, slow matey... I need to understand where work is for next year before I make the jump, we've just purchased Marzocchi, so my work load is about to go vertical.

on the plus side, I'm going testing in Calafat in the 1st week of December, and get to ride a Moto 3 Honda and and WSBK Fireblade, so hoping it stays dry as the Honda is a bit fierce..

drop you a mail soon, I should have a list of testing days in Varano soon, if any of the guys are interested. they will be in the early spring now though.

Ty

gus

Postby gus » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:21 am

Fw190 wrote:Hey Gus, yeh, slow matey... I need to understand where work is for next year before I make the jump, we've just purchased Marzocchi, so my work load is about to go vertical.

on the plus side, I'm going testing in Calafat in the 1st week of December, and get to ride a Moto 3 Honda and and WSBK Fireblade, so hoping it stays dry as the Honda is a bit fierce..

drop you a mail soon, I should have a list of testing days in Varano soon, if any of the guys are interested. they will be in the early spring now though.

Ty

Ok mate. I need to sort out dates myself.
Calafat sounds like fun. Lucky git!
Gus

Return to “Boxertech”