Service time again... Gearbox oil suggestions?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Service time again... Gearbox oil suggestions?

Postby Paul » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:13 pm

Gents,

Time for me to show a cursory interest in motorcycle maintenance again and give the bike a service. One job which is overdue is changing the oil in the gearbox and the rear wheel drive. I have been searching for Mobil 1 gearbox oil, but it appears to be made from highly refined rocking horse sh*t, judging by my lack of success in tracking it down. Does anyone know where I can get some in the South West London / Northern Surrey area, or are there any other recommendations for a lighter oil than the BMW specified gloop?

My local Halfords stocks several varieties of Castrol gearbox oil. Which would be the one I need?

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:26 pm

I usually just get EP 80 from halfords.But I change all oils every service rather than just the engine oil and the gear oil every other service.
I've always done this on my boxers....find it helps prolong the life of the bearings.
If money wasn't an issue and i didn't do so many miles I'd definately get some synthetic gear oil.
Bailey.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:41 pm

Paul - Castrol is good stuff. Fully synthetic and I'll bet near as dammit the same as Mobil 1 - have a decko here

Sorry about the c*r references but it'll be the same stuff as you can use in the BM's tranny :)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:46 pm

Paul - done a bit of trowling around the place and found this :)

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:22 pm

Hi Paul, Mr Tight Wallet here

I get some EP80 oil-a-like from German and Swedish - about £2.50 for a litre - don't notice the difference - but change it quite often (like Mr B) and it never seems that dirty

Jason

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:47 pm

I've used Castrol MTX Synthetic and Mobil1 SHC in a couple of different BM Gearboxes/Rear Drives. Both were fully synthetic and both were good. I'd say the Mobil made the most difference but it's marginal (and the Mobil is pretty expensive for gearbox oil).

Here's another source for Mobil1 SHC:

http://www.boschserviceagents.co.uk/aca ... _Oils.html

seems to be the same price. Halfords have always carried the Castrol MTX to my knowledge.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 18, 2004 12:59 pm

Gents,

Thanks for your help. I think I'll whizz past Halfords and get some Castrol MTX then, rather than chance my luck to mail order delivery.

Now, spark plugs...

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Return to “Boxertech”