Removing Ignition barrel

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Osaka84

Removing Ignition barrel

Postby Osaka84 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 11:50 am

Has anyone removed the ignition barrel on an 11S, without removing the complete ignition switch.
Sometimes I have to wiggle the key to get it to turn in the ignition switch. I was hoping to repair the barrel/tumblers without having to renew a complete set of locks.

The service manual gives instruction that looks pretty simple.....but not that simple.

I have been unable to attach the illustration but here is the text

Removing and installing lock barrel

• Key in ON position/press in keeper (1) with a stiff
wire or similar.
• Pull out lock barrel with key.
• Lubricate the new lock barrel with
Shell Retinax A.
• Insert the lock barrel with the key in the ON
position.
• Press lock barrel down until keeper engages.

The problem is that the area to press in "keeper" is sealed with what looks like a small round metal disc or plug that is held in place with 4 centre punched dimples. The manual does not give reference to this item or how to extract it, and I don't want to try and extract it without seeking some advice first.

Has anyone had any experience of removing only the ignition barrel?

Pete.

Postby Pete. » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:01 pm

Yep, it's done exactly how you describe. Fit key, press in keeper, extract barrel. Same goes for the fuel cap and tail lock barrel. It's a few minutes' work. Mine didn't have the security disk you describe (neither of them did) but if it did I would pop it through with a 2-3mm drill.

Osaka84

Postby Osaka84 » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:36 pm

Thanks Pete.
The disc may have been added by a previous owner.
I had considered drilling a 2mm hole through the disc then use the drill bit to press the keeper. I just wanted to check with someone first, just in case I done some serious damage and ended up having to replace the lock completely.
I'll post how I get on, as it may help someone else in future.

Osaka84

Postby Osaka84 » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:17 am

Just found that the service manual is not clear. The area I thought was indicated as the keeper, is not.
The keeper is accessed through a small rectangular hole just above the area indicated in the service manual. Pushed in a small piece of wire and out came the barrel.
should have put on my specs sooner.

Return to “Boxertech”