Rattling Discs

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

babble53

Rattling Discs

Postby babble53 » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:36 pm

Did any of you ever get any joy on BMW fixing front wheel/brake disc problem?
I've just changed pads, and one of the slave pistons had started sticking a bit (and it was just a bit). Result = seriously f*ked front wheel. There was already a worrying amount of play, but now, theres about 3 - 4mm side play!!!! What a peice of shite shite shite design.
Looks like it's a job for cutting back the faces of the stubs and putting spacers/washers between the disk and wheel. Has anybody had any succcess with this yet?

gus

Postby gus » Mon Mar 15, 2004 7:50 pm

Mine were knackered too.Tried going through BMW GB to gat a goodwill claim.All i can say is what a bunch of tossers,if you aint spent money on extra warranties and servicing they dont want to know.They do know that the wheels wear out prematurely but as it aint a safety issue,they did not recall the bikes.Stick some very thin washers under the discs between the disc mounting posts.This should sort the problem out.Dont buy BMW ones,they are about £2 each.
gus

babble53

Postby babble53 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 9:59 am

Cheers Gus.
Problem now sorted.
You were right about the BMW washers being rather expensive. I got some stainless M8 washers from a local fasteners shop for 10p each. theses were a little wider than the BM ones, but the same outside diameter (about 19mm). The mounting bosses on my wheels had worn so much that i was able to file down the bosses until they were flat (sounds crude, but with care, can be done) and this gave the extra room needed for the thicker washers (and provided a good solid backface for the washer). I ensured all the bosses were down to the same level by replacing the wheel and turning it, using a fixed point (screwdriver clamped to fork leg) to guage if all the bosses were to the identical height.
After re-assembly using new wavy washers (from BMW - 50p each) i re-checked for any run-out. My discs are now firm and none rattling! Brakes are also much improved since mine had worn to a level where the old wavy washers had disintegrated, and the right disc would vibrate under braking, making a howling noise and giving poor feel and reduced power (really not nice).

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Wed Apr 07, 2004 11:01 am

so what is it that wears?? the bosses on the wheel????
non quod, sed quomodo

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Wed Apr 07, 2004 12:54 pm

I'm not too sure what the problem is here! I've just had mine all stripped out to put in s/s disc bolts, can't see any reason why the discs should go loose and rattle to the point where they need spacers. As long as they're all torqued up ok there shouldn't be a problem. Could someone enlighten me please as to the exact nature of what happens?

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:29 pm

Mr D

The theory goes that the movement of two different surfaces of different hardness results in the softer (the wheel) surface wearing away. Mine went about 50k and I initially put some washers on, then ut some Iron PFM disks on but had to take the washers off because the brakes wouldn't work - I think the disks are thicker and I didn't have any float with the new discs - so no I've got a worn wheel, thick discs and no washers.

babble53

Postby babble53 » Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:35 pm

On early examples, i believe pre 2000, the disc is mounted directly onto the wheel boss. The assembly consists of the disc, followed by wavy washer, stainless bush and then bolt. Later models have a stainless washer between the disc and wheel (theses are the bits that cost £2 each from BMW)
After enough use (30 - 40k for example) the hard steel disc rubs it's way into the soft alloy wheel. Once this wear exceeds the amount of clearance taken up by the wavy washer, the disc will begin to rattle about.
Mine was rattling a little when i bought the bike at 30k. After another 10k, it had got steadily worse. The guy at the MOT place was a bit perturbed by it, but passed it. Then i changed the pads and one of the pistons was sticking. This accelerated the wear and destroyed the wavy washers on one side. Hence i had to do something about it.
My mates 15k bike has absolutely no sign of rattling yet.
One train of thought says it'd be a good idea to fit the £2 washers (or some other suitably thin washers) before wear takes place. However, this would mean offsetting your disc by the distance of the thickness of the washer. Whether this offsetting would be acceptable to the calipers or not i couldn't say. Any problem would arrise when the pads are shagged and the piston are at full extention - would the inside piston be too far out?? could it begin to twist in it's bore?? I think it's unlikely - but then i did go to the trouble of filing my bosses down to match the thickness of the washers!
I think the long and the short of it is - don't fix it til it's broke. Once it's broke it's fairly easy to file back the worn area to match the washer thickness.

Dave.

Return to “Boxertech”