Removing a Datatool syatem 3

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

cornishflat

Removing a Datatool syatem 3

Postby cornishflat » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:14 pm

Anyone had any experience of removing a Datatool system 3 from a 1100s. Mine has been a little iffy of late....not turning off.... and I don,t think its anything to do with the batteries. Reading the internet it would appear they can become troublesome, so before I get stranded I,m thinking of removing the thing.
Any ideas on the price to have it removed might be useful too.

Cheers Bry
kernow,the last bit

gus

Postby gus » Tue Apr 08, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi
I have removed a couple of alarms from 1100,1200s. Get yourself a soldering iron and solder, heats rink covering and some decent loom tape. Srip plastics off bike and work backwards from the alarm . You will see where it has been spliced into the loom. Simply remove alarm wires and reconnect original wires.
All the best
Gus

Al

Postby Al » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:07 pm

I did mine exactly as Gus said, if I remember correctly most of the splices were in/near the fuse/relay lekkie box behind the r/h(when sitting on bike) side fairing panel and the main unit was fixed to the battery holder on mine.
I left the indicator led in place and connected it to battery with an inline switch for switching led on/off if I parked somewhere iffy. (Exeter :) )

Have a fun w/end Bry,

Al,
White/red BMW R1200R Sport
Shiny Red Honda Civic
Shiny Silver MR2 vvti Roadster. Going to be sold
White Peugeot Boxer Camper Conversion.
Battle scarred Suzuki Burgman 125,(Mrs Als) going to be sold
Suzuki VanVan 125

skiddy boxers

Re: Removing a Datatool syatem 3

Postby skiddy boxers » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:16 pm

cornishflat wrote:Anyone had any experience of removing a Datatool system 3 from a 1100s. Mine has been a little iffy of late....not turning off.... and I don,t think its anything to do with the batteries. Reading the internet it would appear they can become troublesome, so before I get stranded I,m thinking of removing the thing.
Any ideas on the price to have it removed might be useful too.

Cheers Bry

I had exactly the same problem whilst in the Black Forest last year. Got to the point that we has stopped for coffee one day on a run and it wouldn't disarm. B*ggered about with it for an hour and finally had to give up an ring Auntie Carole Nash's recovery. Bike taken to local BMW dealer and it took their mechanic 3 hours to remove it and put all the wiring back together again. Left 400 euros lighter and the alarm still chattering away in their bin.

Watched the guy do it and whilst I would say give it a go I would only do it myself if I had a wiring diagram handy. He was constantly referring to one.
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:34 pm

PM'd you Bry.

It's easy to link out the terminals inside the Datatool module.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:39 pm

have a bucket of water ready to drop it in
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Tue Apr 08, 2014 11:40 pm

On second thoughts I believe it is a right carry on and I was quoted £50 to remove it - would rather pay to get it done
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:27 am

Thanks for the info everyone. Before I do any tampering do I put the alarm in service mode.....I can hear the bugger yodelling now and myself running manically for a heavy implement. :)
kernow,the last bit

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:39 am

Try for service mode.

If it does that successfully or not................

Try and get some duct tape sealed across the sounder to dampen the siren.

Once that is done - follow my e-mailed instructions, in the order listed.

Job's a carrot!

Al :D

See if that works .....

the smudger

Postby the smudger » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:18 am

I removed mine from the GS. Don't be too concerned about the make, they are all basically the same. As someone else has said all you need to do is find the siren/controller and work back.

There will be roughly 5 wires,

1. Power supply (usually fused)
2. Earth
3, 4&5. These will be 'T'd into the wiring loom near the ECU. What you need to know is (and I say this with the greatest respect), most alarm fitters are not electrical genius's, they will just bare wires and solder in!!)

These 3 (approx) wires T into the ignition, fuel and starting circuits. All you need to do is find them, cut the alarm wiring off or disconnect. All they usually do is T in, as the alarm simply grounds that wire, rendering it useless so the bike won't start.

If you need any more advice PM me and I will go through it with you over the phone.

Rods, Steve.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:38 am

the smudger wrote:I removed mine from the GS. Don't be too concerned about the make, they are all basically the same. As someone else has said all you need to do is find the siren/controller and work back.

There will be roughly 5 wires,

1. Power supply (usually fused)
2. Earth
3, 4&5. These will be 'T'd into the wiring loom near the ECU. What you need to know is (and I say this with the greatest respect), most alarm fitters are not electrical genius's, they will just bare wires and solder in!!)

These 3 (approx) wires T into the ignition, fuel and starting circuits. All you need to do is find them, cut the alarm wiring off or disconnect. All they usually do is T in, as the alarm simply grounds that wire, rendering it useless so the bike won't start.

If you need any more advice PM me and I will go through it with you over the phone.

Rods, Steve.

I know that Datatool don't simply earth a supply in order to prevent operation - for a start, there would be current flow to earth.

Datatool takes two wires from the start signal through the unit, then the start cable is snipped between the two jumpers. The start signal then must go through the Datatool. The reason the wires are bared and soldered is more a matter of security:

Security of connection
Security - so that there are no "telltale" connectors.

Al

See if that works .....

Return to “Boxertech”