Stainless brake pins

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Jason M

Stainless brake pins

Postby Jason M » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:20 am

Mr Minivin

I was showing someone a recently purchaced new brake pin the other day, bargain at about £6, and he said his mate could run them up in stainless pretty cheaply. Be a flippin site better than changing them every so often as they self destruct with the evil rust monster.

You wanted other ideas. What about it? The only thing that may be difficult would be the spring clips on the ends but I'd happily transfer those from the old pins

just an idea for us winter riders

Jason

minivin

Postby minivin » Mon Mar 15, 2004 12:20 pm

Hello Jason, yup I just had my pins out at 10k and they were looking grotty so I got the bench mounted wire wheel on them and gave them a copper greasing to make sure they lasted a little longer.

I'll get one measured up and see what the price would come out at from my local manufacturer, since they want to expand into more motorcycle stuff.

R clip smallest I have listed here in my catelogue is wire 1.2 with a shaft of 5-9mm, 40p each for stainless, will be placing an order tonight so will get that one and the next size up and see how they compare.
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Mar 15, 2004 1:25 pm

minivin wrote:Hello Jason, yup I just had my pins out at 10k and they were looking grotty so I got the bench mounted wire wheel on them and gave them a copper greasing to make sure they lasted a little longer.

I'll get one measured up and see what the price would come out at from my local manufacturer, since they want to expand into more motorcycle stuff.

R clip smallest I have listed here in my catelogue is wire 1.2 with a shaft of 5-9mm, 40p each for stainless, will be placing an order tonight so will get that one and the next size up and see how they compare.

might I advise sir to use the lightest smear of high-temp grease RATHER than coppaslip on brake pins?

Experience has shown that coppaslip can be abrasive and wear the holes on the calliper away (happened to a friends Thundercat), leaving the pads to rattle around rather more than desired.

HTH. :)
non quod, sed quomodo

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Mon Mar 15, 2004 2:09 pm

minivin wrote:Hello Jason, yup I just had my pins out at 10k and they were looking grotty so I got the bench mounted wire wheel on them and gave them a copper greasing to make sure they lasted a little longer.

Chears - even if they work out the same price as Mr BM they'll be worth it.

minivin

Postby minivin » Mon Mar 15, 2004 4:53 pm

Ahh, never heard of that one before but may just do this when I check the dimesniosn in a bit :)
[quote="RiceBurner

might I advise sir to use the lightest smear of high-temp grease RATHER than coppaslip on brake pins?

Experience has shown that coppaslip can be abrasive and wear the holes on the calliper away (happened to a friends Thundercat), leaving the pads to rattle around rather more than desired.

HTH. :)[/quote]
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

Return to “Boxertech”