Stupid question about valve play

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Tapio

Stupid question about valve play

Postby Tapio » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:21 pm

Tried to adjust valve lash last weekend. Took valve covers off. But there’s a strange thingy there in between the rocker and the valve stem top!
What does it do? And why is it sitting there?

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... t=1&ref=nf

To me, when looking at it, it seemed as if it was shaped like in pic 2. So where do you put the feeler gauge?
Or, maybe I’m wrong, and the feeler gauge goes in between the sleeve and the valve stem top?
I was stumped, and stupid enough not to try, so I just put evererything back as it was.

//T
R1100S '04
K100RS '90
GSX1100 (1327cc) '81
Lada Niva '12
CCDV '72

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 6:38 pm

This is just a guess. It looks similar to what one might find on the end of a G clamp screw. Wonder if it does a similar job? Straighten out an angular motion? I wonder if the tappet screw end has a ball and this piece is "crimped" over the end?

Just guessing though. Dying to know!

Edit: nothing to do with the above, but looks like there are no nested springs? Just single.

oyster

Postby oyster » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:07 pm

Feeler gauge blade slides under the captive cup, above the top of the valve.
This Youtube clip, one of many on the topic, is accurate AND has a good jazz background theme. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8jxG1CH8tc
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:16 pm

oyster wrote:Feeler gauge blade slides under the captive cup, above the top of the valve.
This Youtube clip, one of many on the topic, is accurate AND has a good jazz background theme. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B8jxG1CH8tc

Captive cup is good. I like that. That's what I meant!

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Fri Nov 01, 2013 7:19 pm

Anyway, if tapio is using a DTI, clearance is clearance Clarence. Wherever it is.

Use the feelers as a double check. Hopefully the two methods will yield the same answer.

R-man

Postby R-man » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:05 pm

As others have suggested this sort of fitting is designed to reduce the sideways pressure on the end of what is a long and potentially bendy valve stem. And I think it helps to slowly revolve the valves in their guides, for more even wear.

Tapio - Although I was taught that using a test dial indicator was the more accurate way, when you have 4 of them to do, and find that resetting any one can influence the others it may be slow, and over the top...
R1100S current
K1200RS (2005-07) Autobahn-stormer
V-Strom (2004-05)
VFR800 (2003-04)
-in the 70s & 80s there were lots more...

ceepee

checking valve clearance

Postby ceepee » Sat Nov 02, 2013 7:08 pm

hi Tapio, i have exactly the same issue as you re checking clearance i.e. nowhere apparent to insert feelers, one thing that does come to mind though , is the valve gear show in the picture of a boxer cup rep or is it common to all 1100s engines, i refer to the double domed fitting between the valve stem and the rocker adjuster ?

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sat Nov 02, 2013 8:39 pm

R-man wrote:?..........and find that resetting any one can influence the others........

That's a point. If each pair of valves shares a rocker, which it looks to do, once you set one valve clearance using the DTI, it won't be possible to set the shared valve clearance using the DTI.

DOH!

Looks like feeler gauges only. If the valve stem indents the captive cup face...... You're stuffed I guess.

?

Herb

Postby Herb » Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:14 pm

Deleted.
Last edited by Herb on Sun Nov 03, 2013 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
********Jim********
---------------------------
2006 'Colgate' R1200s

R-man

Postby R-man » Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:18 am

-ceepee- Yes all R1100 and 1150 engines are like this, with 'captive cups' (were they invented by Berlei?). This series is known as type R259, and much of the valve gear is interchangeable until the 1200 series that replaced them.

The more I think about it, the more I like the feeler guage setup.

Cheaper than 4 x DTIs
Much quicker, especially if you keep all 4 feelers in at the same time (oo-err missus)
And can easier measure any variation as the rocker arm moves vertically on its shaft (unless the rocker arm end float is truly tiny).

-but I still have a hankering to try one of those 'SPQR' pre-settable valve clearance adjusters, that was a mechanic's friend when all cars had simple screw-adjusted OHV or OHC rockers...
R1100S current

K1200RS (2005-07) Autobahn-stormer

V-Strom (2004-05)

VFR800 (2003-04)

-in the 70s & 80s there were lots more...

Droptarotter

Postby Droptarotter » Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:25 am

The technical term for the captive cups is;

Elephant Feet

Cheers

Herb

Postby Herb » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:06 am

Deleted my previous post. Must remember not to post while under the influence. Especially on technical posts.

I can't see the method using a dial indicator being accurate. As the rocker arm can be assumed to be quite rigid, surely regardless of where you position the dial gauge, you are only going to measure the tighter of the 2 clearances on that arm?
********Jim********

---------------------------

2006 'Colgate' R1200s

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:10 am

Herb wrote:Deleted my previous post. Must remember not to post while under the influence. Especially on technical posts.

I can't see the method using a dial indicator being accurate. As the rocker arm can be assumed to be quite rigid, surely regardless of where you position the dial gauge, you are only going to measure the tighter of the 2 clearances on that arm?

That's what I meant in my last post. I hadn't cottoned on to that fact initially, but R-man's comment prompted my noggin.

Judging by his last post though, I'm not sure he actually meant that! Why would you need four sets of feelers? Two would probably be helpful, but surely just one would suffice? Perhaps I'm still missing something?

Herb, it's awfully unsporting of you to delete your cock ups old chap. :D

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:12 am

Droptarotter wrote:The technical term for the captive cups is;

Elephant Feet

Cheers

.....and in German please......

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:01 am

I have thought of a way of setting the clearances using a DTI. Please feel free to shoot me down in flames.

Feelers are fine, but how are you going to know if the elephant feet are becoming indented by the hammering against the valve stem? The dia of the elephant foot looks bigger the the valve stem.

Using the DTI. Back off each screw. Use the DTI to set one of the screw clearances. Then push the rocker to make firm contact between the screw you've just set and the valve stem. Then, keeping firm pressure on the rocker, finger tighten the second screw to zero clearance.

The only flaw I can see with that idea is that when tightening the locknut on the second screw, you may slightly change the settings.

How flawed is the idea?

Return to “Boxertech”