Water in airbox

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

alloy

Water in airbox

Postby alloy » Sun Mar 14, 2004 7:20 pm

A few weeks ago my 2001 S would not tickover without the throttle open, after checking the spark plugs and leads, I thought about draining the airbox having read something on the yahoo site. I took the drain plug off the RHD side and drained half a cup full out, but nothing from the LHD side!

After a couple off days of doing this each night the bike started running normally. I didn't wash the bike for 3 weeks thinking I flooded the airbox with water hosing it down, but still at the end of each week I get water and a bit of oil out of the LHD drain.

Does any body no where all this water is coming from and why only the LHD side drain? :?:

minivin

Postby minivin » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:01 pm

left hand side which I take you mean as being the nearside in uk or port in mariner terms, would of course be the side that the air inlet duct is.

With the weather as it is at the moment with snow one moment and freezing fog or rain the next I'd hazard a guess at natural condensation if your doing quite a few miles a day.

However I myself do about a 1k miles a month but have very little problem, very strange is the beastie :)
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

alloy

Postby alloy » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:17 pm

I don't seem to no my right from left! I meant the RHD.

The water comes out of the Off-side (starboard) drain only I do about the same mileage as you Minivan 1K a month.

I was afraid somehow I had got water into the oil and it is gradually condensing out, into the breather although the oil doesn't look emulsified in the sight glass.

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:36 pm

The engine breather enters the airbox on the right hand side so any oil mist and condensation will collect on that side first. In this cold weather the condensation will be worse than in the summer. All engines do this and unless it's excessive there's nothing to worry about.

minivin

Postby minivin » Sun Mar 14, 2004 9:46 pm

ditto with stempy, I did a drain about 2k miles ago and the starboard side had a bit come out while the port had little, however I do do quite a few short journey's so I might give it a check tomorrow to see what comes out this time.
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

alloy

Postby alloy » Mon Mar 15, 2004 9:08 pm

Thanks for the replies lads.

Return to “Boxertech”