2004 R1100S Shifting Problem

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

goodgravity

2004 R1100S Shifting Problem

Postby goodgravity » Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:59 pm

I started having intermittent problems where the bike will not upshift from 2nd to 3rd without downshifting back to 1st and then back up again. The lever moves but the gear does not engage. I just had the clutch spline lubed so I think the problem is confined to the gearbox. The problem will also occur between other higher gears but never between 1st and 2nd. Downshifting is never a problem. I am hoping to avoid another big labor charge to remove the transmission and look inside. Has anyone seen and solved this problem before? This bike has fewer than 10,000 miles on it.

timbox2

Postby timbox2 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:53 pm

Start with the obvious first, check that the Index marks align on the end of the gear shift shaft and lever...........
and if there are any obstructions, bits of rock, stone etc.
---------------------------

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:56 pm

Before you get into the gearbox have you double checked the linkage itself? Its a common issue on the GS and I think it affects most BMWs of this era where the linkage gets a bit full of grime and makes shifting difficult. I was convinced my GS had given up the ghost as I really struggled around 2nd and 3rd but in fact it just needed the linkage taking apart and greasing. The little foam bits that protect the ball and socket joints from getting full of crap have basically disintegrated on my S so aren't helping at all.

A good test would be to take the linkage apart so you're left with just the the gear selector that goes into the gearbox itself (rather than the part your foot touches) and see if you still have the same issue.

Return to “Boxertech”