R1100s (1999) front brake callipers

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

hooperman

R1100s (1999) front brake callipers

Postby hooperman » Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:06 pm

I have renewed and seals and pistons before when the front discs started to drag. That was successful. It has happened again so I have taken out what appeared to be the sticking pistons - one by one via pumping the lever - there must be a better way of taking so long and using gallons of fluid? I cleaned the minor corrosion from the pistons with fine wet and dry and replaced them but with existing seals. Still drags. Are new seals essential? If so can I buy them separately - kits are £56 per calliper! Or am I just being bloody tight? These are 4 pot callipers Evo Brembo 4 piston callipers or is there a model reference?

nab 301

Re: R1100s (1999) front brake callipers

Postby nab 301 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:13 pm

hooperman wrote: I cleaned the minor corrosion from the pistons with fine wet and dry and replaced them but with existing seals. Still drags. Are new seals essential? ?

Removing the pistons is a pain because the "plastic " inserts prevent the use of piston pliers. Did you clean out the seal grooves in the caliper, corrosion in there can make the seals tight.
Are the pistons not "Teflon" coated ? Removing corrosion also removes the coating, probably not a good idea.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

fatnfast

Postby fatnfast » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:20 pm

You can by a tool for removing the pistons from the caliper. Around £15 I think I paid from ebay.
I've never had to strip my bmw calipers but have done plenty of others. Im sure you have done this, but check the seals are in the correct way. Some, but not all, calipers use seals with a slight taper on them.
I would also be tempted to give the master cylinder and hoses a health check to make sure they are not contributing/causing the problem.
With regard to reusing the seals, only you can make that call really. Unless I was 100% satisfied with their condition I would replace them.

Edit: Just seen above reply, quite correct about some pistons and even bores being coated. Can the little plastic bit just be prised out?
03 Boxer Cup
02 1150gs
98 r1100rt - work bike
81 Yam RD250LC
81 suzuki GSX250
81 Honda MT5
A rottweiler garage alarm called Buster :-)

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:24 pm

nab 301 wrote:
hooperman wrote: I cleaned the minor corrosion from the pistons with fine wet and dry and replaced them but with existing seals. Still drags. Are new seals essential? ?

Removing the pistons is a pain because the "plastic " inserts prevent the use of piston pliers. Did you clean out the seal grooves in the caliper, corrosion in there can make the seals tight.
Are the pistons not "Teflon" coated ? Removing corrosion also removes the coating, probably not a good idea.

If one had corrosion on a ptfe coated piston, how would one remove the corrosion without damaging the coating? Maybe corrosion spells the end for the piston either way?

The idea of ptfe coating I assume is to achieve an almost frictionless interface? Are the caliper bores prone to ovality?

Cheers.

timbox2

Postby timbox2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 4:52 am

hooperman wrote:I have renewed and seals and pistons before when the front discs started to drag. That was successful. It has happened again so I have taken out what appeared to be the sticking pistons - one by one via pumping the lever - there must be a better way of taking so long and using gallons of fluid? I cleaned the minor corrosion from the pistons with fine wet and dry and replaced them but with existing seals. Still drags. Are new seals essential? If so can I buy them separately - kits are £56 per calliper! Or am I just being bloody tight? These are 4 pot callipers Evo Brembo 4 piston callipers or is there a model reference?

The pistons are in fact Ceramic which is meant to resist corrosion better, but im puzzled why you are calling them EVO calipers, a 1999 bike should have the early Brembo Calipers, have the forks etc been swapped?
---------------------------

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:45 am

timbox2 wrote:
hooperman wrote:I have renewed and seals and pistons before when the front discs started to drag. That was successful. It has happened again so I have taken out what appeared to be the sticking pistons - one by one via pumping the lever - there must be a better way of taking so long and using gallons of fluid? I cleaned the minor corrosion from the pistons with fine wet and dry and replaced them but with existing seals. Still drags. Are new seals essential? If so can I buy them separately - kits are £56 per calliper! Or am I just being bloody tight? These are 4 pot callipers Evo Brembo 4 piston callipers or is there a model reference?

The pistons are in fact Ceramic which is meant to resist corrosion better, but im puzzled why you are calling them EVO calipers, a 1999 bike should have the early Brembo Calipers, have the forks etc been swapped?

Ceramic coated? Or solid?

Cheers.

timbox2

Postby timbox2 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:20 am

Corvus wrote:
timbox2 wrote:

Cheers.

Pretty sure they are solid ceramic, I once broke one and it didnt look like any type of metal.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Wed Sep 18, 2013 6:36 am

timbox2 wrote:
Corvus wrote:
timbox2 wrote:

Cheers.

Pretty sure they are solid ceramic, I once broke one and it didnt look like any type of metal.

Ouch. Bet that hurt...££££ :( :x

Wonder if the piston being ceramic affects heat transfer to fluid?

oyster

Postby oyster » Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:01 am

I did a full service a few years back on my Brembos. The piston drag on those was caused by the tiniest amount of pale corrosion/deposit in the seal groove. I used a cocktail stick to clean the groove followed by a plastic bristled paint brush to ensure they were spotless. Then lubed them with new brake fluid for reassembly. Two of the worst scored pistons were replaced along with new seals from a single replacement kit. I also used red rubber grease on all the dust seals. So far, they have not become 'sticky' again. I have also always refreshed all the brake fluid on the annual service, back and front. Salt is the enemy, as is irregular usage of the bike.
Last edited by oyster on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:19 pm

quote="timbox2"
Pretty sure they are solid ceramic, I once broke one and it didnt look like any type of metal

In the interest of , well, being interested I butchered a caliper piston I had . And then googled ceramic brake pistons , but i'm none the wiser...
The piston feels cold and metallic and looks like aluminium when the coating is scraped. The insert on the pad contact surface resembles very hard bakelite :?

Wonder if the piston being ceramic affects heat transfer to fluid?

I guess the insert reduces heat transfer and prevents squeal caused by vibration between pad and piston.?

1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
'03 Bullet 65 project..

timbox2

Postby timbox2 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:05 pm

Ahh, maybe it is just the insert then thats ceramic? Thats the bit I remember breaking, but it was Motorworks who told me they were Ceramic Pistons.

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:41 am

Any sign of magnetism?

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:31 pm

Corvus wrote:Any sign of magnetism?

None in the caliper pistons ...

1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Return to “Boxertech”