LED tail light compatibility

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:38 am

For safety reasons I was interested in increasing the light output from the tail light of my '01 R1100s (abs) so I bought an LED bulb from AutobulbsDirect http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/380-Ul ... -Bulb.html this bulb is not only their 'ultimate' but apparently can be used on Canbus equipped vehicles. This last point should be irrelevant as I believed my bike does not have Canbus (is that right?).
With the bulb installed, it is certainly brighter than the standard, and while the stop light is fine, the tail light flickers all the time. Also the right-hand abs warning light stays on continuously when riding the bike. (the flickering is not seen when the bulb installed in my car, so I think there is no fault with the bulb).
So it would seem to me that this type of bulb is not compatible with the bike, and wondered if any one else has experience of this and a solution to my problem?

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:07 am

You'll need a resistor in series with the bulb. LED's have less resistance than normal filament bulbs so to the electrical system might seem as the bulb has blown hence the ABS light. Try a 270 ohm resistor, I guess, and work your way from there. Other will be able to inform you better here to the exact resistance needed but no harm in trying different values.

You're right, the 11S doesn't have CanBus. It was introduced with the new 1200 engine much to the confusion of motorcyclists but fairly simple in concept. CanBus is basically a control system much like what is used on modern cars where you can determine a fault by reading the fault code on a suitable device plugged into a plug on the car. Read more here http://bmwra.org/otl/canbus/.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Sandy

Postby Sandy » Wed Jun 26, 2013 8:44 am

thankyou for that information, however i am now unsure about going down this route. It would not be possible to test a resistor by simply holding it in place because the abs warning light is always on when one turns on the ignition. It only goes off after the bike has moved down the road. So to see if it is functioning correctly you have to get on the bike and ride it. This would mean chopping into the tail light wire before I can prove this solution will work - and I am not sure I want to do that.

I am now considering other options such as an additional lamp

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:33 pm

You could try searching for a full replacement rear led lamp unit likethe one I have, which already has the resistor built in. More expensive, but the whole thing looks great and offers more light output. :D
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Jun 28, 2013 1:30 am

Dave, I thought you would have left it in "Moffat State" where everyone thought you just went into bends without braking :lol: But seriously, where did you get it from and any chance of a pic?
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

Daveg2812

Postby Daveg2812 » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:43 pm

dave the german wrote:Dave, I thought you would have left it in "Moffat State" where everyone thought you just went into bends without braking :lol: But seriously, where did you get it from and any chance of a pic?

Bought it on here from a fellow Trixter Dave. Does look good though and is bright. I'll try and get a pic of it if i can. Not sure of the make, I'll pull the lens off and see if there's anything on it. I do know it mounts on the same fitting as the bulb, so its dead easy.
This ain't Twitter you know!

2003 R1100S with some bits on.

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:49 pm

I like the dead easy bit :lol:
'15 R1200GS TE

'06 R1200S

'04 BCR

Yam SR 500 long term restoration

wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

HerrFlick

Re: LED tail light compatibility

Postby HerrFlick » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:28 pm

Sandy wrote:For safety reasons I was interested in increasing the light output from the tail light of my '01 R1100s (abs) so I bought an LED bulb from AutobulbsDirect http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/380-Ul ... -Bulb.html this bulb is not only their 'ultimate' but apparently can be used on Canbus equipped vehicles. This last point should be irrelevant as I believed my bike does not have Canbus (is that right?).
With the bulb installed, it is certainly brighter than the standard, and while the stop light is fine, the tail light flickers all the time. Also the right-hand abs warning light stays on continuously when riding the bike. (the flickering is not seen when the bulb installed in my car, so I think there is no fault with the bulb).
So it would seem to me that this type of bulb is not compatible with the bike, and wondered if any one else has experience of this and a solution to my problem?

Have a look here:

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/led- ... ent-bulbs/

There are CANBUS and non-CANBUS led replacement brake/tail/turn lights - some are very bright - ie they'll make your eyes bleed. :)

From Superbright:

" Error free LED bulbs are specifically designed with built-in load resistors to allow them to be used with CAN(Controller Area Network) Bus equipped vehicles without triggering the OBC (on-board computer), commonly found in European vehicles such as BMW, Audi, Mercedes, Volkswagen, Porsches. CAN Bus bulbs should not be used in non CAN Bus "

My thoughts re your situation is that your ABS system is 'seeing' the load resistor in the CAN led and is unable to interpret it as a 'normal' bulb.

I'm about to order some led lamps for my 'S' but since you've raised this point I'll get an led bulb from the car (non canbus) and test it in the 'S'.

I've purchased form here on a couple of occasions. V.good service.

Cheers.

Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

Return to “Boxertech”