Vibes

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

babble53

Vibes

Postby babble53 » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:26 am

I've read a lot here about people being upset by vibration on the S. I've been thinking about it a bit whilst riding. Do they smooth out with age? I've now got 40k on mine, 10k of mine in the last 7 months. Vibes? what vibes? There's a friendly rumble when cruising. I don't suppose jap bike have that. Is my bike a particuarly good one, or am i missing something (people who know me often comment on me missing something :? )?

Skint

Postby Skint » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:34 am

babble, the S i find vibes at low speed and at stop... Mind you when the final drive is worn it vibes quite a lot through the foot pegs... If you got the vibes though i don't think they improve with age, 75K on the clock and the bike still vibes at low speeds..
When can the Highway agency lay softer road coverings??

Now rides a mangled wreck... Ho Hum back to the K100

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:39 am

Babble, it's the vibes on my 'S' that attracted me to it in the first place. I just love the burbly rumble it makes. I think maybe in these days of super smooth 4 cyl jap bikes etc, we've become a bit soft as bikers in general. I'm sure you, as I did grew up on some the most vibey bikes ever made! To me the vibration is what makes biking what it is and the reason I went back to a twin. Give me a hot throbbing machine between my legs any day...Oooo er!

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

crucial

Postby crucial » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:08 pm

Babble, got 53k on my s and at most speeds the vibes are not an issue. :) I remember my old 1000 exup used to make all my fingers completely numb at motorway speeds :(

ipollen

Postby ipollen » Fri Mar 12, 2004 12:35 pm

Mine at 15,000m is definately less vibey and revs much quicker than when new. I have heard it said before that the engine changes character about every 3-4000 miles.
Regards, Ian

crucial

Postby crucial » Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:24 pm

I have heard it said before that the engine changes character about every 3-4000 miles.

Mine changes character every bloody day!! :lol:

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:06 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Mar 12, 2004 3:17 pm

crucial wrote:
Mine changes character every bloody day!! :lol:

:lol:

Know what you mean - engine vibing..turn off engine for 10 mins...start engine again..no vibes...fill up with fuel...re-start engine...engine vibrates like a b*stard...have 5 mins break...restart engine...engine smooth.

Oh the joys :D :D

babble53

Postby babble53 » Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:34 pm

I think if the bike was totally smooth, it'd detract from it. Like darth said "give me a throbbing machine every time"
At least the vibes from a twin are good 'ol honest rumbling. I cant stand the high frequency buzzing of fours. Is it 'rocking couple' or some such thing that makes 'em do it? So horrible, but so many people prefer it to an honest shake.
Only bad side effect - ruins pillion footrests! :wink:

Dvae

winger

Postby winger » Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:05 pm

Hi Gents

I have to say i found my S throughly unpleasant for the first 10,000 miles,i always wondered about the possiblity of sueing BM for industrial white finger,on a warm summer days pure purgatory, i initially got round it was for long runs and warm weather always used my Tiger.

After breaking 10,000 things have got much better,a combination of miles,Shell Optimax,new plugs every 1500 miles and a TwinMax to keep it well balanced things are much improved and of course cool weather helps no end.

Chris

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:37 am

You don't know what vibes are until you've ridden a K. The only time I've had numb fingers is on the various K series BMs I've owned. I confess I was more than a little concerned when I came back to BMs with the S but it's a revelation in that I've never experienced numb fingers.

In short, stop whining and get riding :D

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

winger

Postby winger » Wed Mar 17, 2004 6:57 pm

Numb fingers??? F*** me i've had numb feet as well,after bollocking up the M1 from Brands,for the best part of two years i perfected the knack of rideing my S with just the palms of my hands on the bars!!!!,it's only been these last twelve months or so that it's settled down.

Chris

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Wed Mar 17, 2004 7:13 pm

Whining is what we do best :D

A wingeing pom

gus

Postby gus » Wed Mar 17, 2004 10:21 pm

Did somebody mention booze?

Youwanna try riding without the standard pegs and a knackered drivetrain if wanna moan about a little vibration.Mines like a bloody jackhammer at the moment.
gus

Return to “Boxertech”