GS intake runners fitted to my 1100S: WOW !!! Pics added.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:57 am

2Mts!

you will be taking orders next lol
There are only two things in life that are "Priceless"
Time & Health
Everything else can be bought or stolen.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:53 am

Mike B wrote:2Mts!

you will be taking orders next lol

:lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 3:34 am

el-nicko wrote:
Mike B wrote:50mm O/D and the length is approx 9 1/2 inch

Think this might do it?

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/plumbing/gut ... n-11577680

Ohhhh El-nicko. You wouldn't....

:cry:
Real torque curves don't have a first derivative. :-^)

StreetFlatTwin

Postby StreetFlatTwin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:16 am

Oh yes he would!!

El-nicko -the king of the ghetto bling :lol:

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:26 pm

well you cant see em :lol:

Time & Health

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:06 pm

StreetFlatTwin wrote:Oh yes he would!!

Arrrrrgggh! [smilie=taz.gif]

S'pose I should have got the clue when I saw his 'bucket' hand protectors.

Bet he got the bucket from B&H as well ...

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:37 pm

HerrFlick wrote:
StreetFlatTwin wrote:Oh yes he would!!

Arrrrrgggh! [smilie=taz.gif]

S'pose I should have got the clue when I saw his 'bucket' hand protectors.

Bet he got the bucket from B&H as well ...

OK. Busted :oops: I admit it; I do have an account with them. :lol:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

NA1959

Postby NA1959 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:46 pm

Steptoe wrote:Whenever i see this modification suggested it always makes me laugh, it's not new, it's been going for years.

GS riders fit the RS airbox tubes and rave about the performance improvement.

RS riders fit the GS airbox tubes and rave about the performance improvement.

Now 1100S riders have joined in the merry-go-round. :D

Everyone will fit GS tubes to their 1100S.
A year down the line i'll fit a pair of standard 1100S tubes back onto a customers 1100s and tell him they're special tubes and he'll rave about the performance improvements :D

I agree we can all make mods but at times we can "balls" up a good bike.

All interisting stuff how does MPG be altered after all this work as I find the tank crap at standard settings.

Keep up dating this interisting post 8)
Over 40 and flying low ---------

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 am

NA1959 wrote:
Steptoe wrote:Whenever i see this modification suggested it always makes me laugh, it's not new, it's been going for years.

A year down the line i'll fit a pair of standard 1100S tubes back onto a customers 1100s and tell him they're special tubes and he'll rave about the performance improvements :D

All interisting stuff how does MPG be altered after all this work as I find the tank crap at standard settings.

Hi NA1959,

If I limit the revs to abt 4200 (70mph) I get an extra 40mi per tank. And always looking for 7th gear.

The problem is staying below 4000 as it's now a case of yeee-haaaaa :mrgreen: but I still get better consumption than pre-modification.

As Mike B. has said, this is a very easy (and reversible) change to make. Just go and do it. You won't be sorry.

Mine are never coming out. It's not only the performance lift, but the smoother rideability from 0-8000rpm

I now have a pair of RocketSprockets which I'll be fitting after then next dyno session.

Then I'll be looking into making a single runner (per side) in carbon fibre for the factory finish look.

Cheers

John C.

HerrFlick

Postby HerrFlick » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:31 am

NA1959 wrote:

Hi NA1959,

If I limit the revs to abt 4200 (70mph) I get an extra 40mi per tank. And always looking for 7th gear.

The problem is staying below 4000 as it's now a case of yeee-haaaaa :mrgreen: but I still get better consumption than pre-modification.

As Mike B. has said, this is a very easy (and reversible) change to make. Just go and do it. You won't be sorry.

Mine are never coming out. It's not only the performance lift, but the smoother rideability from 0-8000rpm

I now have a pair of RocketSprockets which I'll be fitting after then next dyno session.

Then I'll be looking into making a single runner (per side) in carbon fibre for the factory finish look.

Cheers

John C.

Steptoe

Postby Steptoe » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:30 am

HerrFlick wrote:
NA1959 wrote:

Hi NA1959,

Cheers

John C.

You should tell BMW about your results. It would have saved them millions of pounds developing the 1200 engine, and they'd have a faster bike with better fuel consumption. :D .

Mike B

Postby Mike B » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:50 am

BMW have to sell bikes, and BHP and top speed figures sell bikes, always have and always will.

If the super bhp and top speed figures are actually any use to the average joe bloggs is a different matter.

Unfortunately we ride on the road with speed limits, 70 top speed in our case. So why did BMW spend millions developing the R1000RR ???

Simple, cos people (men in particular) like to think they have the biggest, fastest, longest :wink:

It's the way we are!

The point I am making is when BMW built the R1100S, they were selling it as a sports sports/touring bike . Now if they had launched it and said the BHP was 80, who the hell would have bought it??? jeez 250 Aprillia's were putting out 70 ish

If by changing the tubes, and fitting rocket sprockets I have moved my torque curve lower and lost 10 bhp top end. BUT made it a nicer bike for my style of riding then it's a good mod for me, maybe not for everyone, but for me YES!

Everyone told me that fitting a GS torque arm improved the handling, I bought one and tried it, and very quickly removed it because I didn't like it. So it's not everyone's cup of tea

Time & Health

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:44 pm

Mike B wrote:BMW have to sell bikes, and BHP and top speed figures sell bikes, always have and always will.

If the super bhp and top speed figures are actually any use to the average joe bloggs is a different matter.

Unfortunately we ride on the road with speed limits, 70 top speed in our case. So why did BMW spend millions developing the R1000RR ???

Simple, cos people (men in particular) like to think they have the biggest, fastest, longest :wink:

It's the way we are!

The point I am making is when BMW built the R1100S, they were selling it as a sports sports/touring bike . Now if they had launched it and said the BHP was 80, who the hell would have bought it??? jeez 250 Aprillia's were putting out 70 ish

If by changing the tubes, and fitting rocket sprockets I have moved my torque curve lower and lost 10 bhp top end. BUT made it a nicer bike for my style of riding then it's a good mod for me, maybe not for everyone, but for me YES!

Everyone told me that fitting a GS torque arm improved the handling, I bought one and tried it, and very quickly removed it because I didn't like it. So it's not everyone's cup of tea

Well said, thats exactly what its all about, making the bike better for the owner. I,m certainly going to give it a whirl. Strangely i removed the GS arm and went back to stock, horses for courses i guess.
kernow,the last bit

gus

Postby gus » Fri Jan 25, 2013 8:10 pm

Figures are required to show exactly what has being gained or indeed lost throughout the rev range. The s engine alway used to feel so much better when there was cold dense air about. I,m interested to SEE what has happened.on paper. The s used different cams to the rest of the r1100 range if memory serves me right. Again interesting to see what's happening regarding the big claims by the owners who have done this mod.
Gus

kpw894

Inlet ducts

Postby kpw894 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:15 pm

What's the differenec between the inlet ducts FUT41405 and FUT 41210

(bottom of the page)

http://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/ ... 0_30_FA_20

and which one do I need for this mod?

Return to “Boxertech”