Avon calling?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

R-man

Tyres

Postby R-man » Wed Jun 20, 2012 8:33 pm

Have tried several types on my 2002 1100S. As I do around 11,000 miles p.a. my general idea is to make the 'old slug' fly without changing tyres so often, so always go for touring tyres

Sold s/h by BMW dealer to me with brand new Michelin Pilot Road (the original) and they were errm, OK...not great...couldn't wait to get shot of them. Profile reminded me of Dunlop Roadrunner of old but grip was def less the designer's priority than mileage, and I junked them after 5,000 miles before either was shot.

Then fitted WP shox f&r to replace the knackered originals:

Pirelli Diablo - good but R wore quickly in the middle despite lashings of cornering. Great feel to the edge (beyond chicken strips but not to the egde really) Very stiff carcasses, so needed to run them rather lower pressures, or knocked my fillings out. Rarely got more than 4,000 miles a pair, but great riding.

Pirelli Angel - better than Diablo at lower speeds, and excellent in wet; inspiring to ride until pushed hard, then they 'crept' a little giving loads of warning before even beginning to move around. Good wear - I was getting 5,000 F and 4,000 Rear.

Avon Storm Ultra II - best all-rounder I have tried so far, recent R did 7,000 and F 6,500 (Fronts seem to take a pasting on my bike) good predictable feel at all times, good in wet. I love the easy lean-in feel on these, so gradual and not slow to steer either. Been getting these by post from Wheelhouse Tyres in Brum and their prices are really good.

But in the end it comes down to experimentation, I guess most of us settle for a 'feel' we like.
R1100S current
K1200RS (2005-07) Autobahn-stormer
V-Strom (2004-05)
VFR800 (2003-04)
-in the 70s & 80s there were lots more...

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:29 am

The Avons were, and still are - a favourite of the Hayabusa brigade, I believe.

The Pirelli Angels tempted me once (really because they offered significant savings over the PR2) - but they aren't dual compound as far as I know - they only "emulate" that - by other means.

I'd always goi for a dual compound tyre these days, and quite happy to let the rest of the biking world do the testing before I commit to a new tyre. Cartainly wouldn't entertain the Metz M1/BT14 era tyres - old tech now.

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Sugarhillctd

Postby Sugarhillctd » Thu Jun 21, 2012 12:33 pm

I usually fit Michelin PR2 tyres on my K100RS.

Last year I thought I would try some Avon Ultra Storm tyres.

So far they are lasting well (possibly longer than the PR2) and stick to the road as far as I am going to push them- we use the K bike for 2-up day trips and longer.

Side note- I now have Michelin Pilot Power 2CT tyres on the BCR and those REALLY stick. Like them very much.
John
2003 R1100S Boxer Cup
1992 K100RS

slparry

Re: Tyres

Postby slparry » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:31 pm

R-man wrote:<snip> Profile reminded me of Dunlop Roadrunner of old but grip was def less the designer's priority than mileage, and I junked them after 5,000 miles before either was shot.

<snip>:

Pirelli Diablo - good but R wore quickly in the middle despite lashings of cornering. Great feel to the edge (beyond chicken strips but not to the egde really) <snip>

What's a Dunlop Roadrunner :) Avon did the roadrunners I think :) Dunlop did, at the time Red Arrows and TT100's

I used to use them until the Pirelli Phantoms came out :)

Bit puzzled by "beyond the chicken strips"?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Sat Jun 23, 2012 5:30 am

I think R-man was implying that his riding style produced a wear pattern less than "ragged to the very edge" and where the shiny part could be classed as a "chicken strip".

As an aside - I was talking to a Goldwing rider, while waiting for the ferry - and he related that many Goldwing riders in USA (on 2 wheels - not trikes :shock: ) - were using a car tyre on the rear!!!!! :shock:

Apparently they swear by them!

Anyone willing to dip their toes?........

Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

timbox2

Postby timbox2 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 6:55 am

Another :thumbright: for the Avon Storm Ultra 11, had them on the K13GT for 3000 miles now and very impressed, dont think they will last any longer than the others, Ive had PR3's, BT023GT's, and awful Z6's, but the handling is the best out of the bunch, wet grip is very good, and so far no sign of cupping on the front which all the others had by now. The PR3's did have astonishing wet grip by the way, but on my bike made the handling very slow and I got a horrible droning on certain road surfaces.
---------------------------

Return to “Boxertech”