Hawker Odyssey Battery

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Hawker Odyssey Battery

Postby Gromit » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:25 pm

Well...seems the old R's battery is in its final throes. :(

Even after a night on the Optimate (plug: tippety top piece of kit) the ol'girl's spinning over a bit slowly and showing alternate flashing ABS lights on start-up, meaning a low voltage. I'd been wondering for a while about the battery not giving max juice so it's time for a new 'un. Ah well...7 years out of a battery ain't too bad I guess.

These Hawker Odyssey batteries - I'll be ordering one soon, probably from Motoworks, but are they as good as they're reported to be? They're not cheap when a Yuasa (a reputable make in itself) for the BM's quite bit cheaper.

Didn't realise until recently that Harley Davidson OEM batteries are Hawker - so I guess if they'll start those buggers they'll start anything. :D

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:34 pm

Richard

Get the cheapest battery there is - you won't have the bike long enough to worry about it's life span. :lol:

Adam
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:36 pm

adamski49 wrote:Richard

Get the cheapest battery there is - you won't have the bike long enough to worry about it's life span. :lol:

Adam

:lol: :lol:

A moot point!! :D :D (I've a spare MZ battery in the garage - might try that) ;)

But didn't you know this is true lerrve??? :D

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sun Mar 07, 2004 9:59 pm

Richy poohs,they are the dogz.I have 2 now in different bikes.Excellent cranking power and you NEVER have to touch them EVER!
Bailey.

gus

Postby gus » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:15 pm

Richard
Look up KNIGHTS batteries.He is the main man for the hawker and can most likley do you u a deal.If you order more the price gets better,find out what model you need and do a group buy off 5 or more.I,m reckoning the PC 680 will be a universal fit on 4 valve boxers.
gus

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:35 pm

Gus - you're right mate, 'tis the very same one for all the R259's according to the Motoverks catalogue. :)

Thanks for the info Mr B...and if I change the R for another Boxer I can transfer the battery ;)

Gats

Postby Gats » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:37 pm

Go for it, Richard. The S back home has one and I haven't needed to touch it since I bought the bike 3 years ago. Mind, it's been recharged twice these last two years due to the silly sods minding BB not starting her now and then! :roll:
Gary Rose.
'06 R1200S Titanium with farkles - Moristech Pro Sequential Interceptor, full Remus system, carbon bits
'12 Tiger Explorer, loaded
'15 Triumph Thruxton ACE Cafe (hers)
-------------
A little inaccuracy saves a tonne of explanation.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:40 pm

Thanks Gary. :)

One thing I've been wondering; the Odyssey is taller than the OEM one - how did you go about securing it, bearing in mind the BM's rubber strap's shorter?

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sun Mar 07, 2004 10:57 pm

The one in my S is exactly the same size as the original.I got it secondhand from Motorworks.It was out of a police bike.
Touratech do one for the GS which is smaller;you need a special platfrom to sit it on!
Bailey.

Gats

Postby Gats » Mon Mar 08, 2004 12:52 am

Richard, the strap was broken last time I looked so I removed it. The battery has been sitting there ever since with no ill effects.
Gary Rose.

'06 R1200S Titanium with farkles - Moristech Pro Sequential Interceptor, full Remus system, carbon bits

'12 Tiger Explorer, loaded

'15 Triumph Thruxton ACE Cafe (hers)

-------------

A little inaccuracy saves a tonne of explanation.

winger

Postby winger » Mon Mar 08, 2004 7:57 am

Hi Richard

Gus was a little short with the actual!!!! he did the phoneing to Knights but needed a minimum order of five for a decent price,so muggins got involved to front the money!!!,i'm not sure what Bailey has got as the 680 is a lot taller,were as the next one down is the 5 something looks identical but is a nats to wide and certainley won't fit in the S,the guy from Knights brought both with him!!.

How to fit them go to a bike dealer ask to see a selection of battery straps you'll two to make something a nats longer than the original,or rig something up on the end of the original to make a tad longer,you can streach the original one but it'll break in the end.

I haven't even bothered putting mine on a Optimate this winter,they reckon without a drain on it it's for a year or so!!!!!,

Chris C

gus

Postby gus » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:34 pm

Yeah true,i needed a player to front the money.And you dont get no bigger than Mr C.I was a bit reluctate at first,as he has a fearsome reputation in the big bad world of underworld dealings and robbin post offices.I let him handle the deal as it was my first time and i didnt want to get shafted.Also the bloke was a liverpudlian!All went well and i coughed up my dough pretty sharpish.Although another party wasnt so quick and i believe he now props up part of a new office block.If you know what i mean1
gus

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Mon Mar 08, 2004 11:33 pm

Yeah for real....when Ice Cube talks about Tru Playaz,he is infact talking about Chris Canning and his fearsome possie.....

Tha way tha gangz parlez in the Brummie Bronx:

9mm=a spannah that don't quite fit a 10mm nut.

Ouzzy= tha stuff that leaks from ya gearbox.

Tool= somat that feels good in yer'and.

Drive-by=when you's messed up going past McDonalds instead of thru it.

Playaz= wot me old man used ta smoke.

Bitch=name of yer bike when it don't start.

Homie=that fat yella bloke in tha cartoon.

Brothers=Them bleedin'loud yanky cans.

Peace and out!
Bailey.(respect).

winger

Postby winger » Tue Mar 09, 2004 1:54 am

Hi Gents

Non of it true i'd like to point out!!!,so long as you prepared to buy at least five the guy was as sound as pound,he even delivered them to the door,although i still smile, when Dave mailed me that he wanted one sends me the money and three months latter still hadn't collected it!!!,in fact i think my mate in Coventry who had one took his of cuz he had a tank exstension.

Chris

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:46 am

Odessy, go for it Richard. Top battery and seems to hold a charge really well. I have really noticed the difference when I connect it to the Optimate, it seems like a few minutes and it's showing green and happy.

Chris sorted me out, and like Dave, it look me ages to sort out the logistics to collect it, nothing to do with Chris or the battery, just me being a lazy tw*t.

Regards,

Rob

Return to “Boxertech”