Chip v pressure reg

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Chip v pressure reg

Postby Gromit » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:31 pm

I'm thinking of ordering a K12 pressure reg from Motorworks - only about 30 quid apparently (I sent my old one to Gus but it seems to be off into the PO's ether somewhere - if anyone finds it will you let me know???). :mad:

Anyway...I've got the Laser chip but with the other mods - Lennie's tubing plus K&N I'm wondering if the chip will be enough and the bike'll still be running lean.

Been searching Pelican but can't get much in the way of a definitive outcome on what to do. :?

So...the fuel reg gives 8% more fuel across the range, but do I disconnect the 02 sensor to make it work? I have heard that disconnecting the 02 defaults the Motronic to a rich setting. Should I maybe just fit the fuel reg and not worry about the chip? (I haven't fitted the chip yet btw - I'll wait to see what to do before I order a fuel reg/start pulling the bike apart).

Thanks for any help :)

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:41 pm

I'd be very interested in the outcome of this. BMW fitted me the chip and y pices and end cans and filter.... and i have a lennies on the way, but am concerned about lean running.
Isnt there a connection on the fuse box that can be removed to default to run rich?
And is this the right way to go?
Should I go with a K12 regulator also?

Ive no idea lol
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Nov 15, 2004 12:45 pm

The GB Boxer Cup manager from 03 and 04 works at pidcocks in Nottingham or Derby (Mark) did some experimenting with the standard one on the bench - they can be adjusted if you can measure the pressure. I'll see if he's still there when I'm up there on Thursday and have a chat. From what I recall when I spoke to him at the NEC last year it didn't prove effective across the whole range when they dyno'd it after.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

gus

Postby gus » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:40 pm

Oh yeah
There is also a pair of indicator pods floating around the bermuda triangle postal service.
Maybe someones trying to build them selves an s for nowt!
There was an article in the evening mail a week or two back.The headline read "2500 letters dumped by postman".Enough said really!
Richard
I suggest you wait and get a power commander.
Feburary aint too far away.
gus

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Nov 15, 2004 5:45 pm

Gus - yup, it's the last time I use normal parcel post. :( :evil: We had 2 cheques sent to us last year (by family - birthday pressies sort of stuff) which went missing.

Power Commander would be great but tbh I don't really want to spend that kind of dosh, much as I'm sure it'd be the final answer.

I'm hoping the chip will be just enough - or maybe I'll flog it (it's still in its unopened box) and get a BBpower.

PB - I believe removal of the cat code plug (if your bike has one) makes it run richer; it's there to lean the bike up enough to meet emissions (cough spit) regs. I did the same on my 11R and it stopped surging immediately - used more gas though (about 10%).

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:25 pm

Well I've got your last Laser chip and also a K12 reg. Bike run just dandy. It's been up to a true 143mph and doesn't surge, no flat spots, power at all revs, so something must be right.

A while back one of the Pelican guys pit a chip against a fuel reg and the fuel reg produced more power.

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:36 pm

I too am interested in the outcome of this.

For what it is worth, mine has got the complete Laser system including chip fitted and it is running weak particularly in the mid range.

All the first steps that one can do, such as removal of the cat code plug and disconnection of the O2 sensor, apparently put the ECU back to a 'default rich' setting. Is this the same 'default rich' setting or will it get richer each time one of these actions is taken?

On a recent thread where Techlusion versus Power Commander was discussed, the main advantage for Power Commander was the ability to weaken the mixture as required. If the bike is running too weak throughout the rev. range, without any intake mods yet, presumably there would be no need to spend the extra money on a Power Commander?

Anyway one of the advantages of winter coming (arrived?) is that there is more time to work on the problem!

Oh no - I've just thought that through; there is also less opportunity for testing!!

Sorry - silly me!

Sandbar

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:01 pm

Sandbar - yup, same thing had crossed my mind - lots of time to fiddle but not a lot to check out the results!! :(

Andy - have you had yours on a dyno and/or had a gas analysis done? I'd be really interested to know what the results would be if you had.

Looking at the threads on Pelican (I've been off work today - needed to be with the amount of info on there!) it appears that the fuel reg does what a chip can do, but less subtly ie it forces more fuel through the injectors during the time they are 'open'. A chip will make the injectors fire for longer/shorter depending on the requirements of the engine. This however only works within certain parameters eg in the case of the Laser chip which (should) give an ideal mixture for use with their own pipework and no other mods.

Rob Wijhenke's site shows however that the fuel reg does make a very substantial difference and in the case of using Lennie's induct might just give enough juice to stop the motor running weak.

I then remember Malc saying that he had his S checked out with a gas sniffer whilst running a BBPower and Lasers, the results being absolutely spot-on.

It's all somewhat confusing. :?

Give me a pair of carbs anyday...far less grief (and a darn sight better looking) :)

oyster

fuel/air mix

Postby oyster » Mon Nov 15, 2004 7:37 pm

As you may be aware from my earlier posts, mine runs Lennies, K&N, Y pipe, stock exhaust/everything else engine. Having just put on new pair shocks, E=MC (front first for a while); I gave the bike a hammering for about fifty miles on saturday. Ten miles of hard open throttle. No more chicken strips on the tyres! AND no moans from the engine. No surging. There is a certain 'clockwork' groaning at steady 3 000 rpm though. I have a K12 reg in reserve, but at the moment it doesnt seem to need it.
You may recall Malc melted his pistons doing much the same as I have! The only sure way is to get it on to a dyno bench with a gas analyser shoved into the open end! :D
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:31 pm

Richy poohs ....the only thing disconnecting the sniffer does is to affect the low speed running...from tick over to 3000rpm.
After that it runs more or less the same.
My bike has holes in the map....but I could never be asked to mess around witha chip cos it really does hardly anything to the mixture.
I'd go for the reg everytime.
*No...infact I'd buy a set of Keihin Flatslides ...get yourself a true 120HP!
Bailey.

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:08 pm

IIRC Malcs bike was sniffed with the fuel reg and standard chip, which then showed an ideal mixture. The BBP chip was fitted when he had the meltdown.

I haven't had any analysis done on mine, dyno or sniffer, I don't think I need to really, it smells right and feels right, that's good enough for me.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Mon Nov 15, 2004 11:52 pm

Ah I have the BBpower chip so is that better than the laser one ie i can change settings to acomodate things?
Sorry if thats a bad question
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:48 am

Richard

Having just seen bradblacks reply on pelican why don't you try http://www.protwins.co.uk/ for an FIM chip. I rang up before I sold the Staintune on and the chip is about £160 but the difference is they need your bike to set up the map on the dyno.

If you make any further changes at a later date they can just plug it in again and re-map the chip on a PC. Not quite the same as a switchable BB chip but at least it will be acccurately set up to suit. I gather the set up cost will be on top of the cost of the chip.

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:20 am

Or, you could just bung in the chip and reg and know it's always gonna be within 8% of spot on :wink:

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:16 am

Thanks guys :)

Adam - the FIM chip sounds tempting, must admit. I'm slightly worried about fitting the fuel reg, not because of what it does, but reading the manual it states that the ABS unit needs to be removed to fit it (and the brakes bled afterwards - not fun with the ABS system).

Reckon it'll be time for a bit of dyno work too - I'm determined to get this thing running right :)

Return to “Boxertech”