Front Sub assembly

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

a-jay26

Front Sub assembly

Postby a-jay26 » Fri Mar 05, 2004 9:11 pm

Hi there,

Great new site. New been a Boxertrix person since I fell of the dam thing last summer...anyway.

The front sub frame on my bike is twisted....ie the sub frame that supports the lights, clocks, fuse boxes etc. I'm not sure how much a new item is but I was wondering if this sub frame could be re-jigged and straigtened. It's not too badly damaged but has anyone ever done this??

Thanks
Andy Stewart

julian

Postby julian » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:27 pm

Andy

Bailey and myself have tried it. Problem is that you straighten a bent bit and damage a good bit. I tried but ended up living with it, Bailey replaced his.

From Pelican board - some pictures

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthre ... genumber=1

Not much help now, but there a new front subframe on ebay a few weeks ago. He got it from Motorworks.

Julian

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:33 am

My 0.02p:
not worth trying to do anything with!!
make sure to order a new one.If they give you it off the shelf...say no thanks(it's probably bent already(do I sound jewish my boy?Mel Brooks?).
They are so bleedin fragile,unless it is 100% brand new...forget it.
Cost £200.00!
Bailey.

a-jay26

Thanks folks

Postby a-jay26 » Sat Mar 06, 2004 11:42 pm

Thanks for the replys guys. I kind of expected to be buying a new one. I will add it to my ever growing list. But I will say that BMW's crash bloody well. We (the bike and me) flew 30 feet into a field, an ambulance took me away and my mate picked my bike up, poked the mud out and rode it home....with a couple of holes in the rocker cover!! No panel damage at all...not even the screen broke, only the rocker cover and the right hand indicator bought it.

Do you think I should get the bike as a whole checked on a jig. I have stripped it right down and gone over the whole thing and can see no real damage...what say you all??

Thanx
Andy. :evil:

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:17 am

Pity you didn't ask last week a-jay, there was one for sale on EBay. Sods law huh?

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:37 pm

Darth_1100S wrote:Pity you didn't ask last week a-jay, there was one for sale on EBay. Sods law huh?

Dave.

Just happen to know someone who's bought this bike - it's a damn good one too. Well, it should be..I owned it for the first 20k. ;)

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Sun Mar 07, 2004 12:54 pm

BTW a-jay, it's always sensible to get a bike a checked out for alignment after any hefty "off". If nothing else it's worth it for the peace of mind. As long as you're still in one piece that's the important thing.

Hope you get sorted soon

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

minivin

Postby minivin » Sun Mar 07, 2004 1:02 pm

If your in the salisnury area then Hayball motorcycles has a LASER allignment set-up and if I remember correctly from when I got the T595 done after being rammed from behind it was £30
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

a-jay26

Thanks Folks

Postby a-jay26 » Mon Mar 08, 2004 10:39 pm

Just been to BMW and came out a great big bit lighter....

I have a boxer cup and those bloody carbon shield on the rocker cover and the front sub-assembly that is made of cheese cost me a fortune (£245 each..roughly!!!) The rest added up to next to nothing!!

Did you know that the belly pan is £950!!!!!

I have done all the work myself so I have probably saved a fortune. I looked at the sub frame and although it didn't look bad, it is a night mare to straighten so a new one is on its way....are they soft or what!!

Anyway god knows what to do with it now....time will tell

Thanks for all the replys

Andy

crucial

Postby crucial » Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:28 pm

Andy, I would definately check the the lugs on the rear frame where the subframe bolts on. When I crashed my s a couple of years ago two snapped of completely and two were cracked!! I've also tried to straighten a bent front subframe and ended up jumping up and down on it, in a Basil Fawlty type rage :evil: , needless to say i bought a brand new one!! :cry:

Return to “Boxertech”