greasy under swingarm

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

whats it to be?

Poll ended at Wed Mar 10, 2004 11:10 pm

swingarm oil?
No votes
gearbox oil?
50%
run over a greasy teenager?
No votes
shouldn't of had that kebab?
No votes
something more sinister...... maybe Aliens
50%

Total votes: 4

minivin

greasy under swingarm

Postby minivin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:10 pm

evening all

just been giving the bike a wash down due to all the salt, aint done it for a few days as got lazy when I normally clean it each night.

Anyhow, got checking under the swingarm for dirt and found a black patch atthe back where the wheel pivot box joint is, swiped my finger over it and it was very sticky, followed it forward and it also under the suspension strut mounting point and at the front....... but none has made it to the sides or on top. Smells very much like transmission oil rather than engine.

Sounds a bit sus to me....... any ideas?

Copied this also to Wally down CW motorcycles as the bike is still in warrenty :)
Classic Motorcycle Magazine, Young Motorcyclist of the Year 2003

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:14 pm

Rob - because tranny oil has such a distinctive aroma I'd reckon that's what it must be. Is there any weeping from the gearbox/main engine unit join, especially on the rhs? It often does so and tracks down to the 'fins' at the bottom, just to the rear and below the cylinder.

minivin

Postby minivin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:25 pm

yup, dfinately smelt very much like transmission fluid, the clutch has been faultless recently so from the middle of the gearbox forward is good, had a quick look under the gearbox and nothing too obvoius but will have a look in the light tomorrow.

hopefully it isn't too un-toward as it's only done 10,000 miles :shock:

Gromit wrote:Rob - because tranny oil has such a distinctive aroma I'd reckon that's what it must be. Is there any weeping from the gearbox/main engine unit join, especially on the rhs? It often does so and tracks down to the 'fins' at the bottom, just to the rear and below the cylinder.

minivin

Postby minivin » Fri Mar 05, 2004 4:54 pm

ahhhh, after a closer look in the daylight, we find that it's just dust at the front end while the only concentration is around the rear diff dust seal, will give it a degrease and see what comes back

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Sat Mar 06, 2004 1:39 am

Seal at bevelbox very often fails.This is a warranty job.Not for the faint hearted as you will need a special tool to remove the castle nut from the input shaft in the bevelbox.
Bailey.

minivin

Postby minivin » Sun Mar 07, 2004 11:39 am

oh joy ;) luckily got a service in a thousand miles so will let the service agent know there's a possible warranty claim and too get the tools ready :?

Return to “Boxertech”