Final Drive Bearing

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Skint

Postby Skint » Fri Mar 12, 2004 8:39 am

gus wrote:At 160nm torque on the fixed pivot pin and locknut,i dont reckon its gonna vibrate loose.I aint used none on mine since i changed the first set of bearings over 7000miles ago.When i put the new pins and new bearings in,it was still bloody tight.Feel free to do what ever you feel is needed but think about this,how many people or tyre places lockite their front caliper bolts.
gus

Gus, i do agree with you, i never loctite nowt, jut that the last time i did the pivots they vibed loose, even checked that the wrench was correct (it was), so i could only think of vibing loose, the bmw tech also said it ws the cause, will try the locktite and see..
When can the Highway agency lay softer road coverings??

Now rides a mangled wreck... Ho Hum back to the K100

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:17 am

Gus

I had an the alloy wheels on an Audi and an (old) Porsche both vibrate loose (very very loose in the case of the porker) and was told by an engineer it's not uncommon on alluminium for things like that to happen - is the swingarm alluminium ? Anyway, I don't reckon it's much overhead to loctite them. 15secs with a heat gun and they're as loose as you like.

I'd rather be safe than sorry with something a bolt taking a load like this one does :lol:

Jason

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:11 am

My bits arrived in the post this morning from Motorworks. 2 bearings 2 pins and the the locknut. The pins look suspiciously like titanium! They're beautifully made anyway. All I've got to do now is find the time to do the job, I'm in the middle of spraying the lads bike so don't really want to get the workshop covered in shite. I should have finished that next week so I'll start the Beemer then.

Dave.
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Return to “Boxertech”