shearing nuts...again.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

shearing nuts...again.

Postby Paul » Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:17 pm

Evening gents,

Just put the original 'zorst back on the mandarin S in preparation for sale (I'm still open to offers!). Took the Lasers off and one of the bolts holding the mid section to the headers sheared off :x . I tried drilling into it then using a stud extractor, but the stud extractor snapped off and appears to be hewn from kryptonite or some such, and is resisting my renewed drilling efforts. Any sensible suggestions for the next course of action?

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Boxadog 2000

Shearing nuts again

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:12 pm

Technical term this

YOURE FUCKED.

Machine shop job or spark eroding.

Bob

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Sat Jun 19, 2004 10:10 pm

blow lamp and mole grips, or drill it out from the other side.

mdouglas

Postby mdouglas » Sun Jun 20, 2004 10:01 am

It's not clear what stage you've got to. If I remember correctly, the threaded part is the y-piece. Have you been able to at least drill the heads off the bolts so that you can get the y-piece on the bench ? Or is it still stuck on the bike?

air_cooled67

Postby air_cooled67 » Sun Jun 20, 2004 7:14 pm

You are correct, stud extractors are made of a special type of Kryptonite, designed to snap off at the most inconvienient time and place. Throw them in the bin! Try welding a bit of threadded bar to the stud you have left. Use two nuts locked together to remove it. The heat of the weld will also help to losen the offending stud. And good luck with it!!!!!

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:28 pm

Paul

I had same - it's a bastard innit. Some bloke told me of a local place that uses a laser to get them out - sounds expensive though. Those stud extractors are a complete waste of money - the small ones ALLWAYs break

I did manage to drill mine, but you need to start with a small pilot hole like 2mm and work up. If it's off the bike then find someone with a pillar drill cos that will make it 3000% easier I reckon

good luck

jason

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:29 pm

Thanks for the advice guys. I have decided to put it in the darkest corner of the garage and sulk for a while...
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Malc

Postby Malc » Sun Jun 20, 2004 8:59 pm

There is a way to do it but it's not pretty. Get the remains of the bolt level with the mid section, this should be easy witha file as it's a mild steel bolt that's stuck in diamond har stainless. Centre punch for niceness then start the buttery.

Use a masonery drill to make a clearance fit hole in the laser section. All it means is that whoever buys it has to use a nut and bolt rather than the thread in the mid section. Lean on the drill as hard as you dare, the drill heats up quite quickly so you melt rather than drill though it. You'll get molton metal falling out so be careful.

It worked for me anyway.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:05 pm

same thing happened to me.

after drills, stud extractors, blow torches, and swearing took it to the local engineering shop 30 quid. :roll:

and then sold the zorst :lol:
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

gus

Postby gus » Sun Jun 20, 2004 9:49 pm

Whats all this talk about engineering shops,pillar drills etc?
This is boxertrix mechanics,whatever happened to "twat it with a hammer".I,m very dissapionted with this technical twoddle. :wink:
gus

carlk

Postby carlk » Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:10 am

Oh, err sorry,

twat it with a hammer untill you feel better then put it back in the corner of the garage and sulk some more :wink: :wink: :)
traffic Dodger

julian

Postby julian » Mon Jun 21, 2004 9:56 am

Paul

Just uses a pair of small molegrips to keep the two halfs together? Have the handles pointing up so it doesn't cause problems with ground clearance.

Have you tried using a cobalt drill bit?

JK
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:48 am

Mole grips :lol: superb that's one of the better ones I've heard .

Julian's right, just get a decent drill bit, or rather a couple samll to get a pilot hole and then bigger to enlarge. I had the same problem during my winter strip donw except it was all four of the little poppets for me :shock:

When you buy your drill bits make sure that you buy some cutting compound ( temaxol or similar ) you don't need much but don't be shy with it, and keep the drill speed SLOW !

They'll come out no problem, you can then chase the threads to recover them.
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

gus

Postby gus » Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:24 pm

theseadog wrote:Mole grips :lol: superb that's one of the better ones I've heard .

Julian's right, just get a decent drill bit, or rather a couple samll to get a pilot hole and then bigger to enlarge. I had the same problem during my winter strip donw except it was all four of the little poppets for me :shock:

When you buy your drill bits make sure that you buy some cutting compound ( temaxol or similar ) you don't need much but don't be shy with it, and keep the drill speed SLOW !

They'll come out no problem, you can then chase the threads to recover them.

Then twat it with a hammer?
I cant see enough hammer action in your method at all.2/10 for effort though! :wink:
gus

Return to “Boxertech”