Extra Fuel Capacity.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Boxertools

Extra Fuel Capacity.

Postby Boxertools » Mon May 31, 2004 6:49 pm

I would like more fuel capacity & have been following a thread on Pelican.
Any suggestions (appart from carrying a Jerry can or filling the panniers)?
Lloyd did you say you had a mod?

Mike h

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon May 31, 2004 7:38 pm

Yes, 4.5 litres additional as long as you DON'T have ABS.
Will post details if required or phone me or Chris.

Lloyd

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Mon May 31, 2004 9:21 pm

Lloyd, I don't have abs, and 4.5 litres seems like quite a lot. I cant see where a gallon can might fit.
I would like more info.
The pelican man is offering a tank at $275 plus postage, what did yours cost?
Are they available now?
Thanks for the input on the autocom thing by the way.
Mike.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon May 31, 2004 9:34 pm

Mike,
I think Chris has one sitting on his garage wall already modded that he cannot fit because of taller battery he has fitted, mine was £150 + vat to do the work.They are not available off the shelf.
The extra capacity comes from the space in front and above the battery where the optional ABS gubbins sits.

Lloyd

winger

Postby winger » Mon May 31, 2004 9:44 pm

I do in deed!!!!!

Chris

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Mon May 31, 2004 9:48 pm

Chris, I would be very interested in the tank.
How do I know if my bike has the taller battery & why would it have one.

Mike

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon May 31, 2004 10:22 pm

Aftermarket batteries (ie Hawker) are sometimes taller to get more cranking power from the same base dimensions. If yours is the original bmw then it should be ok, but I can measure mine if you want to be sure.

Lloyd

stempy
Captain

Postby stempy » Mon May 31, 2004 11:15 pm

Sorry to interject, but does this involve turning the ECU so it lies flat :?:Image

winger

Postby winger » Tue Jun 01, 2004 6:42 am

Hi Gents

It's funny how things can run away from the actual!!! if you ain't carefull!!

Mike.Technically it's not for sale,if you want to supply me with you tank and the money you can have it,as it will save you the waiting time,although after your torque wrench comment at the BMF,you'll have to get someone to do it for you as it's fiddly,and the connections on the pipes are a pain,although there are several ways around that.

Although Lloyd is right about the cranking power,it (they) (i did a group buy last year) are maintainance free,unlike the standard one's,and that was my main reason for buying one,i didn't even have it connected to an Optimate during the winter.

Andy is incorrect that you need to move the ECU,there are three tanks in existance in the UK,and i can assure you thats not the case,as when i was sourceing someone to do the job(and no i'm not makeing anything out of it),and you can deal direct with the man that does e'm that was the bench mark,and the tanks done in the Uk are,e'rrrr shall we say some what better than the junk in Andy's picture,that was done a couple of years ago and a long way from these shores!!!!!.

My reasoning for not useing it at the moment,is i prefer the maintainance free battery to the extra tank range,but thats only at the moment!!.

There could be a second option,in that the next model down from the batteries we bought,looked like it would fit,untill you offered it up and it was a nats to big,so it may be possible to do a cut and shut on the battery carrier,and have the best of both worlds!!!.

Chris

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Tue Jun 01, 2004 7:51 am

OK, am I right in thinking that this is an alteration to the existing tank rather than an additional tank as on the pelican site at the moment?
If this is the case, I would be happy to exchange tanks, but I had wondered if I might be able to sort it out before my Scotland trip June 11th.

Mike.
01328 700707 if you would prefer to phone.

Boxertools

Postby Boxertools » Wed Jun 02, 2004 8:05 pm

Lloyd, I spoke to Chris today & recomends not doing a tank swap just before my Scotland trip.
So I will contact you both after the trip.

Mike

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sat Jun 12, 2004 8:42 am

Paul,
Mike confirmed by text that he definately want the tank from Chris on his return, Chris can possibly advise on lead time for the next one coz he normally meets up with the welder over the weekend.

Lloyd

Return to “Boxertech”