Black plastic cylinder head covers (fitting)

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Penfold

Black plastic cylinder head covers (fitting)

Postby Penfold » Sun May 16, 2004 10:15 pm

Anyone got any tips for fitting these damned things? The instructions say to not put any stress on them but I very nearly resorted to a rubber mallet in order to get the holes to line-up so the bolts don't go in at an angle! I even wondered about popping them in the microwave to get them hotter than the cylinder heads, but there's bound to be a better way. Isn't there.....?
Thanks,
Jan
"Crumbs Chief! What do we do now?"

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Mon May 17, 2004 7:37 am

Sorry - not really any tips appart from the usual. Mine fitted reasonably easily.

I would say just put each bolt in 2 rotations to allow maximum movement for lining up then once they're all located tighten um up but no doubt you've tried that already.

good luck

Jason

Darth_1100S
Location: It has a pier but it it ain't Blackpool or Brighton

Postby Darth_1100S » Mon May 17, 2004 8:42 am

Jan, I never had a problem fittng mine, Where did you get yours from, are you sure they're genuine BMW ones? Their stuff fits quite well usually.

Dave 8)
If at first you don't succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried.

Harry

Postby Harry » Mon May 17, 2004 2:04 pm

jan,
Mine were a bit of a struggle but I seem to remember in the end they went on easier starting with the front bolts and easing it on towards the rear, rather than the otherway round.

HTH
harry.

Rob B

Postby Rob B » Mon May 17, 2004 4:25 pm

yep, mine where a fight too.

Struggle away.

Rgds, Rob

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Mon May 17, 2004 4:32 pm

I briefly considered getting a pair of these, but decided against it because:

1) they are ugly
2) they (used to?) cost more than a replacement pair of magnesium covers
3) I wear the scratch on my cylinder head covers with pride. I can't show the only other evidence of getting my cylinder head down, since they came back from the laundry as good as new :wink: .

Cheers,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Tue May 18, 2004 9:22 am

Paul wrote:I briefly considered getting a pair of these, but decided against it because:

1) they are ugly
3) I wear the scratch on my cylinder head covers with pride. I can't show the only other evidence of getting my cylinder head down, since they came back from the laundry as good as new :wink: .

Cheers,

Paul

if it's the GS ones he's fitting they only cost 70 each - I can't see head covers being less.

I've got some Stanton's on order. I'll let you all know what they're like when I get em. :D
non quod, sed quomodo

winger

Postby winger » Tue May 18, 2004 8:13 pm

What hasn't been mentioned is how many types there are,and i'm not sure they have all the same fittings,blimey i bought mine over 3 years ago when they were completely unheard of,and i could right a book and how i tracked e'm down and were i got them from,how do mine fit??their lock wired on,but i was sent silicon to glue them on!!!.

Chris

Penfold

Postby Penfold » Tue May 18, 2004 10:33 pm

Darth_1100S wrote:Jan, I never had a problem fittng mine, Where did you get yours from, are you sure they're genuine BMW ones? Their stuff fits quite well usually. Dave 8)

Genuine BMW brand Dave, though not new.

Jan
"Crumbs Chief! What do we do now?"

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed May 19, 2004 4:14 am

RiceBurner wrote:
Paul wrote:I briefly considered getting a pair of these, but decided against it because:

1) they are ugly

Cheers,

Paul

if it's the GS ones he's fitting they only cost 70 each - I can't see head covers being less.

I've got some Stanton's on order. I'll let you all know what they're like when I get em. :D

RB,

£70 a side for a crappy bit of plastic? When I had to replace my left hand magnesium cylinder head cover two years ago, I purchased a new one from SPC for about £55. I'd 'phone your friendly franchised dealer and ask the question.

I rest my case.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

winger

Postby winger » Wed May 19, 2004 6:47 am

Blimey 55 quid!!! when my covers get scratched for all sorts of reasons,just re-spray with a 2 quid can of paint and if i do fall of the bloody thing,i've some chance of keeping the rocker cover intact,as opposed to no chance,cuz their as soft as shit.

Chris

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Wed May 19, 2004 9:08 am

I think they are great. I dropped my bike pulling out of my drive on some ice this winter. After a slide of a couple of metres, the bike was in gear and still running doing slow piroettes on the ground. The plastic covers took all the force and scraping. Not a scratch on the rocker covers. Also they spread the load of any impact making it less likely that you will hole the cover. They aren't cheap but they did the job when I needed them.

Mark

PS Cheaper at Motoworks (as ever!)

Return to “Boxertech”