air box removal

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

tripe

air box removal

Postby tripe » Fri May 11, 2007 9:39 pm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2002-BMW-R1100S-R ... dZViewItem
i was just looking at this on fleabay and noticed that the airbox seems to have been dispensed with in place of external air filters.

Any one tried this :?:
I'm guessing that if it was a good idea that there would have been more going down this route rather than superfilter and lennies

twodear

Postby twodear » Fri May 11, 2007 9:50 pm

Airboxes are proven to help carburation by providing a volume of air at a relatively stable pressure. Even engines using supercharging typically have a plenum chamber for the same purpose.
If enough is enough and more is better than too much should be just about right.

turboferret

Postby turboferret » Tue May 15, 2007 1:36 am

Airboxes are generally good, but it depends on how well they are designed.

The manufacturer's objectives may or may not correlate directly with your own, so something like intake noise might not be a concern to you, while it would be to the majority of consumers.

You may like to have a look here to see their take on the whole airbox issue.

I must say their exhausts look pretty horrible sticking out 6" the back of where a nice pair of R1100S pipes normally sit, but I'd be intrigued to give their intake system a try.

Cheers, Rich

Nero

Postby Nero » Tue May 15, 2007 12:08 pm

There's chapter & verse on this subject over on Pelican, in particular the system by www.rbracing-rsr.com

The ugly Black Hole exhaust has severe issues with finish quality; as for the alternative to the airbox, several over at Pelican have tried to get hold of the airbox alternative but the supplier doesn't seem able to supply! :?

I'd be interested to see how much difference (if any) their intake system has over an SJ powerfilter & Lennies

Nero

turboferret

Postby turboferret » Tue May 15, 2007 12:20 pm

The actual intake system looks pretty simple, and shouldn't require much in the way of fabricating or parts to make something similar.

If I was in the UK where my bike is, rather than being in Brazil, I'd be keen to make something up and try, but without a PCIII and a dyno, it would probably be a bit pointless.

Certainly something for the future though :D

Cheers, Rich

oyster

Postby oyster » Tue May 15, 2007 6:46 pm

I suspect that if the RB racing exhaust/intake system was the business, we would have heard about it big time. They will only sell the exhaust system only; or exhaust system + complete intake system.
I have PC111 wideband fitted, so if anyone wants to sponsor this system, I am prepared to try it. 8)
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Return to “Boxertech”