ABS Pump failure

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Huw

ABS Pump failure

Postby Huw » Sat Oct 08, 2005 10:09 am

Greetings,

Just a warning to all those who do more than 3K p.a - I had the "S" in for the 60 thou service and, post work, the compooter would not sign the bike off as there was a problem with the brake pressures. A week of trying everything (I trust Williams Manc to do the job right) eventually persuaded the 'pooter to sign off.

A week later on the North bound, unlit, M6 the brake/ABS lights came on and I lost the brakes. Stopped/coasted to safety from "normal" motorway speeds to be recovered by BMW after 3 hours.

After a week off the road I'm told that the problem is the main ABS pump which has failed. Cost of replacement is £1,400....thank goodness I paid the £650 to extend the BMW warrenty as the job will cost me n'owt.

Any how, recent events such as this have convinced me that courier work requires back-up so I'm off now to collect the K1200RS- 8 year old 12k on the clock, beautiful condition and a price I'm prepared to pay.

Ride safe chums.

Huw

Topcat

Postby Topcat » Sun Oct 09, 2005 11:05 am

Bloody hell, thats a bit worrying. Glad to hear you are okay.
I do not do that sort of milage but the pump failing and no brakes is scary.
How old is the bike?
I've just NOT extended the warrenty so bloody hell again!!

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Sun Oct 09, 2005 8:56 pm

..........back to the same old chestnut.......do you really need ABS with all its potential drawbacks. No substitute for excellent brakes with good feel and lots of practice in all weathers.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:12 am

Working on the basis that you only use the brakes when you need them (bit like fire extinguishers) - That is bloody terrifying :shock:

I once accidently switched off the ignition on my bike while doing "normal" motorway speeds in the outside lane ( I was returning my visor cleaning cloth to its place above the instruments).

That was bad enough, but at least I had brakes!

I don't think I've heard of car ABS failing to "no brakes" :?:

Glad you made it to a stop with nothing more than pants damage :shock:

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:29 am

I find that distinctly worrying as well. I thought the whole deal with ABS was design around fail safe systems, i.e. you might lose your anti-skid capability, but not your braking system.

I find it a bit weird (and very scarey) that a single component failing could result in no brakes at all.

Did you end up with no brakes at all?
Harry Lime

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:51 am

It's got me going, this one.

So I read http://cannon-bmw.co.uk/cannon/htm/IntegralABS.htm and from the information therein, I really can't see how it left you with no brakes at all.

Does your bike have the integral braking system, or the earlier none integral one?

Is it a servo assisted system?

A SPOF (Single Point of Failure) for all the braking systems on a vehicle is a *huge* saftey issue which I can't believe would get past type approval anywhere in the world.
Harry Lime

Delpel

Postby Delpel » Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:31 pm

There have been lots of examples of this happening. Brake failing leaving you with residual brakes only. Check out the GS and ADV sites. :shock:

On the GS I am rebuilding I am having issues with the Servo/ABS system The answer is to rip all that crap out, fit straight through braided lines to each caliper. No fuss, no nonsense just good old fashioned, reliable brakes.
TTFN and enjoy the weather where ever you are!!

Derek 8) 8) 8)

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:51 pm

Delpel wrote:On the GS I am rebuilding I am having issues with the Servo/ABS system The answer is to rip all that crap out, fit straight through braided lines to each caliper. No fuss, no nonsense just good old fashioned, reliable brakes.

Here, here :wink:
Lloyd

Huw

Postby Huw » Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:22 pm

Apologies for late response-been on a London job and discovered that the K12RS has non-working cooling fans :x Managed to get back home but it's another visit to Shipley tomorrow! Just hope that boiling the motor has done no irreprable damage.

The R11S is an '02 on an '02 plate and yes it has the servo assist. There was residual braking (non-servo) but that has always been as effective as a chocolate fireguard!!

Maybe I'll buy a white van and stay dry????

Huw

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:19 am

Huw wrote:Maybe I'll buy a white van and stay dry????

Huw

You may stay dry but you won't cover many miles (esp in London) very quickly :!:
Lloyd

eggcup

ABS

Postby eggcup » Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:52 pm

When I test rode the BCR as they had sold the last 2nd hand 1100s the salesman said im afraid this bike doesnt have ABS but to me I much prefer it without, my reason being I have other bikes and jumping from one with and then without is asking for trouble.
all my bikes have the 4 pot brembos and i cant fault them at all the only problem seems to be getting the right pad material.
ian

Harry Lime

Postby Harry Lime » Thu Oct 13, 2005 8:18 am

Phew! Well that's a relief. I had visions of zooming down an Alpine pass and being left with no brakes.

My '99 S has none servo ABS. Not my choice, just came with the bike. I'm the third owner.

In my experience, ABS works well on wet, slippery city streets and junctions, gravel strewn roads etc.

You don't stop any quicker, you just don't worry about the front tucking (as an occasional off roader, I don't give a damn about the back sliding about).

Wet sessions at Cadwell? Didn't activate it more than once I think.

So for me - ABS, yes. But expensive and dangerous failures thereof, obviously not.

The note about 'other bikes'. Well, if you regularly brake so hard that the ABS cuts in, I'd agree. But for me, the ABS is a luxury and not something I would deliberately activate on a regular basis - just as I don't regularly lock the front or rear when braking on a none ABS road bike.

Enjoyed all the interesting comments from all of you though.

I'm trying to imagine ABS on my trials bike! Hmmm. Maybe on the front.
Harry Lime

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu Oct 13, 2005 7:00 pm

Harry Lime wrote:I'm trying to imagine ABS on my trials bike! Hmmm. Maybe on the front.

The ABS system would probably weigh more than a whole trials bike :!: (slight exaggeration......but not much :wink: )
Lloyd

Return to “Boxertech”