Over heating posable ?

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gruffalo

Over heating posable ?

Postby Gruffalo » Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:18 pm

Hi all a question if I may my,
today on the way home I filled up with petrol
And withn 12 miles, it started a miss fire at low revs,
If I increase the Revs the misfire stops as I drove home and get decidedly worse and actually cut out three times when I pulled up to traffic lights,

The engine also smelt like it was running very hot, and was possibly sounding a bit rough.
So I wasn't too sure whether the oil was low ( although it's just come back from the service including oil)

Anyhow I got home checked the plugs and they looked fine colour condition,
Engine was very very hot took about two hours to call down to a normal temperature,
I did check the oil and the glass bowl is virtually full
But as soon as I start the engine it will completely empty remembering that when I checked the engine was still relatively hot.

And when I turn it off it will fill back up

Is it because today was a very hot day or am I overlooking some fundamental flaw in the 11s
Any suggestions would be grateful
R1100S previously F650cs, R1, BKing, Deltabox Street-fighter , imported Vulcan ( don't ask why) Z1300, 900f, then GT 750 , 550, 380, 185, xr 500
IT 465 Harley Davidson Fat Bob

Gruffalo

Postby Gruffalo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 8:44 am

Hi yes I believe so, when I checked the oil and actual engine was hot as in could not rest your hand on it, because my first thought was either
A: not enough oil in it
B: the wrong type of oil
Because the engine appeared to be passably over heating ?
Tand as soon as I start the engine the glass viewing window empties
And as soon as I switch the engine it will start to bubble back through..
R1100S previously F650cs, R1, BKing, Deltabox Street-fighter , imported Vulcan ( don't ask why) Z1300, 900f, then GT 750 , 550, 380, 185, xr 500

Merecat

Postby Merecat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:46 pm

If the Lambda sensor was dicky i assume that you would see the that reflected in the plug colour.

12 miles after filling up? poor grade fuel?

Let me ask. If the bike hadn't have run rough and cut out, would you have noticed the engine temperature and though it was too hot?

Check the simple things first:

Are the rubber caps on the small outlet on the throttle bodies where you connect the Twinmax to?

Are the throttle bodies synced OK

Stupid i know but is the oil filter screwed home and tight?

Are the fins on the oil cooler blocked?
Mick

2001 R1100s Frost Blue

Its not going the fastest,

Its stopping the quickest

Gruffalo

Postby Gruffalo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:07 pm

Thanks for the responses I think I will have a look tonight it did have a service oil filter and had valves looked at ect

Will look at filter and oil cooler when I get home

Gruffalo

Postby Gruffalo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:53 pm

And I would have noticed as it was also smelling and I could feel the heat between my legs (that sounds Wrong)

Droptarotter

Postby Droptarotter » Thu Jul 17, 2014 3:47 pm

Sounds more like you got some bad fuel???

Why not remove the fuel in the tank and get some new fuel from a different source??

Cheers

Gruffalo

Postby Gruffalo » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Fuel I will try the fuel although the station I used was a Shell station and I got to used the pump after they had just finished testing it ??

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:17 pm

Hmmm. My R1200S started playing up yesterday in a similar way. I first noticed the tick over was very slow, almost like a big single. Then next stop it was dead as I pulled in the clutch at lights. After a while it seemed ok again, but the problem came back again. It was fun (not) trying to keep it running through Banbury with every traffic light agin me.

Took it for another run this evening and while it didn't cut out, the tick over got very slow and lumpy on occasions again. Crack the throttle a whisker and it ticks over as normal. Once underway, it seems fine.

This started near the end of a tankful, and I have filled up again, so I don't think it is fuel quality in my case.

I'd be interested to hear what fixes it for you Gruffalo.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:02 pm

Droptarotter wrote:Sounds more like you got some bad fuel???

Why not remove the fuel in the tank and get some new fuel from a different source??

Cheers

:thumbup:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Droptarotter

Postby Droptarotter » Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Grip Fast wrote:Hmmm. My R1200S started playing up yesterday in a similar way. I first noticed the tick over was very slow, almost like a big single. Then next stop it was dead as I pulled in the clutch at lights. After a while it seemed ok again, but the problem came back again. It was fun (not) trying to keep it running through Banbury with every traffic light agin me.

Took it for another run this evening and while it didn't cut out, the tick over got very slow and lumpy on occasions again. Crack the throttle a whisker and it ticks over as normal. Once underway, it seems fine.

This started near the end of a tankful, and I have filled up again, so I don't think it is fuel quality in my case.

I'd be interested to hear what fixes it for you Gruffalo.

My 12S does the same thing.......whenever it wants to.......not all the time, just occasionally.

When it first started to happen the cause was a faulty clutch switch. I could hear the switch "switching" but when hooked up to the GS911 I could see that the switch was not working all the time.
I traded my brake light switch for the clutch switch and that cured the problem.......for a while!

What I do know once the bike is stalling is re-sync the stepper motors with the GS911 tool.
Doing the re-sync brings the idle back to normal and no more stalling for a little while.

Hope that works for you.

Cheers

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Wed Jul 23, 2014 2:32 pm

I called the local BMW dealer and asked what the prime suspects are, and he said it's almost certainly a coil that's on its way out. He said to do a physical eyeball of them for corrosion or damage.

I'll also try the check that the smudger posted the other day (good timing - thanks).

It could be a corrosion problem from when I hit the flood water coming back from MoT the other week. It forced water in lots of places and maybe there has been water ingress into the coils that has been sitting there while I've been on hols.

I'll let you know what I find, if anything.

Grip Fast

Postby Grip Fast » Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:18 pm

Stick coils shiny and clean and no sign of moisture.

Ticking over sweet as a nut with secondaries connected and disconnected. Next step, take it for a run to get it really sweaty to see if the tick over goes lumpy again, then repeat smudger test.

One hour later...

20 mile run in heat wave, with some rush hour traffic to add to the heating effect, and...

Nothing! Still running fine. Ah well, watch this space.

Gruffalo

Booked mine in

Postby Gruffalo » Wed Jul 23, 2014 8:51 pm

His lot of good info on this one, I have booked mine in to RGS Motorsport
Tomorow for a rolling road test as I have swapped out the petrol and losing the will to live on this one grrrrrrrrr !!
Will let you know how it goes

tanneman

Postby tanneman » Wed Jul 23, 2014 10:02 pm

I know them and the guy there that does the motorcycle tuning. He knows his stuff.
'Let me check my concernometer.'

Gruffalo

RGS

Postby Gruffalo » Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:37 am

I had them do a couple of my cars in the past, will be interesting to see what they find out

Return to “Boxertech”