Bike not going straight.

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

er-minio

Bike not going straight.

Postby er-minio » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:03 pm

Ok, all beemers tend to go a bit to the right. No news here.

Problem is that my R1100S BCR, tends to go a lot to the right.

Never had any issues with my R1150R before this one, then drove Metropolis2k's R1100S and goes straight, no problems there.

I didn't notice the problem ages ago when I bought the bike.

I started noticing it a couple of years ago. It's nothing terrible, but lately is getting more annoying.

So, last year had the bike checked at the dealer. They say the forks are straight, the bike is sound, doesn't look she has been in any accident, they replaced all the bearings on the shaft as there was too much play and that could let the bike tend to the right.
This set me back a shitload of money, but no cigar.
I don't have the steering damper, but that should not affect it.

After much thinking (and thinkering) I came to the conclusion that the Ohlins could be the culprit here.

When I had them installed I asked the mechanic to extend both of them to the maximum lenght... so maybe the bike is completely fucked up in suspension setting, and this is exacerbating the slight tendency of boxer bikes to tend to the right...

Also, another thing I observed is: the more weight you put on the back of the bike, the more it tends to steer right.

Riding solo: ok. If you leave the handlebars, it starts steering to the right lightly.
With passenger: you feel that you have to push more with your left arm
Passenger with bag: annoying on longer distances

After the trackday beginning of june, I came home from Snetterton, and my left arm was aching more than the right one...

Any ideas?
Might the rear frame be bent or something, so the load on the bike is uneven?

I'm considering taking off the Ohlins next week, reset them to factory settings and take the bike for a spin.

This thing is bothering me pretty much. Especially because I'm planning to keep this bike, so before going on in "restoring" some bits and leave it in the garage... I would like to be sure that it goes straight as she is supposed to do. :D

Tyre wear looks normal.

70tno

Postby 70tno » Fri Jun 28, 2013 5:58 pm

Well mine always pulls to the left if I let go of the bars, never right!
I have Wilbers front and back on mine, set to standard, but I think it did it even with the standard shocks on.
Only the person who risks is truly free.

Black 1100s

andy griff

Postby andy griff » Fri Jun 28, 2013 8:49 pm

This is indicative of ball joint wear. My first one (2000) did this and a new ball joint was the answer :D

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Fri Jun 28, 2013 11:02 pm

The ball joint was replaced three years ago.

When I bought it was missing the rubber cover. So, after a while I had it replaced at service.

Is there anything I can manually check (wear, marks, etc)?

boxerscott

Postby boxerscott » Sat Jun 29, 2013 12:00 am

Front brake caliper problem?
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:09 am

Don't think the caliper has anything to do with it.

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Mon Jul 01, 2013 10:25 am

You're not carrying a back injury are you? I tend to favour one side or the other depending on which side of my back is in spasm at the time so the bike is very seldom upright in a straight line
Before i knew i had degenerative disc disorder people behind me noticed that my bike was always leaning to one side or the other when on a straight road
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

conkerman

Postby conkerman » Mon Jul 01, 2013 11:46 am

Have you had a check of the rear end of the bike? Paralever bearings etc.
Gary

metropolis2k

Postby metropolis2k » Mon Jul 01, 2013 12:11 pm

Dai wiskers wrote:You're not carrying a back injury are you? I tend to favour one side or the other depending on which side of my back is in spasm at the time so the bike is very seldom upright in a straight line
Before i knew i had degenerative disc disorder people behind me noticed that my bike was always leaning to one side or the other when on a straight road

Er-minio and I swapped bikes immediately after I bought my S and it did the same for me when I rode his. He found my bike went straight (well, more straight).

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Mon Jul 01, 2013 4:03 pm

Yes, I have a back injury (old motorbike accident).

But, as metropolis2k said, we swapped bikes, tested a few times.
Everytime I have a problem on the bike, I assume the problem is me first.
So I tried to take me out of the equation :wink:

Rear end of the bike, as written in the original post, has been taken apart from the dealer, bearings changed, then put back in place.

er-minio

Postby er-minio » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:16 pm

Wheels not properly aligned. Steering plate slightly out of centre.

Got it all fixed last Thursday. Drives much better.
It still tends a little bit to the right because of the tyre wear, but I'll be 100% sure it's solved at the next tyre change.

slparry

Postby slparry » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:20 pm

er-minio wrote:Wheels not properly aligned. Steering plate slightly out of centre.

It still tends a little bit to the right because of the tyre wear, but I'll be 100% sure it's solved at the next tyre change.

Steering plate? What's that then?
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:43 am

slparry wrote:
er-minio wrote:Wheels not properly aligned. Steering plate slightly out of centre.

Steering plate? What's that then?

+1?

Plane? The mind biggles.

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:43 pm

Torque steer caused by crankshaft rotation = veering to the right
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Corvus

Postby Corvus » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:05 pm

The Teutonic Tangerine wrote:Torque steer caused by crankshaft rotation = veering to the right

Is that a "steady state" phenomenon? ie: a steady amount of transmitted torque induces a certain amount of counter steer to cancel it. I'm struggling to see how that can be.

Isn't it more of an "instantaneous" phenomenon, in reaction to accelerating or decelerating the crank/clutch inertia mass?

It seems to be just as violent on the stand, in neutral, in reaction to a blip of the throttle. In that example there is zero transmitted torque, yet the reaction is very noticeable.

Return to “Boxertech”