Puncture AGAIN!

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Motocod

Puncture AGAIN!

Postby Motocod » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:08 am

I don't know whether it's my magnetic personality, but in the last year I've had four punctures. Yesterday I pulled a little 2mm diameter tack out of my back tyre.

First question, has anyone got any experience of using their own puncture repair kits? I'm quite wary of what/whether to use anything, for the sake of safety, but equally I'm tired of spending £35 a time at my bike shop to have it professionally repaired. I'd love it if I could get a kit I can use myself to do the job. Any suggestions?

Secondly, I have a brand new set of tyres in the shed that I bought for my (now ex) Multistrada. They are Pirelli Scorpions, like these:

They're supposedly a dual-sport type thing. That said, they're the right sizes, and are definitely more biased towards sports than knobblies. The new 1200 Multistrada uses them, and having ridden one I can say that's a very sporty beast. Any thoughts?

My thinking is I had the same tyres on a Cagiva Gran Canyon and never had any punctures in more than three years. Either I was just lucky, or the more blocky tread proved a little more resilient.

I always try not to ride on debris and parts of the road less used by other road users, so I've no idea why I seem to be attracting so many nails, but it's bloody annoying!

Nik

DaveH

Postby DaveH » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:29 am

Tried em all and the Stop n Go Tyre plugger is the best I've come across
Machined out of billet aluminium and inserts a proper 'mushroom' into the tyre.

I was running one of these repairs in one of my Shogun tyres for three years and never lost any pressure.

Carry a kit on all of my bikes.

You can buy without the canisters if you've already got some.

Shop around for the best price.

Highly recommended

http://www.mandp.co.uk/productinfo/554658/Tyres/Puncture-Repair-and-Prevention/Stop-and-Go
DAVE H
www.dhmoto.net

Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
R1200S
Moto Morini Corsaro

eyore

Postby eyore » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:47 am

I have had good success with that same kit, and as it uses mushroom shaped plugs the repair is as good as it can possibly be. The only thing is , you need to practice at home on an old tyre to get the technique, rather than reading instructions for the first time at the side of the road.
2009 Triumph Speed Triple
2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Motocod

Postby Motocod » Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:17 am

That's good enough for me, thanks guys - one kit ordered. Ironically, I've already dropped my wheel off at the local bike place to have it plugged. It's getting low on tread in the middle, so may swap it out to the Pirellis anyway...

Nik

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Mon Jun 17, 2013 5:23 pm

Thanks for the top tip - may order one of these myself. Mind you, intrigued to know the kit contains 'high velocity' CO2 - can you get 'slow' stuff as well then? :D

Mike.
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

Motocod

Postby Motocod » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:28 am

So what do we all think about the Pirellis then?

I have Michelins on at the moment, but the rear is nearly done, so I'll need to decide what to go with next.

Nik

Bikerhoss

Postby Bikerhoss » Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:56 am

Nik,
Angels (GT etc) get a decent review, but not tried myself.
Personally I'd go for Dunlop Qualifier or Roadsmart. I've had a Roadsmart front on since winter, still plenty life 4K miles later, and a Qualifier rear which has lasted surprisingly well given its a 'sportier' compound, 6K and only just about done now.

It does take a wee bit warming up in damp conditions though, Don't ask me why I know :oops:

Roadsmarts will be my preferred option when I get next :)
Blame the Deed, Not the Breed
Traitor Z1000SX Owner

Julian West

Postby Julian West » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:08 am

The Stop & Go mushroom system is very easy to use. I plugged a nail hole on the centre of a Pirelli Corsa on the rear of my R1200S last year and rode a further 1,000 miles before the tyre finally wore out. Never lost a single psi.

eyore

Postby eyore » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:37 am

Motocod wrote:So what do we all think about the Pirellis then?

Nik

Not sure about Pirellis except for Corsas which were fine,but didn't like Angels one bit.
My advice is to go for the brand new state of the art Bridgestone T30 , I fitted one recently to the front of the R12S and am well impressed, a new matching rear will follow shortly. But then again I always liked Bridgestone BT023s in the wet and went through several sets and these are the replacement /upgrade.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Boxermed69

Postby Boxermed69 » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:21 pm

I read it that Motocod is specifically asking about the pair of Pirelli Scorpions he has tucked away: any good for his Beemer?
Sorry, but I don't have a clue.

Mike.
Horizontally opposed, vertically challenged...

eyore

Postby eyore » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:57 pm

Boxermed69 wrote:I read it that Motocod is specifically asking about the pair of Pirelli Scorpions he has tucked away: any good for his Beemer?
Sorry, but I don't have a clue.

Mike.

Oops, missed that point. Personally I wouldent compromise a non adventure bike putting those tyres on unless you ride accordingly and accept their limitations ,they are simply not comparable with sports touring or sports tyres in terms of grip.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Motocod

Postby Motocod » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:14 am

You say that, but the 1200 Multistrada uses them, and that's pretty sporty...

Nik

Dai wiskers

Postby Dai wiskers » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:24 am

To be honest if i had a pair laying around and needed a pair of tyres they would go on if they don't suit you can always get them taken off again
My bike shines when it rains!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dyslexic Dai

Steptoe
http://www.gsshop.biz/

Dan Cata
http://boxer-upgrades.webs.com/

Lennie
http://www.boxer-performance.com/index.html

eyore

Postby eyore » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:52 am

Motocod wrote:You say that, but the 1200 Multistrada uses them, and that's pretty sporty...

Nik

True, but Panigales and sportsbikes don't use them. Now I do realise that with an 1100S its not quite the same thing, nonetheless, just my opinion.

I'd try and sell them and get the correct tyres.

2006 Aprilia Tuono RSVR

Return to “Boxertech”