snapped exhaust stud (R1200S)

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

exoticices

snapped exhaust stud (R1200S)

Postby exoticices » Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:37 pm

Well, after finally fitting new headers and end cans to my R1200S (fun and games in itself), I took the bike for a shakedown run today. It was blowing a bit from the o/s exhaust port so I had a go at tightening the bolts (you can guess what's coming...)

Knowing that the thread studs are made of cheese, I was very careful not to overtighten it and snap the stud. Image my surprise when the stud snapped. "Goodness gracious, who would expect that from a BMW?" I exclaimed, or words to that effect.

I've done a search on the forum but I can only find postings for the R1100S. Does anyone know the best option for removing a broken stud from the R1200S?

It's the threaded stud that secures the header pipes to the exhaust port.

Also, once removed, where do I get a new replacement stud? They don't appear to be listed in the parts pdf I have.

John

Ruffy

snapped stud

Postby Ruffy » Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:15 pm

Hi john,if you can wait until monday give darren a ring at Motorwoks on 0845 4580077,he can help you out,tim. :D
ruffy

slparry

Re: snapped exhaust stud (R1200S)

Postby slparry » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:19 pm

exoticices wrote:Well, after finally fitting new headers and end cans to my R1200S (fun and games in itself), I took the bike for a shakedown run today. It was blowing a bit from the o/s exhaust port so I had a go at tightening the bolts (you can guess what's coming...)

Knowing that the thread studs are made of cheese, I was very careful not to overtighten it and snap the stud. Image my surprise when the stud snapped. "Goodness gracious, who would expect that from a BMW?" I exclaimed, or words to that effect.

I've done a search on the forum but I can only find postings for the R1100S. Does anyone know the best option for removing a broken stud from the R1200S?

It's the threaded stud that secures the header pipes to the exhaust port.

Also, once removed, where do I get a new replacement stud? They don't appear to be listed in the parts pdf I have.

John

Doncha just hate it when that happens....

Part 7 in the parts list here

http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mod ... g=11&fg=12
--
Steve Parry

Current fleet: '14 F800GS, '87 R80RS, '03 R1100S BoxerCup, '15 R1200RT LE Dynamic, '90 K1

exoticices

!

Postby exoticices » Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:58 pm

Aha, it's #7, "Stud bolt M8X30-ZNS3" - that's the blighter.

My local dealer has shut now for Christmas holidays(!) so Motorworks sounds good.

At least I know what to buy - all I have to do now is get the sheared one out!!

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Re: !

Postby el-nicko » Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:09 pm

exoticices wrote:Aha, it's #7, "Stud bolt M8X30-ZNS3" - that's the blighter.

My local dealer has shut now for Christmas holidays(!) so Motorworks sounds good.

At least I know what to buy - all I have to do now is get the sheared one out!!

Where's it sheared mate? Is there any of it showing? Post a pic? Start squirting penetrating oil (WD40?) on it right-away 'cos at some point you will almost certainly have to drill a hole and use a stud extactor on it. WD40 will help unsieze it. As an aside, I wonder what that 'Covering' (12137680895) is in the diagram. :?

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

cornishflat

Postby cornishflat » Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:13 pm

The plastic cover goes over the lower spark plug.
kernow,the last bit

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:25 pm

cornishflat wrote:The plastic cover goes over the lower spark plug.

Oh, ok cornishflat. Thanks for that. Did'nt recognise it 'cos I have an '02 single spark bike. :roll:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

Droptarotter

Postby Droptarotter » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:04 am

Are you able to double nut the remainder of the stud and get it out that way??

If you are stuck until the dealer gets the proper part, just put a bolt in.

Cheers

exoticices

Postby exoticices » Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:50 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Phoned Motorworks this morning. They don't carry the stud bolts in stock but they can order it and get it despatched to me before the end of the week so I should receive it before Christmas. I ordered 2!

(El-Nicko) The header pipe is still on the bike but I had a good look this morning and am 99% sure that there's couple of mm of thread showing out of the head. When I first took the nut off it had a good dollop of copper grease on it, so (fingers crossed) I'm hoping I'll be able to get enough purchase on it to unscrew it out.

There's some school stuff on first part of this week so I'll wait until my friend comes round later this week with a selection of tools / moral support / witty humour, and tackle it then. Watch this space!

Merecat

Postby Merecat » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:40 pm

Try getting a good centre punch mark as near to the middle of the stud as possible then soak it in PlusGas or similar and give it a couple of days to work its self in to the threads before you attack it with grips.
If the grips fail then you'll still have the punch mark to drill for a stud extractor.

If you have to resort to extractors use the biggest possible cos you dont want to be shearing those in the hole.
Nice and easy is the key.
Although sheared studs do respond to a good twatting :shock:

Good luck

Mick
Last edited by Merecat on Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mick

2001 R1100s Frost Blue

Its not going the fastest,

Its stopping the quickest

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:42 pm

exoticices wrote:
(El-Nicko) The header pipe is still on the bike but I had a good look this morning and am 99% sure that there's couple of mm of thread showing out of the head. When I first took the nut off it had a good dollop of copper grease on it, so (fingers crossed) I'm hoping I'll be able to get enough purchase on it to unscrew it out.

If there is some thread showing you may get it out with 'Mole Grips'. Still say keep soaking with penetrating oil 'cos it needs time to do it's job. If you have to resort to a stud extractor start with a centre-punch then use a centre drill before drilling with a twist-drill proper. If you have one of those small propane blow torches, very carefuly applying a little heat to the area (from inside the zorst port?) will help too. If I were you I'd replace both of them 'cos you may snap the other bugger off when refitting the header. Smear silicone grease on them and use a torque wrench to tighten . Keep us posted. Good luck. :)

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:02 pm

Merecat wrote:Try getting a good centre punch mark as near to the middle of the stud as possible then soak it in PlusGas or similar and give it a couple of days to work its self in to the threads before you attack it with grips.
If the grips fail then you'll still have the punch mark to drill for a stud extractor.

If you have to resort to extractors use the biggest possible cos you dont want to be shearing those in the hole.
Nice and easy is the key.
Although sheared studs do respond to a good twatting :shock:

Good luck

Mick

All good advice from Mick :wink: BTW, Where are you in the West Midlands?

exoticices

Postby exoticices » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:29 pm

Had a spare ten minutes so popped into the garage and took a quick photo:

I'd say there's about 2-3mm showing.

I'd sprayed on some WD40. I'll put some decent penetrating oil on later.

I'm in darkest Black Country, about 1/2 way between Walsall and Wolverhampton. They all talk funny here!

el-nicko

Postby el-nicko » Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:01 pm

exoticices wrote:
I'm in darkest Black Country, about 1/2 way between Walsall and Wolverhampton. They all talk funny here!

Ah a genuine Black Country Man. 8) I'm an ex Wolves man meself. :lol: Born Phoenix St, Blakenhall. Just missed being able to make that claim by a 1/4 mile. :cry: Still got a nephew (another mad biker :twisted:) lives just off Deans road. Be up there for crizee. Good luck with the stud. Looks bad. :(

exoticices

Postby exoticices » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:18 pm

el-nicko wrote:Ah a genuine Black Country Man. 8) I'm an ex Wolves man meself. :lol: Born Phoenix St, Blakenhall. Just missed being able to make that claim by a 1/4 mile. :cry: Still got a nephew (another mad biker :twisted:) lives just off Deans road. Be up there for crizee.

A Yam Yam! Well done. Do you know Steve Bull?

I'm originally a Blackheath boy, then we moved to Rowley Regis (it's royal you know). We only recently moved over this way. We don't go on the moors at night.

el-nicko wrote:Good luck with the stud. Looks bad. :(

I was hoping you would say something like "piece of cake"!! To be fair it's not as grisly as it looks now it's had a bit of WD on it. But I'm still not optimistic. I'll keep squirting for a few days!

Return to “Boxertech”