No speedo after absectomy

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

markwin

No speedo after absectomy

Postby markwin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:45 am

Have just done the absectomy as ABS failure(residual braking on rear brake circuit) followed the instructions regarding the electrics from ukgser as below
1) Remove the blue ABS relay from the fusebox. This will extinguish the 'Brake Failure' warning light on the dash and as a bonus can be used to operate the brake light !! (no need for new switches as in other methods )
2) Strip back the sheathing from the ABS multi pin connector - identify wires and connect as follows
a) Grey/White wire (tail light feed) Grey/Black wire (12v feed) cut both and join together - thats your tail light sorted.
b) White/Yellow wire (front brake switch) and Yellow/Green wire (rear brake switch). Cut these two wires and join them to link brake switches
Now the wiring to the redundant 4 pin ABS relay
c) Pin 1 - Connect white/blue wire
d) Pin 2 - connect the THIN solid brown wire in the loom to provide a ground ( careful here - there are several brown wires c/w coloured traces and a Thick brown wire)
e) Pin 3 - Find the Yellow/Black wire and the solid green wire. Cut and connect these together and then to pin 3 of the relay
f) Pin 4 - Connect grey/yellow (tail light feed) to this pin

That all there is to it - you now have working brakes and lights.
All appears to be ok and have brake lights front/rear and rear lights with headlight on but speedo is not registering.Speedo was ok prior to absectomy -perhaps there is an electrical connection that is required on r1100s ? seems a bit of a coincidence that the speedo/sensor has packed up , any thoughts/advise welcome.

markwin

Postby markwin » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:21 pm

Seems to be that the speedo picks up its signal from the IABS unit but as I have by-passed this and made the electrical connections according to the UKGSER method I can either remake the connections to the iABS unit (just the electrical side of the unit as it comes away from the main servo unit) and seal it with a self made cover , BUT is there any way that I can just reconnect ONLY the wires that are needed for the speedo to work and keep the other wire connections that I have already made? reason is I want as much as possible NOT working thru/via the IABS e/l unit-I have everything working apart from the speedo and if I can just make a connection thru the IABS e/l unit relevant to the speedo/ signal it would also save me reconnecting everything back thru the IABS connector again.Didnt initially realise that the instructions were specific to GS range and they have a different speedo arrangement so that's why I cut the wiring to the 42 pin plug that connects to the IABS and made connections direct to the wires.Any advise most welcome -got 10 months to MOT time!!!!!.....

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:18 pm

I've got some "make your own plugs" givus a shout if you need one - up to six connectors I think
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

markwin

Postby markwin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:09 pm

Thanks for the offer Dave but if I have to I,ll temp join the wires to the ABS plug and solder properly and shrink tube when I am sure of the solution.What I really need to do is to learn how to read the wiring diagram as I,m sure all the info is there , mind you I cannot really see what colour is represented in the diagrams or what the numbers definitely relate to.May well be someone out there figuring this all out.....

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Mon Jun 03, 2013 8:48 pm

There are a few on here who have removed I abs maybe something here?
http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtop ... ght=#70137

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

markwin

Postby markwin » Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:38 pm

Yep , thanks , have seen this one ,probably will just try to reconnect wires to IABS unit as per that link ,but was just hoping that I would be able to only have to reconnect to this unit the wiring needed only for the speedo function.If I don't get any info regarding just this then I will reconnect and if all well will leave it all alone .Regards..

Steptoe

Postby Steptoe » Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:07 pm

You shouldn't have followed that advise on ukgser :D

What you should have done..... After you've removed the servo/abs unit just unscrew the electrical brain from the end of servo unit (4 screws) and plug it back into the loom :wink: .

No cutting of any wires needed. And a simple reversal back to servo/abs if need be in the future.

el-nicko
Location: Nick from HEREFORDSHIRE, The Oceanian province of Airstrip One.

Postby el-nicko » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:41 am

Steptoe wrote:You shouldn't have followed that advise on ukgser :D

What you should have done..... After you've removed the servo/abs unit just unscrew the electrical brain from the end of servo unit (4 screws) and plug it back into the loom :wink: .

No cutting of any wires needed. And a simple reversal back to servo/abs if need be in the future.

That's the way to do it. :wink:

Mr. Spock is my role model so be advised; I possess no (discernible) sense of humour.

It's all VFR (DCT) round here now. STILL missing my 1100s tho.

Return to “Boxertech”