R1200S throttle pulley modification

Got a technical query? Found another 0.02bhp? Ask/tell the world.

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

gus

Postby gus » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:54 pm

dave the german wrote:Concise as ever Gus. What's you opinion of the mod?

I,ll tell ya when I get the engine in the bike. :D
I run a QA throttle and the non linear action peed me off.
It's not a ideal mod, but it works.
I have a spare set of throttle bodies I will mess about with to try and get some improvement.
Gus

dave the german

Postby dave the german » Wed Oct 21, 2015 7:39 am

More important for you on a race bike. When I first bought my 12s I didn't notice it too much but as Boxered mentioned, having now more than 1 bike, Has made me notice it more
'15 R1200GS TE
'06 R1200S
'04 BCR
Yam SR 500 long term restoration
wanna win the lottery and ride my bike

The Teutonic Tangerine

Postby The Teutonic Tangerine » Wed Oct 21, 2015 11:01 am

Corvus wrote:
f90x wrote:
Corvus wrote:Wouldn't a twist grip with a larger actuating radius be an answer? It wouldn't solve the problem of the non constant radius action at the TB, but it would result in less angular movement at the twist grip translating to more movement at the TB. So for every degree you move the twist grip, you'd get more degrees movement at the pulley. A heavier feeling throttle would result. There's no way out of that bit. A change in mechanical advantage is what's needed to get to where you want to be.

An intermediate compensating lever would also work. As would making a new pulley!

Cheers.

I've actually come to this answer as a side effect of using the rather naff 'grip puppies'. They actually make the (too skinny in my opinion) grips about the same girth as the 1100S grips. This gives more throttle opening for the same amount of twist in the grip. This in conjunction with the plastic insert at the twist grip has actually made a noticeable difference and has helped my dodgy wrist as I am accessing more power earlier than before.

Ay up.

I meant a larger radius from theoretical centre of rotation (that's a brilliant topic in it's own right!) to the centre (theoretical, of course) of the cable nipple.

Increasing the diameter of the grip itself is an interesting one as the angular movement doesn't change. But it does make one wonder how much hand/finger input is truly angular and how much is tangential.

Cheers.

A pal of mine had such a device on a Ducati 900SD way back in the early 80's. The throttle was fully closed to fully open in about 2/3rds of a full turn. It was great for blatting around the lanes but on the open road just holding the thing open was hard work. The return springs in the air slide carbs were quite strong and effectiveley you had raised the gearing making it harder to open them.
There would appear to be a surfeit of prolixity and sesquipedalian content today please do not use a big word when a singularly un-loquacious and diminutive linguistic expression will satisfactorily accomplish the contemporary necessity

Return to “Boxertech”