anyone ridden the alps /grimmsel/davos/stelvio in june?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

f90x

anyone ridden the alps /grimmsel/davos/stelvio in june?

Postby f90x » Thu May 29, 2008 1:39 pm

i'm off on monday and shall take most if not all of these in and i was wondering if it would be wise to take just my leathers with an all in one waterproof suit (for the wet days) or if a fabric adventure style jacket with detatchable innards would be the better bet. i have fabric trousers with detatchable thermal layer but fixed waterproof element but just an old waterproof fabric jacket that would need a windproof fleece underneath. i had that set up for a long weekend in wales in october last year but don't want to do that on a 3 week trip to europe and the fleece will take up too much room when not being used.

shall i risk it. i did the leathers/oversuit thing for the pyrenees/spain last year at exactly the same time of year and got away with it. in fact i was too warm a few times when it rained while wearing the oversuit.

also the jackets to fit my fabric strides are between £2-300 to get the spec i want. is it worth it for a couple of weeks a year. 'rev-it' is the brand if it makes a difference.

what do you think?

steve

winger

Postby winger » Thu May 29, 2008 3:00 pm

Well i'm a 3/4 jacket and leather trousers anyway,were the hell do you put all the bits and bobs when going abroad in leathers??

But the absolute no no are one piece rain suits,god knows how many we had before we worked out two piece unlined,the water lies in the rolled up part of the jacket and not the trousers,the jacket also doubles up as an extra piece of clothing.

At this time of year,still are very good chance of a kicking weather wise,that high up.

scotty

Postby scotty » Thu May 29, 2008 3:12 pm

Steve - Would really like to see you're pics when you get back. I'm off to Grindlewald / Lugano in 3 weeks time with time off to see the Guzzi factory. The Stelvio pass is meant to be superb. Good luck whatever gear you choose to use.

Cheers
BMW R1100S
Triumph Sprint ST 955

AJB

Postby AJB » Thu May 29, 2008 3:29 pm

Yes, I have when I lived in Switzerland (hence it was dat trip territory for me so gear was not an issue). It can get surprisingly chilly at altitude but if the medium range forecast is for decent temperatures then I would risk it and not take the extra gear. Have a great trip.

Tim H

Postby Tim H » Thu May 29, 2008 4:41 pm

Went through France/Switz/Austria to Italy last August.

Rolled off the ferry, the ride was wet then wet & cold then really wet and cold then 'this really isn't funny anymore type wet then we got to Italy and it was HOT.

I had one of those jackets with various layers you can remove so wasn't too bad really. Textile beats leather for touring imho.

Have a god trip.

Cheers
Tim

JoeC

Postby JoeC » Thu May 29, 2008 4:54 pm

Textiles.
No longer a motorcycle owner.

Return to “Boxerbanter”