It had to happen at some point

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Ruffy

some time

Postby Ruffy » Tue May 20, 2008 2:32 pm

I,m glad youre ok ade,even though we all love our bikes your the most important thing out there, bikes can be fixed but some times we can't,at least it was a minor with a blind numpty behind the wheel and the bike doesn't look too bad and apart from the lack of oil maybe some engine protectors might come in handy after the insurance quote eh!:(
ruffy

Grant

Postby Grant » Tue May 20, 2008 8:41 pm

Ade,
As everyone says the most important thing is that you're ok, although having been that man on a couple of occasions I know that's not what you think at the time.

I must say that I was really impressed with BMW insurance when I came off my 1200s (on the way home after buying it!!). They just told me to get it to the main dealer and it would be fixed and they were true to their word. I had the bike back in about 3 weeks.....and that was about 5 weeks before I was fit to ride it!! I felt a bit guilty actually because I'd only taken out the insurance 2 days before. And it was my first accident that was actually my fault entirely...............
I never want to fall off again!!

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Tue May 20, 2008 9:00 pm

Thanks for the responses, I'm feeling pretty chipper today all things considered.

Few queries though as I've not been through this before.

Have been contacted by a Bennetts solicitor this morning first thing - I asked to call back as I had just got out of bed - still waiting for the return call. What would that be about?

Was also contacted by an insurance covered rental bike company for a replacement bike (with a £100 damage excess). Was repeatedly assured that I would not pay a penny even if the fiesta driver turns out to be uninsured and untraceable - didn't want to give them my card details whilst walking down the road so they are supposed to be calling me back... any thoughts?

Have yet to be contacted by the bike recovery company - the S is sat in my driveway, I rode it back from the accident to my office and then back to my flat. It felt ok to ride although 30mph and not much lean on corners made it hard to tell.

Nearest BMW dealer is I think South London Motorcycles which is in Caterham (a bit of a schlep) alternative would be Park Lane (who have been dreadful in previous dealings) and I fell out with Prestige in Bexley Heath (long story) who I believe have shut anyway - do Jap and German do assessment and repair? I reckon I could get it sorted relatively cheaply if there is no frame damage and more likely a lot faster than the insurance company.

I don't like the idea of parking a hire bike in London as with the scuffs and dings from the bike bays I can see my £100 lasting 5 minutes.

Input much appreciated.

Ade

PS lack of oil was due to my attempted starts pumping it round the bike immediately before I took the photos. Head protectors cost more than new magnesium heads, think I'll keep it simple :wink:
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Tue May 20, 2008 9:05 pm

Are you fully comp?
Most of these firms record calls now also dont they, so contact insurance and check you wont have to pay, job done.
Not sure why solicitor may have called, but some insurance firms also help you get damages back etc for injury or kit damage. If its the other persons fault you should claim for helmet and gear etc, every time
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Tue May 20, 2008 9:13 pm

PBBoxer wrote:Are you fully comp?
Most of these firms record calls now also dont they, so contact insurance and check you wont have to pay, job done.
Not sure why solicitor may have called, but some insurance firms also help you get damages back etc for injury or kit damage. If its the other persons fault you should claim for helmet and gear etc, every time

Nope TPFT. The insurance peeps keep on saying I'll be fine as its a clear cut no fault claim - I'm a little less certain as my brother got knocked off his scooter by a very apologetic young girl in Bethnal Green a few years back who gave him a false name and details in an uninsured car... as he only had TPFT insurance, he got nothing.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Tue May 20, 2008 9:15 pm

If your insurance have stated over teh phone that its not your fault, then thats a recorded conversation. Make note of the date and approx time of teh casll and ideally teh person you spoke with and you're sorted.
Ive resolved a couple of major issues that way, including geting an extra grand for bits from teh buggers after they tried to deny agreeing to it.
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Tue May 20, 2008 9:18 pm

Cheers PB, will give them a call tomorrow to see what's what. The thought of a hire bike for 2 months on a shaky basis is not appealing.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Tue May 20, 2008 9:22 pm

good luck.
Also worth asking them if the other insurance firm have accepted responsibilty. Quite often teh toher driver will accept fault then their insurance will still ask questions. Bottom line is getting your insurance to tell you the score then you're doing it all in good faith

Cheers
PB
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Wed May 21, 2008 10:01 pm

Had a further long discussion with Bennetts lady again today and they are being remarkably good so far.

Am waiting a call back from the solicitor, hire company and recovery company, as they keep ringing my home rather than my office..

Apparently I shouldn't feel bad claiming for my 'slightly swollen' knee and kit and the hire company are looking into the status of the other parties insurance. I've been told that the recovery mob will sort my bike for me, if I want to sort it myself, I may have to pay up front and recover the costs - apparently I will be informed of the protocol by the solicitor..

I'm suspicious somehow, if its too good to be true etc.. but it would appear that the insurance is so far doing its job..

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:04 pm

Ade B wrote:

I'm a little less certain as my brother got knocked off his scooter by a very apologetic young girl in Bethnal Green a few years back who gave him a false name and details in an uninsured car... as he only had TPFT insurance, he got nothing.

Ade

Really ? Do you not have a similar scheme to this one? (although having read further maybe i'll upgrade to fully comp....)
http://www.mibi.ie/uninsured-unidentifi.html
Last edited by nab 301 on Wed May 21, 2008 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Wed May 21, 2008 10:06 pm

nab 301 wrote:
Ade B wrote:

I'm a little less certain as my brother got knocked off his scooter by a very apologetic young girl in Bethnal Green a few years back who gave him a false name and details in an uninsured car... as he only had TPFT insurance, he got nothing.

Ade

Really ? Do you not have a similar scheme to this one?
http://www.mibi.ie/uninsured-unidentifi.html

I can't recall the details, but it was too complex for him to bother getting the scooter fixed at the time.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Wed May 28, 2008 5:17 pm

Got a phone call this morning from hire company - "we're really sorry sir but the only bike we have available in a similar range to yours is a VFR.."

Pause..

I ask is it the VTEC.

"I'm afraid it is..."

Are they that bad? Its apparently sat in the drive as I type..

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

AJB

Postby AJB » Wed May 28, 2008 8:40 pm

Very sorry to hear of your plight.

I am puzzled as to why you are so suspicious though.

How much difference in cost is there between TPFT and fully comp? I am a fist time bike owner (though not totally new to riding), therefore have zero no claims bonus, and insured my 1100SS last week - with the same insurer as you. It was around £200 fully comp for a year. TPFT was not offered to me and I did not even think about it - but I suspect the saving would be minimal. Probably better protection than the engine bars.

I have a fair bit of experience of commercial insurance claims handling and I would NOT deal with the repair myself. Certainly take care with who the bike is sent to, but the last thing you need is hassle with the insurance company over a repair - which may or may not go according to plan - that you have managed.

Good luck and I hope you recover fully soon.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Wed May 28, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks for the reply. With a London post code and no garage, TPFT and Fully Comp is quite different - given my S is not worth a lot, I've had TPFT for a couple of years now.

I'm a little jaded with dealing with any UK company as I am unfortunately very used to people promising plenty and failing to deliver the full package almost without fail.

For example, the VFR has been delivered as promised and when promised (I was at work) however, the chain is rusty (ticked ok on the sheet) there's no lock or alarm and the ABS light is on... Its an 07 bike with 5k miles on it... Hope its still on the drive tomorrow...

My last dealings with an insurance company were a third party's insurance company turning up at my flat one day and pretty much accusing me of fraud as they had received a claim for theft of a scooter which had the same number plate as mine.... I had to get my bike inspected by the dvla to get it confirmed that it was my bike and I was not a criminal :roll:

I could go on...

But anyway, the VFR is quite a nice shade of red and they marked the tank as empty when in fact its 1/4 full when you take it off the side stand.

Ade :wink:
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

AJB

Postby AJB » Thu May 29, 2008 7:19 am

Fair enough. I am rural with a garage so I expect that makes a difference. Good luck with getting the bike fixed.

Is it worth seeking out a lawyer on a no win no fee basis for your personal injury claim?

Return to “Boxerbanter”