It had to happen at some point

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Ade B

It had to happen at some point

Postby Ade B » Mon May 19, 2008 4:46 pm

Had a brush with the tarmac today on the Brixton road... my bike came together with a ford fiesta van and I feel quite lucky to be back in the office typing this...

Classic 'didn't see you' t-bone - fiesta pulled out of a side road, stopped and then started again just as I was passing, luckily I swerved, my front wheel and LH cylinder head took the crunch and apparently (I can't really remember what happened) I did a 360 horizontal spin on the bike before coming to ground in the middle of the opposite side of the road - fortunately nothing was coming the other way..

Small bump on my left knee and both cylinder heads are mullered and the front end looks a bit wonky. Insurance is on the case (I wait with interest ) Managed to get the bike started and rode it back to the office - BMW make a sturdy bike for sure.

The lady driving the van seemed rather relieved to see me get up and took it quite well (without actually admitting liability).

Bike gear did its job - If I was wearing my bike trousers, I wouldn't even have a scuffed knee - there's a lesson in there somewhere.

The most bizarre thing (which has happened to me before in extreme situations) is that whilst people were asking if I was OK, I was more concerned about checking my bike and laptop for damage. The human brain is a wonderful instrument..

I got 3 witnesses who took the details of the incident and volunteered their details immediately which kind of restores your faith in humanity.

Will see how the claim progresses..

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Mon May 19, 2008 5:03 pm

Sorry to hear about your 'incident'.

Pleased to hear that you're ok. The bike and kit can renewed or mended, flesh and bone ain't quite so easy.
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Mon May 19, 2008 5:04 pm

Hi Ade,

Sorry to hear about that. i had a close one this weekend too, but just managed to swerve round the car pulling out without looking!!!

Glad you are OK and i am sure they bike will get fixed. lets hope her insurance pays out ok.

thx Lars
The Power of Dreams comes true for me...
-----------------------------------------------
No more BMW just XR400R and CBR1000RR & Dark side - Buell Uly XB12X (and black is the fastest one!)

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon May 19, 2008 5:09 pm

that's a bummer, but i'm glad you're ok. still, three independent witnesses should see you right. so... what are you going to buy next?

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Mon May 19, 2008 5:21 pm

Fingers crossed two new head covers and a 'sharp twist of the bars' should sort the bike out although I it rode back to the office ok, not sure if its still straight. Even the flimsy shite rear indicators stayed intact :D

Whats the crack with getting the bike assessed, its currently filthy and I'm waiting for a call from Bennetts assessors who will apparently take the bike away and then give me the lowdown - is this a good idea?

I image its not worth much (cosmetically well past its prime) but I could probably fix it up for about £200 if the front end is ok.

Could do without getting it written off - I just want it back on the road ferrying me around London.

Will post pics later.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

f90x

Postby f90x » Mon May 19, 2008 5:32 pm

Ade B wrote: Even the flimsy shite rear indicators stayed intact :D
Ade

oh yes, the rear indicators. i was lucky that's all i broke when i decided to use my r/h cylinder to furrow that bit of scrub at the side of the road.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon May 19, 2008 5:41 pm

Glad to hear you're ok Ade, although something like this does always tend to give one a bit of a shake.

Let's hope getting the bike sorted etc goes smoothly. :)

sussexgirl

Postby sussexgirl » Mon May 19, 2008 7:12 pm

Glad you're okay.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Mon May 19, 2008 7:58 pm

Thanks for replies.

Pics:

Front, mudguard is a bit squiffy but hopefully forks are ok.

Side which hit car, bottom head bolt washer is fubar but bolt looks like it might be ok. Note to self (top up oil)

Side which hit road, not much damage - those little fins are there for a reason..

2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Mon May 19, 2008 8:06 pm

Glad to hear you're OK Ade. The insurance will hopefully make good the damage done. Don't forget to check the rear subframe lugs since they do tend to crack in heavy falls. Protective clothing is a wonderful thing when it does it's job. Make sure you add a new set to the bill for myopic van lady.

All the best,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Steve W

Postby Steve W » Mon May 19, 2008 8:40 pm

Ade
I would try and take it to your local BMW dealer (especially as it is ridable) and get them to assess the damage rather than let the insurance company get there hands on it and give it to 'Their' repair company.

Rgds - Steve

jltownshend

Postby jltownshend » Tue May 20, 2008 3:54 am

My personal South London dread...

I had a bike taken to BMW Battersea after slightly more damage (ahem) and it took ages for the assessor to come look at it...BMW wanted to start charging for storage. The BMW quote wasn't good enough. You might need to harrangue them a bit...(the assessor/Insurance company).

What he said re: rear frame lugs...

You'll get an oil top up with the new heads ;-)

J
When the going gets weird...

Red Fokker

Postby Red Fokker » Tue May 20, 2008 6:53 am

I'm with Steve, get it to a bmw dealer - it's your right, the insurance company can't object. I had an off on a GS about 4 years ago - it was unrideable but recovered under the bmw breakdown assistance. Got taken to Allan Jeffries in Shipley, was there quite a few weeks (months if I remember correctly) which was down to the fact that it was physically impossible for me to ride due to my injuries. Didn't get charged any extra as far as I'm aware and everything and I mean everything no matter how minor was replaced/repaired. Top job. Even if they are going to charge for storage (which shouldn't be the case really) so what, you've paid your insurance it should be covered and in any case it should ultimately be the other parties liability anyway.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Tue May 20, 2008 10:57 am

Ade
Glad you're OK.
I wouldnt let them take the bike either. Dealer of your choice ideally and make it clear you dont want the bike removed without your express permission. If they make an offer and you turn it down, thereafter teh storage costs could be down to you so then I'd fetch it home and barter without teh building costs. You are also within your rights to get teh bike rideable in the meantime.

Regards PB
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

maineroads

Postby maineroads » Tue May 20, 2008 12:40 pm

Could just be the photo, but the left fork and left side of triple clamp looks lower. That would explain your fender being off.
Steve
04 BCR

Return to “Boxerbanter”