K1200R Sport

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Stevie

K1200R Sport

Postby Stevie » Fri Apr 11, 2008 2:52 pm

Anyone tried one of these? I popped into MotorradCentral in Dalkeith the other day and they have a nice looking one with about 2.5K on the clock.....got me thinking. :shock:
In hiatus from motorcycles.

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Fri Apr 11, 2008 4:59 pm

Stevie go and try it out, you might like it, you might not. Give us a shout if you want company.

Andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

winger

Postby winger » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:23 pm

Have a look at how many appear on E-Bay!!! and draw your own conclusions.

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:46 pm

winger wrote:Have a look at how many appear on E-Bay!!! and draw your own conclusions.

Hmmm. I've just this minute looked on eBay and couldn't find a single one. My conclusion is that there aren't that many around yet as it only got launched last year. Doesn't really help.

winger

Postby winger » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:56 pm

I've just looked and there's two,go into the history there have been loads,i check every day look for my K1200s :cry:

julian

Postby julian » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:12 pm

Hello Stevie

I tried a K12RS just before Christmas when I tested the R1200S. Looks wise, I like the regular R but the Sport version leaves a bit to be desired.

I found it really easy to ride around London town, although frustrating because the engine is so smooth and powerful it does everything effortlessly in a fraction of its rev range. Afterwards, the R11S was like riding a jackhammer - and I think I'd miss that.

There are three K12R parked where I work (almost equal the number of R12GS) so they seem quite popular. I'm still tempted.
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

winger

Postby winger » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:45 pm

I think the problem is loads of HP and no were to hide,but do your home work,have a look on the different websites,they've have shot loads of trouble with the engines and fuelling,to my amazement,i had a BM employee say to me the other day for F,sake don't buy anything pre 07,my chinn was on the floor,the problem being if the motors lunch e'm selves and the bikes out of warranty,then you going to take a mighty financial kicking,still hasn't put me off,just have to buy a post 07 ,unless summat else comes along :wink:

big rob

Postby big rob » Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:54 pm

Hmmmm, interesting.....

I took out a K1200R demonstrator from JC's in Tayside, the things a fookin
missile :evil: my neck in now 3" longer than it was pre-test ride!!

I returned it to the shop after 5-hours of 'hooligan' behaviour (oh aye, took some piccies of the bike for the alblum too). Upon my return the salesman asked what i thought bout the bike: I told him I didn't see the point of such a machine, I'd be disqualified in no time and the bike would need a new rear tyre every 1500 miles :cry:

Horses for courses though, if we all liked the same things life would be a tad bland.
Keep us posted Stevie.

Rob :)

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:22 pm

Winger, my eyes must be going then, 'cos I still can't see any K1200R Sport on Ebay, only regular K1200R. As far as I know all the Sport models are 2007 or later.

Big Rob, I know what you mean. I had a K1200S for a day from JC Tayside and your're right, it is a bit much. Still......

big rob

Postby big rob » Sun Apr 13, 2008 9:35 pm

:twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

julian

Postby julian » Sun Apr 13, 2008 10:25 pm

Now that is a thing of beauty. Actually the silver K12RS on the BMW home page looks OK too.

My local dealer has a loaded '06 model which I reckon will go for sub £7k with only 1200 miles showing. There was also a fully loaded one on eBay over the weekend that failed to reach it's £6.5k reserve.

I guess with a year's waranty one could take a chance on the gearbox/engine holding out or being replaced.
BMW R1100S (Black)

Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

winger

Postby winger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 7:23 am

Hi Stevie

My mistake,i'll have to learn to read,missed the sport,go into Bike Trader there are loads,for what ever reason they were just bad sellers,hence why BM stopped makeing them after 12 months.

Or use this http://www.bmw-dealernet.co.uk/

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:39 am

Winger, that's bull. They are still being made and you can still order them. If for whatever reason a dealer does not have one on the floor does not mean they are not being made anymore. Just have a look at www.bmw-motorrad.co.uk.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

winger

Postby winger » Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:09 pm

subby

K1200R

Postby subby » Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Just my opinion, I had a K1200R before I traded it in for my R1200S and I loved it.
Its got amazing power and the ESA electronic suspension adjustment is fantastic, not just a pointless gimic.
I only got rid of mine cause i fancied a change with the sport.
I would have one again in an instance, and the sport although it doesn't have the R's rugged looks would make a better distance machine.
If you have a look there are some great forums out there for the K1200 e.g. http://www.i-bmw.com/cmps_index.php
It was like that when i got here

Return to “Boxerbanter”