BMW 535i (has four wheels)

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:49 am

Me-109 wrote:Told you at the time you should have bought an Octavia. :P

Don't you believe it - I found us a gorgeous 3 month old Octavia vRS TDI estate which would have been perfect. Missus Gromit wouldn't go near it. :roll:

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:16 am

bigblackfalco wrote: Yeah.....they used to build decent quality bikes too.....till the japs kicked their arses!

Very true - our Baby Beemer, like the bikes are to ride, is very nice to drive, handles great, goes well (although it's no quicker than a Gold 140TDI) and is extremely quiet at speed. However, the door shut lines are all over the place, the dash (still) creaks, the carpet's sodden in the passenger footwell because the car leaks in the rain, the paintwork is too soft and marks very easily, the seat fabric stains when it gets wet, the gearbox is baulky (shocking when cold), there's a smell of diesel fumes when the engine's cold, the rear wiper doesn't wipe more than 30% of the rear screen and therefore next to useless.

We've had more trouble with this car in one year than we had with 3 brand new Citroens (2 of which we did over 80k in) put together. Problem is, we're not alone in our experiences - we've paid club class money for an economy class car.

Saying that I had a test drive in a Civic CTDi Sport and that was just horrible. Nicely screwed together though. The car that impressed me more than anything though was the little Seat Leon FR TDI. Went like stink aswell and felt very solid.

Saying all that, if money was no object my car of lust is still an M5 Touring. My cousin's got the new M5 saloon and it's a total beast (although he too has had loads of quality issues with it - reckons the car's a bit fragile).

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:15 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:
boxerpan wrote:
bigblackfalco wrote:Cheers for that Andy.
................... but what mpg do you get roughly?

If you have to ask you can't afford it :lol:
I am thinking of the rich times ahead when I start my own courier business in the midlands.......

You would be welcome in this part of the Midlands - not sure us paupers would pay London prices tho' :D
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:18 pm

Gromit wrote:We've a one yr old 120d Sport - wouldn't buy another one if you gave it to me. The build quality is atrocious; it's due to go back to the dealer for the 4th time in 12 months very soon.

Our Touran 140 is proving to be very solid after 25k in 14 months, one longlife service at 17 thousand and that's it. Boring to look at but recommended none the less.
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.

Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear

bright until you hear them speak.

winger

Postby winger » Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:59 pm

I just can't see Bailey driveing around in a Beemer,your just not that kind of guy 8)

POB

Postby POB » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:05 pm

Gromit wrote:We've a one yr old 120d Sport - wouldn't buy another one if you gave it to me. The build quality is atrocious; it's due to go back to the dealer for the 4th time in 12 months very soon.

We've clocked up 21k miles in a 116i SE (5 dr) in about 18 months and it's been perfect, except when the oil filler cap came undone and coated the engine in hot oil! Has been to the dealer once, for an inspection when the light came on. Maybe you got a lemon?

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:45 pm

winger wrote:I just can't see Bailey driveing around in a Beemer,your just not that kind of guy 8)
You might be right there......got a quote on the insurance today :shock: :shock: :shock: £1200.00 :shock: :shock: :shock:
I think that's a no go!
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:47 pm

Paul wrote:

You really need to buy my RX-8 mate.

Please....

Pretty please...

Paul :wink:
You still got it.....I thought you would've shifted it by now??
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:22 pm

Nope. Still hanging on to it, like a millstone around my neck. Tried Autotrader, Auto Car, a couple of brokers and its up as a classified ad on e-bay at the moment. Rather wishing I'd accepted the derisory trade in value when I had the chance... Make me a ridiculous offer.

Paul :(
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

leasky

Postby leasky » Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:53 pm

Falco, for what its worth, I have driven BMW cars for the past 21 years with the exception of my current vehicle (an Audi).

I have got to say that they are (in my humble opinion) the best engineered cars (for the money) on the road. However the build quality has dipped some-what in the past few years. That will not effect the model which you are currently looking at.

I was lucky enough to aquire a 535i M Tech on an "H" plate in 1993 and it was an outstanding car. I kept it for 4 years and enjoyed every day of it.

They are heavy to run but my main concern was safety and the ability to make swift progress if required.

Just ensure that the service history is bang up to date and all belts have been replaced.

Other issues are the interior; the cloth wears very quickly but the leather, if treated correctly, will look good for years.

Like all BM's the factory options are expensive, so items like On-Board Computer, Sunroof, Air-Con and Slip Diff all help.

The cars are heavy, so dont expect too much from tyres and be sure to check the shocks.

It is potentially an expensive car to repair but if you can get a good example for reasonable money; it should do you for a couple of years.

Good luck!
Leasky

Return to “Boxerbanter”