Who's any good at wheelies?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

paulR

Who's any good at wheelies?

Postby paulR » Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:38 am

I was watching Ghost Rider (starring Nicholas Cage) last night and I've decided I want to learn how to wheely :D . Ive got a KTM 950SM so if I can't wheely that there's no hope for me.

I know it's a bit juvenile for someone my age but what's the technique? I remember reading in one of the bike comics that you have to shut the throttle to dip the front forks, then when they are rebounding dip the clutch, whack open the throttle, shift your weight back and let out the clutch at the same time. That seems a lot to remember, is there an easier way? I nipped past a van this morning and as I accelerated past the front wheel lifted slightly which gave me hope :D

jivebiker

Postby jivebiker » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:06 pm

Buy a mountain bike and put cowhorn handlebars on it. Select a low gear, pedal and pull.

Then when you've fallen off the back its only your pride thats damaged!
JiVeBiKeR

Whatever happened to Cherry Jubblies?

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:28 pm

put cowhorn handlebars on it. Select a low gear, pedal and pull.

Cowhorn handlebars, christ!! That takes me back :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

paulR

Postby paulR » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:28 pm

As well as fitting cowhorns, we used to turn the racing handlebars round on our bikes when I were a lad. We thought it looked cool :roll:

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:33 pm

Yeah !!! Done that too, and wrapped them completely in bright coloured tape :wink:
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

rc

ohhh

Postby rc » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:06 pm

hi paulr
i have a 950 sm , perfect bike to wheelie, if you got the mods done air box akros,your bike will do them off the throttle 1 2 third gear. second gear go along half throttle shut off a little open right up and pull back ,ye ha . two types of wheelie ,power type ,giving it some off the throttle ,will come back down as revs go up. point of balance wheelie get it up high and just feather off the throttle to keep it up ,as it starts to come down a lttle ,bit more throttle to keep it up again ..trial riders good at this ,some stunt riders ac farious,perfect example . trouble is when it goes pear shape it does big style ,over the back ..... just start getting used to the wheel coming off the deck ..to be on the safe side keep your foot over the back brake and dab if you feel a little high .it will seem higher than it is . when it is high you will be looking to the side of your bike because you will not see over the bars . the faster you go the easier to control and smoother it is 3 gear +. a enduro bike is a good one to start off on or trials bike .once you are in the air 1ft to 2 ft it will feel great try not to snap the throttle shut because if comes back to earth real fast . can practice getting if off and pattering on the floor all light when it comes back down . to the ones that can wheelie its a big subject ,you can steer your bike by pressing down on the peg ,take one hand off and wave to the crowd .. all in a safe place of course ...... heh take it easy . :wink: next on the list stoppies , ...rc
JUST BECAUSE YOUR BREATHING DOESN'T MEAN YOUR NOT DEAD

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Thu Nov 01, 2007 6:52 pm

Paul,.. you dab the 'Rear Brake',.. not the front. I wouldn't imagine a 950 Duke would need help from the brake though. But don't forget, .. you'll have perhaps have a hundred practices at lifting the front wheel, .. but once it's 'Up', ... you'll then remember that you've never actually practiced a landing. Personally, I'd feel safer leaving it to the 'Pro's. This year, crashing is so not cool.
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

boxerscott

Wheelie

Postby boxerscott » Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:35 pm

For a four, dial in 2k rpm in first, apply rear brake (compresses the forks)and pull clutch in at the same time simultaneously let off rear brake increase revs to 5krpm and flick clutch out, rebound and extra torque guarantees a wheelie and hospital if you dial in more than 5K. Do you really want to do all this?.. if so do not do it on the road and go to one of the wheelie days advertised they fit a clever microswitch and adjustable nylon rod at the rear which is linked to the side stand circuit so if you come too high the engine cuts and you come safely crashing down so you can Knacker up their suspension. Perfecting anything takes practise and with that comes falls be warned... great fun though :lol:
Fiat Panda.
Fiat Scudo (with speedblock, pipe carrier, reversing sensors, reversing camera, tow bar, some new rust and Fake Plumber logo)

started out with nothing, still have most of it left.

Ferro

Postby Ferro » Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:28 pm

Hi PaulR
haven't attempted to wheelie my R1150R EVER but have to say what an amusing thread this was.I was in tears by the time I got to the end of your post. There is absolutely nothing wrong with being juvenile at any age I think it's great :lol:
Gail

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Fri Nov 02, 2007 1:02 am

Paul, its all well and good these guys saying cover the back brake etc, but every time i manage to get the bike high enough to think about needing the rear brake, only the do i realise ive not covered it and shit meself. Its easy to get the bike up, but finding where to balance it and look where you're going, keeping teh throttle right etc etc can be a bit of an overload.

If I were you, i'd spend the day at a wheelie school, there's a few about and they give you bikes, normally bandits with wheelie bars fitted just in case you manage a minger. I'd love a day at one but it's not happening! Plod also can have you for serious points.
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

paulR

Re: ohhh

Postby paulR » Fri Nov 02, 2007 9:09 am

rc wrote:hi paulr
i have a 950 sm , perfect bike to wheelie, if you got the mods done air box akros,your bike will do them off the throttle 1 2 third gear. second gear go along half throttle shut off a little open right up and pull back ,ye ha ...rc

That sounds a bit less to remember :) .My 950SM is standard except for a 16T front sprocket, which should help. This bike really does bring out the hooligan in you though :D

Return to “Boxerbanter”