Triumph Sprint ST V Bmw R1100s

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

scotty

Triumph Sprint ST V Bmw R1100s

Postby scotty » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:21 am

Just back from a 4 day toodle around the Scottish Borders and Northumberland. What roads ! Really brilliant, and that's from someone who does all his motorcycling in the Grampian/Highlands region. Most of the surfaces are pretty smooth and they are just made for bikes.

A mate came up from Peterborough on his new Triumph Sprint and of course on the Sunday we were itching to have a go on each others bikes. We selected a B road to Bamborough and I had a spin on the Triumph for a bit. It's a taller bike than the s but managable for shorter folk. It's also more sat up when in the saddle. Christ, what an engine though....truly phenomenal. When I got used to the controls I opened it up along a B road straight and saw the 100 mark on the speedo before stamping on the excellent front brakes. There is a small amount of fork dive which we don't get on the s but all round a really competent sports tourer. I think the rear tyre wear will be a problem though as John phoned last night when he got back to Peterborough to say the rear will need changing at 3.000mls. I still prefered the beemer though.
BMW R1100S
Triumph Sprint ST 955

GeordieBoy

Re: Triumph Sprint ST V Bmw R1100s

Postby GeordieBoy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:42 am

scotty wrote: Just back from a 4 day toodle around the Scottish Borders and Northumberland. What roads ! Really brilliant, and that's from someone who does all his motorcycling in the Grampian/Highlands region. Most of the surfaces are pretty smooth and they are just made for bikes

Glad you enjoyed your trip Scotty. I'm always torn between singing the praises of this area & keeping it a secret! But if you're ever down this way again & need a local guide give us a shout!

Mark
'06 RSVR & '98 FireBlade
Image Image

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:00 pm

Guide me mate too, I only know a few of teh "main" routes but would love to discover the area a bit more.
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

scotty

Postby scotty » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:01 pm

Thanks Mark

I was really impressed with the whole region. On the Saturday we took a ride up to Kielder Water and round some of the pretty villages up there and on the Sunday went over to Bamburgh and then on to the Holy Isle. The only thing to watch is getting into a race with other bikers. There are loads of road side wreaths scattered all over the place and it's no wonder. I witnessed first hand a nutter on the latest Ducati fly past on a blind left hander. The locals must get pretty pi***d off about the whole thing. The scenery is obviously not on a par with the North West Highland region but the roads are, to my mind, better and safer at higher speeds. The funny thing is that on both the Sat and Sun we only did 100 miles each day and it was crammed full of interesting stops and places to see. People were saying that the road over to Mary's Loch is a belter and I think a lot of the local bikers do a loop of that region before heading south again.

Cheers
Scott
BMW R1100S

Triumph Sprint ST 955

m25jambuster

Postby m25jambuster » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:25 pm

Scotty

I'm surprised that your mate is expecting to change his tyre at 3k. Mine gets used each day and the current rear tyre is on 4600 miles and will probably go until about 6k before it needs changing. As a matter of interest for your mate if he can still find them try and get some original fitting 020's for the sprint, i think they are the NN designation. Althought the new 021's are good the 020 NN's are a slightly harder centre compound and will wear a little better than the new 021's. Hope this helps.

GeordieBoy

Postby GeordieBoy » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:29 pm

PBBoxer wrote:Guide me mate too, I only know a few of teh "main" routes but would love to discover the area a bit more.

No worries Paul (weather permitting - I'm keen to keep the new RSV looking beautiful :oops: )

Scotty - know what you mean about the weekend w@nkers, but it's not as bad as most other parts of the country IMO. Try and go a bit further south on your next visit & take in the A686 (pick it up on the A69 just west of Hexham & head south to Alston, Hartside & Melmerby - fabulous!).

Mark
'06 RSVR & '98 FireBlade

Image Image

scotty

Postby scotty » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:37 pm

Jambuster - Thanks I'll let John know. I think he was havering a bit about the tyre getting so worn. It looked ok to me on the Monday before he headed South. On the S I'm getting between over 7,000mls with a Conti Road attack fitted.

Geordie Boy - Thanks for the advice re the roads. I suppose I'm used to riding on roads with no mass bike participation. The Kielder Water area seemed to have loads of bikes flying around the place. It's no wonder though with roads like those. I'll definitely try and get down again as it's not too far from Aberdeen.

Scott
BMW R1100S

Triumph Sprint ST 955

simon

Postby simon » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:02 pm

...trouble is with A686 - Hartside is every body gets up there.. well nearly. I live at the start of the 686 / 69 and every weekend you hear sirens from meat wagons going up. They (the man) have 'copters and speed traps all over.
Last Sat. I renewed my aquaintence with the A7.. Carlisle - Hawick. Started off heading west with the traffic along the 69, filled up @ Carlisle then started up the A7. To me, infinitely more enjoyable.. hardly a soul, good roads, no cameras! Ok had to come back down the 68 (used to be good before the Border plods gatso'd it).
Anyway, loved the A7, great scenery, bends, surface.. 'Twas a glorious autumn day, the trees were just starting to turn but hadn't dumped their train stopping leaves!
Just my 2penn'rth!
Simon, now with a third
Yellow '98 R1100S
(..a bit more gimpy tho' [smilie=crutch.gif])

GeordieBoy

Postby GeordieBoy » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:28 pm

Have to say that's not my experience of the 686, but admittedly I don't live right beside it and tend to ride it at quieter times. In 3 years I've never seen a single helicopter or speed trap & I'd still recommend it very highly.

Look forward to trying the A7 though before the winter arrives!
'06 RSVR & '98 FireBlade

Image Image

simon

Postby simon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:26 am

Mark, good to meet you last night..
You're right, it's a good road off peak, with cracking views from the top of Hartside over the Lake District on a good day. Though be careful as a couple of times the "Bend ahead" sign really means it, rather than a slight kink!
I suppose familiarity breeds contempt!
Simon, now with a third

Yellow '98 R1100S

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:10 pm

m25jambuster wrote:Scotty

I'm surprised that your mate is expecting to change his tyre at 3k. Mine gets used each day and the current rear tyre is on 4600 miles and will probably go until about 6k before it needs changing. As a matter of interest for your mate if he can still find them try and get some original fitting 020's for the sprint, i think they are the NN designation. Althought the new 021's are good the 020 NN's are a slightly harder centre compound and will wear a little better than the new 021's. Hope this helps.

The 020 is a single compound tire, so if it is harder, it's harder all the way.

That said, I think the 020 is shite and the 021 has weird wear so neither will ever made it to my bike. I am very happy with Michelin and think they are better than Bridgestone in every regard.
Gijs

BMW R1100S | homepage | gallery
BMW K1200S 'tri-color ICBM' | ABS/ESA

scotty

Postby scotty » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:39 pm

Simon

I was told the A7 was a cracker of a road so I specifically took that road down to Hawick last weekend. For the first 15 miles out of Edinburgh I was wondering what everyone was raving about as I thought it was crap ie loads of traffic lights and roundabouts but from then on it really got quite good. I only went as far as Hawick so never tried the Hawick/Carlisle part but I would imagine that this is as good.

God, helicopters and gatso's on the 68 ! It's been years since I was on that road and have been told that they have flattened out slightly the huge hunpbacks that used to be on it. I remember flying over one of the humpbacks years ago and the police used to sit hidden on the other side. Now they have helicopters, speed radars and gatso's !
BMW R1100S

Triumph Sprint ST 955

simon

Postby simon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:38 pm

The bit I was raving about was Carlisle - Hawick.. haven't been on the the bit to Edinburgh, though looking at maps.google.co.uk the 'nice' bit seems to start south of Gorebridge (heading south). I normally take the 68 to Edinburgh and certainly the nearer you get the more restrictive it is.
BTW it's helicopters (sometimes) on A686 on nice (therefore poss. busy) weekends and gatsos on the A68 (north of the border).
The humpbacks are still there - south of the border about 12 miles north of Corbridge... definitely an 'easy tiger' bit! Though the 30mph advisory is abit OTT.. 50 I seem to recall was OK.
Simon, now with a third

Yellow '98 R1100S

Return to “Boxerbanter”