Conti Attacks in the Wet?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Rapid Dog

Conti Attacks in the Wet?

Postby Rapid Dog » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:28 pm

I just spooned on a set of Conti Road Attacks yesterday. The little scrub-in ride I did proves them to seem quite neutral in handling.

Not a big concern of mine here in SoCal but someone recently made a wary comment about how horrible they are in the rain. Looking at the tread pattern the do seem more like a slick than most s/t tires. One reason I thought I'd give them a try was because of reading how well they worked in the wet.

All tha being spewed, I thoght I'd ask you island boys what your opinion might be...anyone use them on your R11S'...?

The Sunshine Kid

Image[/b]
"...the burble of my exhaust unwound like a long cord behind me. Soon my speed snapped it, and I heard only the cry of the wind...." Larry of Arubia

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:52 pm

I had these on my BCR before I sold it and rode in some quite horrific weather, having not one single problem with them. A friend of mine also uses them on a VFR750 and rode 80 miles to my place last week in torrential rain - he commented on how good the Contis are.

I wouldn't worry to be honest. :)

izustu

Postby izustu » Tue Aug 21, 2007 7:09 am

I've been using this tyre for a while now, and it's performance in the wet is very good. Whilst this isn't a 'full on' sporty tyre, it performs very well and offers great value for money.

Typically with modern tyres, there really aren't any bad ones from the main factories. However, a lot of the 'feel' is down to personal preference.
:D

Simon

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:21 am

Rapid, I've been using Conti-Attack for the plast 6 months. As I get them free (long story) I guess I should be kind about them. They are really great in the Dry, amazing lean angles and really confident but they get a little 'weavy' once you get a few miles on them. In the wet they feel great and inspire confidence. However, they seem to give absolutely NO NOTICE of when they are letting 'Go'. (They especially don't enjoy wet metal raod fixtures; Manholes, Grates etc). That wouldn't be such a bad thing if it only occured when really pushing it hard, ... but it seems to just 'Happen'. I prefer Metzeler Z6's or even Bridgestone BT020's,.. or whatever they are called now.
My verdict: 7/10
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

Onebag

Postby Onebag » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:34 am

Had them on for about 2000 miles now. Previously had BT014/021's. The Conti's seem to me to turn in a bit quicker than the BT's, but don't hold nearly so well. The back end let go exiting a damp corner yesterday. I don't have anything like the same confidence in the Conti's as I had with the BT's. It's not all bad though... at least they look nice! But it's back to BT's for me.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:54 am

Onebag wrote:Had them on for about 2000 miles now. Previously had BT014/021's. The Conti's seem to me to turn in a bit quicker than the BT's, but don't hold nearly so well. The back end let go exiting a damp corner yesterday. I don't have anything like the same confidence in the Conti's as I had with the BT's. It's not all bad though... at least they look nice! But it's back to BT's for me.

Interesting.

Just to throw a spanner in the works (and that tyres these days are very subjective) I'd say that the 014's were quite possibly the worst tyre I'd ever used on an 1100S, on the Road Attacks I didn't have a single moment on them in the wet or dry. Riding style probably has more to do with how a certain tyre grips than anything else these days - one man's meat etc etc.

Bottom line, in my humble opinion, is if you like the tread pattern go for it. My current faves are the new Avon Storm ST's - bloody amazing, and have got nearly 5000 miles out of a rear on a Blackbird. Not been hanging around either ;)

kitkat

Postby kitkat » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:42 pm

Got to agree with you on the Avon theme. In the summer :shock: I is mainly using Avon Viper Sports and in the winter Avon Storms.

I think it is in the current Ride mag where they put the Viper Sport on a Ducati 999/916 and an Aprilla RSV as a control tyre and they were both surprised and impressed. Only get about 3000 on the rear and 5500 from the front but they stick like glue and have never slipped in the wet :) and they don't square off either.

Dave
Don't waste your time or time will waste you.

cc mac

Postby cc mac » Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:59 pm

Same here with the Avons
Watching you Focker!

BlueBoxer

Postby BlueBoxer » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:19 pm

Rapid Dog

I've Conti Road Attacks on the R1100S and a Yamaha FJR1300.

I've no issues at all with their wet weather performance. I ride every day in all weathers, and their fine. I've found the 'edge' of the wet weather grip OK, and they've given notice of letting go. :roll:

To each his own, by Conti's are my choice of tyre :!:

Steve
FJR1300
R1100S

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:54 pm

BockingBandit wrote:. They are really great in the Dry, amazing lean angles and really confident but they get a little 'weavy' once you get a few miles on them. In the wet they feel great and inspire confidence. However, they seem to give absolutely NO NOTICE of when they are letting 'Go'. (They especially don't enjoy wet metal raod fixtures; Manholes, Grates etc). That wouldn't be such a bad thing if it only occured when really pushing it hard, ... but it seems to just 'Happen'. I prefer Metzeler Z6's or even Bridgestone BT020's,.. or whatever they are called now.
My verdict: 7/10

I've used a couple of sets of road attacks and for a while I thought i'll be sticking with this tyre for a while even though (reluctantly) I'd agree with most of the above .... until I tried a set of BT021's although 021's need a bit more effort on turn in.
Nigel B.

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

Nick

Postby Nick » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:17 pm

Went to the Alps some weeks ago with M3's fitted great tyres.

Pal had the pilot road 2's on the VFR 800 and he loves them.

I could not believe that after 2000 miles the guy on the R1 with storms fitted had, what I could see as hardly any wear at all. he was the happiest in the wet stuff too.

Has anyone tried the storms on the R1100s
Train don't go down there no more

RiceBurner
The Mirthman Prophecy

Postby RiceBurner » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:26 am

I don't rate Road Attacks.

yes they're a few quid cheaper than Diablo Stradas, but: the feedback is not as good, the wet weather feel is NOWHERE near as good, and the longevity is worse. (which I find very annoying as they're meant to last longer due to deeper tread).

Road Attacks are (for me) comparable to Diablo Stradas in the dry, but not as good in the wet. Since I ride in all weathers I have decided to stick to Stradas for a bit longer.
non quod, sed quomodo

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:08 pm

Got to say that for the money that the Road attacks are great, but they seem to square off at half way point. Not had any moments in the wet, but as reported, they are a little weevey and sensitive to overbanding/ white lines etc.
I still say that Pilot Road /2 are a pretty good all rounder if a tad expensive.
The front Road 2 has the most progressive wear pattern I've seen on any tyre ever! really good in the wet too.
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

oyster

Postby oyster » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:22 pm

I agree with Bocking bandit and Grommit on the Road Attacks. Just over 4000 miles on the pair, can just still read the wording on the front tyre, rear looks a little flat and is beginning to get a little more sensitive to lines, paint marks and drain covers. I have ridden through biblical downpours on them, Wiltshire and in France, super confident. Only time the back came round was on a leaf messed wet road (light rain) while cranking up through the box a bit too enthusiastically - still did a record time back to base on that day!
Excellent at the price and remember their heritage.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Lars1974

Postby Lars1974 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:47 pm

hi,

i have the second set of Conti Road attacks on my S now...they perform very well...lasted 2 major trips through europe including a lot of wet riding...changed them after nearly 8k miles... and now on the second set, which have done just over 2k....

good value too... at £170 a pair..

hope this helps.
thx Lars

Return to “Boxerbanter”