Aggggghhh!!! I'm in love!

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dog Tyred

Postby Dog Tyred » Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:34 am

Mate of mine has just sold his yellow F800, complete with Remus exhaust can, full Schnitzer body panels, BMW seat cowl, tinted touring screen (and a few other bits I should'nt wonder) and having initially thought about an S bought a 2002 H*nda VFR 800 (pre V-tec model) instead??

Go figure :?
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Oh. Thanks a lot for telling me that NOW, nu2bmw!!!!!!!!! :D

(Tell your mate that I won't be interested in buying his VFR :D )

Pip pip, y'all!

(gorgeous day today.....just back from a quick blat down the Quarry Road. Seemed silly not to really....)
Come on down to a FLASH weekend break in South West France!
Rufty-Tufty, tassled, Bikers ONLY. No cars please! (unless it's a Volvo Estate with a carbon fibre tow-bar)

Check it out on: http://www.flashtours.co.uk

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:07 am

Picking it up on Thursday. Blue ST, fully loaded.

:D
Rufty-Tufty, tassled, Bikers ONLY. No cars please! (unless it's a Volvo Estate with a carbon fibre tow-bar)

winny

Postby winny » Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:15 pm

Hi Flash,

You know it's not going to have the engine braking of the GS and you may have to use the brakes!
Incidently, I forgot to ask you to prove the brake light was actually connected as the concensus among the group was that it WASN'T, as no one ever saw the light come on!

John
1998 BMW R1100S
1981 Rickman Predator

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:15 pm

winny wrote:Hi Flash,

You know it's not going to have the engine braking of the GS and you may have to use the brakes!
Incidently, I forgot to ask you to prove the brake light was actually connected as the concensus among the group was that it WASN'T, as no one ever saw the light come on!

John

The GS has got the standard brake button on the h'bar....... :P

I am now well into "thrash mode" on the F800 and have seen 200 kph on the clock a number of times already. I know it can do more than that once it's loosened up some more, so I'm.......loosening it :D

Took it down the Road of Doom this morning to give it a work-out and took the road the "wrong" way (ie the reverse direction to what I've been doing for the past year or so). Amazing how it totally changes the road; there are sections that I'd got used to that were bend-swingers, one, two, three, four, etc....Going in the opposite direction I couldn't even see where they began. Needless to say the F took the bumps in its stride although I can see that at some point I'm going to regret the Telelever front end of the GS. :(

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Sun Aug 12, 2007 9:53 am

Got a speeding ticket................ :(

Yogi Bear

Postby Yogi Bear » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:03 pm

FLASH wrote:Got a speeding ticket................ :(

The odds were stacked against you, It was only a matter of time... :crybaby:

Keep your chin up :wave:

Ali
“Wrinkles merely indicate where smiles have been”
Mark Twain

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:12 pm

FLASH wrote:Got a speeding ticket................ :(

Oops :oops:

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:01 pm

Oh bugger. Hope it wasn't on one of your 200kmph top speed runs... :shock:

Invoke the might of her Brittanic Majesty's protection and ring the foreign office to send over a gun boat. Any half decent lawyer would suggest the same.

Good luck old bean.

Paul :wink:
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:26 am

nah.....stupid really (I really should listen to my own advice.) I'd just left the dealer in Cognac after the 1000 km service and I was heading back towards Melle on the road we usually take. I'd spotted a diversion for HGVs a year or so back and had never taken it so I thought I'd try it. It was OK for the first 3-4 kms and then went through a village. I was down around 70kph and then the road opened up past an industrial zone and gave onto a dead straight road with nothing on either side, no houses, no buildings at all. I was looking at the end of the straight and I clocked the two gendarmes at about the same time that they would have seen me. I wasn't particularly worried, backed off a little and kept going. I wasn't particularly surprised when they flagged me down but WAS surprised when they told me that I was in a 50 zone. It's the old trap of still being inside the "agglomeration" although you're outside the built-up area. I was clocked at 98kph which would have been very reasonable had I been on an NSL road. I was now more than a little worried as more than 30kph over the limit normally results in an immediate ban!!! I think they must have taken the road conditions into consideration and just hit me with a 90 euro fine and 3 points (on my pristine and previously well-concealed French licence). Ho hum, not a bad result really.

Remember!!!!! Go VERY careful on any long straights into or out of a built-up area and keep your speed down until you've passed the "city limits" sign.

Think I'll go back to using the GS...... :D :D

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:07 am

Been using the F800on two consecutive weekends now and it's confirmed everything I thought about it. Riding with a group tends to be a bit more "relaxed"(from my perspective) than when I'm out for a thrash on my own and I've at last been able to appreciate the mid-range and to ride the torque. It's really a very pleasant machine to ride and can ride all day in 4th with plenaty of drive throughout the rev-range. Start stirring the box however and it really takes off. The engine doesn't "feel" like a parallel twin somehow??? Don't know what they've done, but it sort of feels like a smooth boxer engine...how bizarre.
This last weekend I popped the pillion cherry. Really was a little bit nervous about it as the bike is so light I thought it would be reminiscent of taking my lad on the back off his 125 when he was passing his test. Had two pillions on the back (no, not at the same time, you fool!) Miss "A" who prolly weighs about 60 kgs and Mr "B" who tips the scales at about 80kg (his 1200GS broke down...). Amazingly the bike just shrugged them off (no, not literally, you fool!). Felt good stationary, pulling away, slow-speed manoeuvring and flat out. Not as totally "are they still there" as the GS, but a real eye-opener nonetheless. No rider/passenger interface and no crowding. Apparently the perch is comfortable as well. Finally got to see 240kph on the clock, so that'll be 150mph indicated, then.

That'll do :D :D

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:36 am

8)

nab 301

Postby nab 301 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:58 pm

FLASH wrote: just hit me with a 90 euro fine and 3 points (on my pristine and previously well-concealed French licence).

Does a French licence not start with the full compliment of points and gradually dwindle until you have no points and no licence ...............? :? :lol:

Keep smiling, it makes people wonder what you've been up to!
1999 R1100s (mandarin) '
2018 DL 250V Strom
2019 CB125F Honda.
MZ301 Saxon Fun ( currently retired)
'03 Bullet 65 project..

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:25 am

nab 301 wrote:
FLASH wrote: just hit me with a 90 euro fine and 3 points (on my pristine and previously well-concealed French licence).

Does a French licence not start with the full compliment of points and gradually dwindle until you have no points and no licence ...............? :? :lol:

Yes :)

Return to “Boxerbanter”