Biking in France

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

oyster

Biking in France

Postby oyster » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:27 pm

French jaunt coming up shortly. I have learned about right of way onto roundabouts and you must stop at the line at junctions. Anything else anyone knows about? Do bikes have to have lights on all the time?
thanks chaps
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:30 pm

1. Lights - yes
2. If you see a Belgian-registered car be very wary.
3. You'll get waved to/acknowledged by every other biker on the road.
4. Have fun.

tripe

Postby tripe » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:35 pm

Not only lights on but don't forget a set of spare bulbs- mandatory.
As is a hi-viz vest I believe to wear in case of breakdown
Cash is handy for when your credit cards do't work at the self service petrol station, I love the friendliness of other road users as most will happily charge your petrol to their card for the cash.

Its a joy

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Fri Apr 06, 2007 4:36 pm

And without fail, every french driver will see you approaching in the rear view mirror and pull over to let you through. Don't forget to give a thank you wave.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

winger

Postby winger » Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:56 pm

If you haven't got lights on you'll get either nicked or a bollocking off the law,i've had several of the latter when i've knocked e'm off by mistake.

Don't run out of fuel on the motorway you'll get nicked for that as well.

The French have had a major crack down on speeding,which to start with when i was warned took with a pinch of salt,i got lucky before i realised it was true!!

If your travelling on spec,carry an Ibis hotel book with not because you want to stay in the said hotel chain,but there are always others close by.

There ain't a better country in the world to ride a motorbike!!!

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:33 pm

Oh and dont drink booze too much the night before they are shit hot.

Have a euro plate or a GB sticker as well.

Carry cash for the speeding fine.

Stay of the major routes if possible.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:37 pm

And most importantly ENJOY, As Chris said there is nowhere better to ride a bike.

Peter.

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:08 pm

Also, if you use the peage, stay in the outside lane at the pay booth, they want bikes to use the inside lane, but you often get pulled over by the gendarmes immediatley your through for a check.

Steve
Well-weathered leather

Hot metal and oil

The scented country air

Sunlight on chrome

The blur of the landscape

Every nerve aware

Backmarker

Postby Backmarker » Fri Apr 06, 2007 9:08 pm

And if you are coming out of Calais on the ferry, dont get caught up in the 'I am making progress' and 'if you can go that fast so can I' thingy.

Last year I made 6 trips to France (Bike and Car) and on every one there were folks charging off to the south that I passed within an hour pulled by the side of the road. The speed traps arent 'just off the ferry', they give time and space for things to settle down, open up, look clear, and then they pull the serious merchants.

madman

Postby madman » Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:52 am

Don't bother with spare bulbs or a hi-vis jacket they only apply to cars not bikes. If cars coming the other way flash you look out for the police they will be up the road. If you have a euro numberplate then you do not need a GB sticker. Carry your bike documents and some for of identity with you when you are on the bike.
If you are down this way then there is coffee and wine available for any Boxertrix members. I also have space to put up a tent and a garage full of tools if needed.
2004 Silver (mine)
2001 Silver/Manderin (hers)
Visiting France? Read my blog on http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

oyster

Postby oyster » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:01 am

Thanks all!

So; headlights on; check. GB sticker or Euro plates: check. Have actually got hi-vis and bulbs (and a triangle): check. Dont speed: check. (I hope). Driving licence, passport, insurances (£50 Euro breakdown recovery!), tickets, NHS card, credit card, cash, map, route plan, spare socks and toothbrush: check.

Do I need a beam deflector?

Thanks madman, I wont quite reach the Dordogne though. Having read your blog in the past I would love to meander there on a bike.
Oyster. 1999 R1100S. Almost original.

winger

Postby winger » Sat Apr 07, 2007 5:21 pm

Beam deflector?? no,actually i rather like it things as they are,so you beam is concentrated on the middle of the road and not the ditch!!

You say insurance??,haveing an E111 is all very well,that'll get your arm plastered but what then!!, make sure you've got some medical insurance that will fly you home when things go Pete Tong,check the small print nearly all of e'm exclude motorcycles,despite what they say on the phone,the only one that delivers what they say is Carol Nash.

Speeding!! jesus thats the whole point of going!!! just don't get caught,and when your rideing through small villages give e', a bit of respect,it's sounds obvious,but alot of the villages are on the side of main roads and it's dead easy to just keep bollocking along.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:33 pm

And another thing - all fixed French speed cameras (in my experience) are signposted - if you see a speed camera sign there WILL be a camera within a couple of km. Unlike here they don't put signs where there are no cameras. Speed cameras are grey, waist-height boxes mounted on the ground beside the road - not nearly as visible as our Gastos.

Don't run low on fuel on Sundays or public holidays - a lot of petrol stations (including those in towns) are unmanned on these days and don't take cash or UK cards. If you're off the beaten track on a Sunday and doing big mileages start looking for a manned petrol station when you're down to half a tank. Motorway services are OK for petrol any day, though.

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:19 am

winger wrote:I
There ain't a better country in the world to ride a motorbike!!!

Now you've started something :wink:

Jason
2002 Black GSA (for random fault analysis and for stealing all my weekends fixing the b'stard)
2000 Black R1100S (for remembering the good old times)

winger

Postby winger » Sun Apr 08, 2007 7:48 pm

sproggy wrote:And another thing - all fixed French speed cameras (in my experience) are signposted - if you see a speed camera sign there WILL be a camera within a couple of km. Unlike here they don't put signs where there are no cameras. Speed cameras are grey, waist-height boxes mounted on the ground beside the road - not nearly as visible as our Gastos.

Don't run low on fuel on Sundays or public holidays - a lot of petrol stations (including those in towns) are unmanned on these days and don't take cash or UK cards. If you're off the beaten track on a Sunday and doing big mileages start looking for a manned petrol station when you're down to half a tank. Motorway services are OK for petrol any day, though.

Blimey!!! untill they change the law who gives a monkeys about setting fixed speed cameras off,i've had cameras flash me in Holland,Germany,the old east Germany and France,had one flash me just outside St Malo it scared the crao out of me,it was mounted onto of an armco barrier,they'll change the law one day but untill then !!!.

Return to “Boxerbanter”