Nadgers

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Chamelespoon

Nadgers

Postby Chamelespoon » Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:53 pm

Well, finally binned it. :oops:

Riding back to hotel in Abingdon at ~11:30pm last Wednesday, along the perfectly unlit A415, and failed to make what turned out to be a rather pathetic bend in the road. Target fixated on the grass verge and after a bit of cross-country wall-of-death, bike stopped dead and I get flung unceremoniously into the road.

In my defense, I had just been blinded by an insanely bright set of traffic lights on some roadworks, and there was an oncoming car at the bend so I was restricted to dip beam and reduced night vision... but seeing the bend in the daylight, I could've wobbled around it.

Thankfully got off reasonably lightly with damaged muscles in the right side of my back and a cracked rib; back to around 80% mobility now after a week.

Bike's not too bad either, mostly fairing damage. Sadly, one of the lugs holding the subframe on has sheared off (left hand side), so I'm wondering if that'll be enough for them to classify it a write-off? Also slightly paranoid as I forgot to tell Carole Nash that I'd replaced the exhaust; hoping it won't matter.

Ah well, 6-8 weeks until I get the bike back, apparently, assuming they're going to fix it. Shame Carole Nash stuffed up collecting the bike, else it would have been with them nearly a week by now, rather than them picking it up tomorrow. :roll:

In the meantime, shopping for a new suit and helmet to do, seeing as I smashed the latter and A&E cut off the former.

Anyway, ride safe, all... and remember, look where you want to go, not at the thing you're trying to avoid... :sad1:

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:05 pm

Sorry to hear about your off matey. I know from bitter personal experience you feel like a complete tit when you eventually grind to a halt. Still, I'm sure Aunty Carole will work her magic and get you back on the road again soon.

All the best,

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

gus

Postby gus » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:28 pm

Glad to hear your ok.
Domt worry too much,we all make a mistake from time to time.As long as you learn from it,all will be well.
Sounds like they may write the bike off with the broken lugs.
Dont worry about the exhaust either.
all the best
gus

winger

Postby winger » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:46 pm

Ditto

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Wed Mar 21, 2007 6:48 pm

Ditto to all thats been said. Hope you get sorted soon.

Peter.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Wed Mar 21, 2007 9:48 pm

Wouldnt worry about the exhaust mate, they didnt give me any grief. Either time!
The frame is approx 700 squid plus labour, but the lugs can be welded back on if you so wish, especially if you decide to keep teh bike if they write it off.

Good luck
PB
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:48 am

Glad you're OK - driving at night is difficult at the best of times I find, especially with the stock S candle light. Target fixation is such a common occurance innit. Looking away is never easy and like Gus says, we've all done it. I find I have to shout at myself to make me turn away :wink:

Get well soon anyway, and if you want to sell a wreck then let me know. I've got my old S back on the road at the moment and she's not feeling to well somewhere but I can't put my finget on it at the moment :oops:

Jason
2002 Black GSA (for random fault analysis and for stealing all my weekends fixing the b'stard)
2000 Black R1100S (for remembering the good old times)

Blackal

Postby Blackal » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:57 am

Sorry to hear about your excursion, and that it'll be a while before you get out on the bike again :?

Your final sentence is a timely reminder to us all, perhaps - it's easy to suddenly transfer your focus when things just start to go wrong.

Good luck with the insurance.

Al
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:25 am

glad you are ok.

once you are up and running get some more track days in :wink:
works wonders for target fixation and other rider/bend related issues.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

Chamelespoon

Postby Chamelespoon » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:09 am

Thanks to you all for the kind words. Hoping they don't write the thing off, simply because it's less hassle to get them to fix it rather than try to do it myself after buying back the salvage.

Jason M wrote:Glad you're OK - driving at night is difficult at the best of times I find, especially with the stock S candle light.

Well, I haven't gone the HID route, but I did stick in some higher powered bulbs which helped quite a bit. Annoying thing is that the S is (was?) my only form of transport, so I've been riding it all year in all weathers for a couple of years now... then stuff it in a ditch on a dry and reasonably clear night, after having surviving the winter commute without a scratch! Very irritating.

Jason M wrote:Target fixation is such a common occurance innit. Looking away is never easy and like Gus says, we've all done it. I find I have to shout at myself to make me turn away :wink:

Might have to try that myself, rather than the thought bouncing around my skull at the time, which was, "I'm going in... not gonna make it this time". :oops: (Surprisingly, and slightly amusingly, I also remember the two words, "Oh... bugger", popping into my head at just the moment where the bike stopped and launched me into the air.)

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:29 pm

Sorry to hear your bad news, but glad you have come away with only minor injuries.

Hope the insurance is a quick and painless and that you get back on 2 wheels soon.

Andrew
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:51 pm

Can I have your tool-kit?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :P
Come on down to a FLASH weekend break in South West France!
Rufty-Tufty, tassled, Bikers ONLY. No cars please! (unless it's a Volvo Estate with a carbon fibre tow-bar)

Check it out on: http://www.flashtours.co.uk

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:56 pm

Owch!! Glad to hear you're ok and hope the bike (be it terminated or to be fixed) is sorted soon.

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Thu Mar 22, 2007 2:16 pm

Speedy recovery on the minor injuries. I'm sure you'll have a few 'what if...' thoughts on reflection.

Another one on the road to a 1200?

Chamelespoon

Postby Chamelespoon » Thu Mar 22, 2007 4:12 pm

FLASH wrote:Can I have your tool-kit?

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :P

I'd say "sure", but my toolkit is about as incomplete as you could imagine. Not only is the wheel nut wrench missing (bike didn't come with a centre stand), but half of the allen keys too. Wish I'd checked when I bought the thing.

Oh, and the puncture repair kit has been used once, but a little overzealously, too. :wink:

Return to “Boxerbanter”