OT: goretex and suchlike in boots.

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

bigblackfalco

OT: goretex and suchlike in boots.

Postby bigblackfalco » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:12 pm

Guys, Bought some new Gericke Goretex boots a few weeks back.
The first pair leaked like a sieve so I took them back and they changed them no quibbles.
Well the second pair lasted till last Friday when it rained most of the day.
Strangley my boots seemed to be wetter on the inside than out. Also the boots (now very damp) gave little or no insulation and my feet were really cold even though it's not really winter yet.
So I took them back today too and they gave me a full cash refund.I explained that my last pair of their boots ,which I still have and use, lasted me 3 years and the only reason for their replacement was that the stitching had split.
I'm now looking at buying a pair of Altberg boots, but am stuck between buying a membraned boot (goretex etc) and a non membraned boot.
The non membraned boots ,some say, keep your feet warmer due to the fact that the leather breathes better.
I thought I'd ask you lot as it seems that a fair few of you are into your outdoor pursuits.
Your comments please!
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:27 pm

It may sound silly but check what socks you're wearing. A common misconception ( usually with jackets ) is people think the gore is leaking when actually it's the material they are wearing underneath is the culprit. Put some systems into Gore in Livi years ago and one of the chaps there explained it. Cotton doesn't allow goretex to work fully so really you want some sort of wicking material to allow it to breath properly.

hth

Toodle Pip
:wav:

ps. that's not to say you haven't just beenn unlucky and had 2 faulty pairs of boots right enough ! :shock:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Mon Oct 23, 2006 9:50 pm

Surprised at the HG hassles - had a pair of their basic goretex boots for over 4 years without a leak, they were brilliant, warm and dry at all times and they even managed not to stink despite repeated all day use - wore the sole out and couldn't get them repaired....

currently sporting Daytona Road Star Goretex and can't really fault em except the sole has silly little nobbles which pick up mud/chewing gum/shite something chronic (and then deposit it on the living room floor)...

Not cheap but then I hope to keep them for 4 years.

Your cold feet are probably linked to being wet feet...

I also have a pair of goretex Berghaus walking boots and again I can't fault them...

Ade.
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

gus

Postby gus » Mon Oct 23, 2006 10:06 pm

Hi bailey
I,ve used various products utilizising goretex,from boots to trousers and jackets.I,ve always used a good undergarmet,ie with insulation and good wicking properties.Never had a problem with leakage or cold.Could be a crap batch of boots.My brotherinlaw higley recommends the oxtar evo goretex boots.I had alpine stars goretex boots for about 4 years,no leaks and warm.
gus

Yogi Bear

Boots

Postby Yogi Bear » Mon Oct 23, 2006 11:20 pm

I've got the Altberg Clubman Classic and I can't recommend them highly enough.
I've been down the road in them too...

"This is a tough boot - solid underfoot support and crush resistant midsole, waterproof membrane lining - tall classic leg design. A great British boot at its best in the worst British weather & conditions.
CE CERTIFIED PRE DIRECTIVE 89/686/EEC ANNEX II"

Needless to say - I've never had wet feet...

Ali :thumbup:
“Wrinkles merely indicate where smiles have been”
Mark Twain

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:27 am

Like Ade I've got Daytona Road Star Goretex boots and never had wet feet :D . After 7-8 years when I'd worn all the nobbles off the sole they put new soles and Goretex liners in for £65. Brilliant :D .

Cheers

Ian

tripe

Postby tripe » Tue Oct 24, 2006 6:45 am

Wore out a pair of Roadstars after 4 years daily use and upgraded to a pair of Goretex Daytona Evo's. Tried them all on at a London dealer and then ordered them over the phone from these chaps in Germany. http://nord2.nordbike.de/index.jsp;jses ... 7d5733f646
Saved over £125. Just make sure you order the ones that fit.
They don't let in a drop, even after the ride through last nights downpour.

Henry

big rob

Postby big rob » Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:27 am

Hi,
I can't fault my German Para Boots & Gortex liners (military surplus stores), for added comfort I wear Gaiters too (any walkie type shop).
I have on a couple of occassions ridden 500 miles plus in the foulest of british weather, the above combination works well.

winger

Postby winger » Tue Oct 24, 2006 12:42 pm

Bailey

Tut tut,you've been round the block enough times,Daytona!!!!! anyone one of the models with gortex.

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Tue Oct 24, 2006 1:15 pm

Chris, what model of Gericke boot were you trying? I've had my TRG's (Trail Rallye Gore) boots for almost a year and they've been used every weekday and most weekends all through winter and summer and anything in between that this and other countries can throw at them.

Never a leak, although they're not the warmest boots I've had. Thermal, wicking socks from an outdoor shop solve that problem, though, and kept my toes toasty for over 1000 miles in 2 days with the average temperature hovering around zero.

Highly recommended.

I have found the quality of Gericke kit to vary, though - I bought a jacket last autumn (same time as the TRG's) that had come out on or near the top of a RiDE test and within a week (300 miles) it was falling apart. The shop claimed not to have had anyone else return one with similar problems but they sorted things out to my satisfaction without a quibble. Consistently good service if not consistently good products.

PBBoxer

Postby PBBoxer » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:04 pm

Altberg

One of the best boots there is, ask most Police forces. Waterproof, not too expensive, bloody excellent
1997 CBR1100XXV
1999 CBR1100XX
2009 HP2 Sport
2006 R1200s
2013 R1200RT anniversary

Nick

Postby Nick » Tue Oct 24, 2006 3:49 pm

PB wrote
Altberg

One of the best boots there is, ask most Police forces. Waterproof, not too expensive, bloody excellent

Ditto

Had mine for 3 years hand built and water proof. Heavy duty sole though
Train don't go down there no more

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:53 pm

Took the plunge today and ended up with a pair of daytona bandit xcr goretex( Chris must've done summat on the voodoo dolly!). They fit well and buid quality is excellent. I like the fact that they offer a rebuild service rather than being a disposeable type boot.
The Gericke boots that I returned were something like Tc1 XCR or similar...a mid length sport touring boot.
My previous gericke boots were the ones that won all the awards in MCN/ ride etc, more of an tall ankle boot with lace up internal covered by a zip up front.I'd have another pair but they stopped making them!
I decided against the Altbergs as I prefer to try boots on before I purchase them.
Bailey.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:37 pm

theseadog wrote:It may sound silly but check what socks you're wearing. A common misconception ( usually with jackets ) is people think the gore is leaking when actually it's the material they are wearing underneath is the culprit. Put some systems into Gore in Livi years ago and one of the chaps there explained it. Cotton doesn't allow goretex to work fully so really you want some sort of wicking material to allow it to breath properly.

hth

Toodle Pip
:wav:

ps. that's not to say you haven't just beenn unlucky and had 2 faulty pairs of boots right enough ! :shock:
You're right there. I hate cotton socks anyway;always wear wool mixture socks like Bridgedale. I've been told also that Goretex needs room to breath.So wearing 2 pairs of sox and restricting airflow in your boots/clothing is a no no!
It's amazing how many little 'tips' you can pick up when you get chatting about summat like Goretex! :D
Bailey.

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:09 am

Though it's too late for Bailey in this instance, you can always supplement a normal (non-gtx) pair of boots with some Sealskins socks. These are socks with a goretex or similar membrane inside them. Keep your feet warm as well as dry and are not too thick either.

Return to “Boxerbanter”