Your other interests...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Gromit

Your other interests...

Postby Gromit » Tue Oct 17, 2006 4:36 pm

Apart from the obvious passion everyone has on this site for motorcycyling (and of course for motorcycles of the blue & white propeller-badged variety) what are your other interests?

Do we have any high-altitude stamp collectors? Black belt gardners?

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:20 pm

Apparently I spend a lot of time shooting things on the play station...

oh and cinema, travel, outdoor type stuff (camping walking), footie, fine food & booze, music, literature, architecture, tropical fish... - the usual stuff..

pretty dull really.

Work tends to take up most of my life - fortunately I enjoy it.

some of the time..

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

m25jambuster

Postby m25jambuster » Tue Oct 17, 2006 5:21 pm

My other interest list looks like this:

Long distance running - marathons and ultra marathons - this is why I found the leg injury so frustrating this year
Most forms of motorsport domestic and international
Photography - mainly motorsport based
The last two in the list used to be a freelance income of mine and was fortunate enough to be involved in the BTCC series in the early to mid 90's. Then I got a house and mortgage and needed a 'proper' regular income. So my freelance interest became a hobby which I still do now when time permits.
Have recently invested in upgrading to digital SLR's but due to the poor p/x offered (sound familiar?) I have kept my 35mm Film SLR's as well.
If anyone ever wants some moving / action shots done of them on their bike then let me know :D

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:03 pm

Should've listed mine doh! :roll:

I'd wanted a decent hifi system of my own since I was about 12 years old as my dad was always into this sort of stuff. I've collected/bought/sold lots of equipment over the years but finally have a set-up I really enjoy listening to. As a professional musician the reproduction of music means a lot to me.

Other stuff...

Used to be mega into photography (did it as one of my A-level Art papers) but owing to the ever-increasing cost of it, the interest kind of dwindled over the years. The advent of more affordable digital SLR's has got me interested again though - need to get off my *rse and do some more.

Don't get the chance to do much now but have in the past done a lot of hill/mountain walking. Being in the RAF has meant lots of opportunities to do this kind of stuff. If I get a week or two's worth of time out on the hills of the Lake District or Scotland per year I'll be happy. Definitely good for the soul :)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:04 pm

m25jambuster wrote:If anyone ever wants some moving / action shots done of them on their bike then let me know :D

You'll need to use the 'B' setting for me Keith. :D

madman

Postby madman » Tue Oct 17, 2006 7:05 pm

My time in the RAF saw me trying loads of things, SCUBA diving, gliding, parachuting, rock climbing, microlighting and PPL flying, hill walking, drinking.
Apart from paying for me to do these things they also let me fix nasty warplanes too. On top of all that they pay me a pension so that I don't have to work and can spend all my time riding motorbikes and sitting in the sun.
When people ask me how I can afford to retire at my age, I tell them that I had to kill many arabs to be able to get the pension. But I know that one thing I naver liked in the RAF was guns, and I have never used one in anger.
2004 Silver (mine)
2001 Silver/Manderin (hers)
Visiting France? Read my blog on http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

Rods

Postby Rods » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:14 pm

Gromit wrote: As a professional musician the reproduction of music means a lot to me.

Cool - does that mean that I'm a professional of some sort too? :shock: I thought we just did it for the giggle - I will never forget Linton / Croydon etc - how professional were we then?! :oops:

As for my interests...

On the motorcycling side I am an IAM Observer for the local club, which takes up the majority of my riding now :cry: In addition to this I enjoy teaching the clarinet and saxophone (ok it's similar to my day job, but the advantage of doing this privately is that I can hand pick my students who are a great bunch). Cycling is my favourite sport (I've just started road racing for the RAF :D ), and I don't have any qualms about embarassing myself in the odd Cross Country event :oops: . I would consider myself relatively knowledgeable about wine, and when time permits and the weather is miserable, I have been known to dabble with my train set. I also try and get up to the Lakes or somewhere similar most years for a bit of fresh air and exercise.
Another brilyunt mind diztroyed

by the publik edukashun sistum.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:22 pm

Rods wrote: I thought we just did it for the giggle - I will never forget Linton / Croydon etc - how professional were we then?! :oops:

Call that the blind leading the partially-sighted. :D

throttlemeister

Postby throttlemeister » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:38 pm

Besides riding my bike, also wrenching on bikes. Have a small shop with my dad and love working together on different bikes, being busy with my hands instead of sitting on my arse behind a computer screen like normal work.

Besides that, photography is something I also really enjoy. Not the artsie stuff, but just documenting what I see. At the moment the tool for the job is the Canon 30D, which really is a wonderful camera.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:42 pm

Gosh aren't we civilised - there must be someone out there who would own up to dogging and/or collecting Wedgwood figurines.....:wink:

Ade.
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

RoLoo

Re: Your other interests...

Postby RoLoo » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:17 am

Gromit wrote:...and of course for motorcycles of the blue & white propeller-badged variety) what are your other interests?...

...just for the records Richard ; on my S the propeller-badges are red/white these days...

...and I still have this : just click THIS button

...bought it new in 1988, and had it delivered on my birthday..
...BTW : the last time me and my Mini were in Britain was in 1999 ; in Gaydon at the International Mini Meeting...

...and maybe a bit stupid ; but I like doing things around the house, or go out by bicycle, or have a beer somewhere on a terrace...
Have a nice day !
Ron.

R1200S + R1200RT
(RoLoo as in RowLow...)

Harry

Postby Harry » Wed Oct 18, 2006 8:17 am

Racing Formula 1 sidacrs. but you knew that already.....

quicksilver

Postby quicksilver » Wed Oct 18, 2006 4:13 pm

Hi Harry... see you at lyden on sunday weather permiting... What bike will you be running ..colour and number...

Cheers Andy
Catch me if you can...........
R1200GSA for the road...R1200s for the track, Colgate sport-pack, Power Commander,
K&N,Full each cylinder Mapped, Full Remus System,
Ohlins set up at MCT, Dyno-Jet Quickshifter, ;-)

skiddy boxers

Postby skiddy boxers » Wed Oct 18, 2006 6:05 pm

Gosh aren't we civilised - there must be someone out there who would own up to dogging and/or collecting Wedgwood figurines.....

Dogging wedgwood figurines?...don't knock it until you've tried it :roll:
Nick

When life gives you melons, you may be dyslexic.

Desmo904

Postby Desmo904 » Wed Oct 18, 2006 7:13 pm

In the days when all my body parts worked as designed (brain apart), I was heavily involved in water ski-ing - firstly for pleasure, then competitively.
When the bones and muscles started to object, I promoted myself to driving the boat for said competitions and roamed Europe driving various tournaments whilst apparently not favouring British skiers (much).
Now, when I'm not riding my bike, or diy chez moi, I dabble in radio controlled aeroplane crashing. Warbirds are my favourite, with four-stroke engines.
The more observant amongst you may notice the regular appearance of plasters on my fingers. :oops:

Return to “Boxerbanter”