Hmmmmm............not sure about this!!

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Dog Tyred

Hmmmmm............not sure about this!!

Postby Dog Tyred » Thu Sep 28, 2006 2:38 pm

Are they kidding or wot!!! :laughing5:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... %3AUK%3A71

Surely if you do want to drive around with a bomb as pillion would it not be easier (and cheaper) to lash a plastic fuel can on the back? Personally i'm about ready for walk around after 150 miles :bootyshake:

Those yanks, yah gotta luv em :roll:
Ride like your life depended on it.

2002 BCR

madman

Postby madman » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:23 pm

Made me laugh! May be some use in parts of the US with long roads and no fuel stops, but here in Europe where there are plenty of petrol stations, I would rather not have a metal can full of petrol sitting in the sun and strapped to the back of my bike.
2004 Silver (mine)
2001 Silver/Manderin (hers)
Visiting France? Read my blog on http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

tripe

Postby tripe » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:32 pm

one of the finer examples of of the ingenuity of our transatlantic cousins over on pelican parts. Also of particular note was the fitting of standard R handlebars to replace the clip ons - a strange and pointless sight indeed

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:37 am

That looks to me like an Iron Butt riders accessory. We met up with a load of them on the salt flats in Utah and most of their bikes had these sorts of contraptions strapped to various parts of the bikes. Harleys with tops boxes full of fuel etc. Weird, but if you're doing big miles in short timescales then that's what you need :shock:

Personally I go for the splash and dash approach if I'm 'on a milage mission' :wink:

Jason
2002 Black GSA (for random fault analysis and for stealing all my weekends fixing the b'stard)
2000 Black R1100S (for remembering the good old times)

jltownshend

Postby jltownshend » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:07 am

What's a gallon?

Actually, this is something that irritaes me about Daily Telegraph bike reviews (aside from content)...they only ever quote Gallons. I'm sorry, but despite my years, "it means nothing to me".

John

boxerpan

Postby boxerpan » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:19 pm

jltownshend wrote:What's a gallon?

John

That depends :roll: US or Imperial ?
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

cc mac

Postby cc mac » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:26 am

I just think the Yanks like to live with the constant threat of self inflicted disaster.
Watching you Focker!

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:36 am

sure its actually an ammunition box. :wink:

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

sandbar

Postby sandbar » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:25 pm

jltownshend wrote:What's a gallon?

"it means nothing to me".

Something that was used by most of the world, and is still used by a large proportion :wink:

What measurement do you use for comparing fuel consumption? :twisted:

sandbar

BockingBandit

Postby BockingBandit » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:05 pm

'What is a 'Gallon'?, ... I thought it was a 1/4 of a 'Tank', .. unless you happen to have bought a new R1200S, .. in which case, ... you might need to call is a 'US Gallon'.
Avoiding Reality ....... http://poorcirculation.blogspot.com/

sproggy

Postby sproggy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 6:40 pm

When the fuel light comes on open the valve on the tank and turn on pump. In 4 minutes the tranfer is complete, fuel light is off. Turn off pump and close valve. This can be done while underway, no need to stop

WHAT???!!! So you're riding along the motorway at 80mph.....OK, 60mph if you're American.....and you turn around to operate a valve and switch on the tank BEHIND you? And then after 4 minutes, if you didn't crash the first time, you do the whole 'turning around while riding' stunt again just to push your luck?

And of course the risk of crashing is given that extra edge by having rubber fuel pipes up your ar*e, just waiting to be ripped apart on impact to spread fuel everywhere.

Crazy Americans.... :usa2: :sign3:

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:37 am

sproggy wrote:
When the fuel light comes on open the valve on the tank and turn on pump. In 4 minutes the tranfer is complete, fuel light is off. Turn off pump and close valve. This can be done while underway, no need to stop

WHAT???!!! So you're riding along the motorway at 80mph.....OK, 60mph if you're American.....and you turn around to operate a valve and switch on the tank BEHIND you? And then after 4 minutes, if you didn't crash the first time, you do the whole 'turning around while riding' stunt again just to push your luck?

And of course the risk of crashing is given that extra edge by having rubber fuel pipes up your ar*e, just waiting to be ripped apart on impact to spread fuel everywhere.

Crazy Americans.... :usa2: :sign3:

Picky..... :(
Come on down to a FLASH weekend break in South West France!
Rufty-Tufty, tassled, Bikers ONLY. No cars please! (unless it's a Volvo Estate with a carbon fibre tow-bar)

Check it out on: http://www.flashtours.co.uk

m25jambuster

Postby m25jambuster » Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:39 am

Surely if you wanted a longer tank range you would have purchased a GS Adventure :shock:

Return to “Boxerbanter”