Another one in from the cold...

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Jason M

Postby Jason M » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:05 am

Welcome back Richard, and Bailey too. Hope to see you both soon.

These F'kin fair weather bikers are DOING MY NUT. Have they forgotten how to nod to other bikers or is the 'over polished never seen the rain' shine getting in their eyes and stopping them from seeing me?

W*nkers the lot of them :D

Jason

vienna

Postby vienna » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:25 am

Good to have you both back and suitably equiped now the summer has arrived

andrew s

Postby andrew s » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:36 am

Well done Richard, next year we should have a huge turn out at Burton, the way we are all going.

Need to do something to my BCR to make it different from all the others.

I know you have only just got it but going to keep it long.

The only thing that I don't like about coming back to the R1100s is the cleaning, well it took ages to wash 2000 miles of road grime off it.

Andrew :roll:
A man can fall many times in life but is never a failure until he refuses to get up

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:19 pm

Thanks all. :)

After going to the Ace this morning I zipped off for a quick bimble around the lanes through Denham/Rickmansworth then took the bike to 'my' very quiet roundabout under the M25 to scrub the rear tyre in (going back round it the wrong way was a bugger though... ;) ). Ok, it's hardly challenging but I've found it a good way to restore lost confidence in leaning a bike over - something which I've been struggling with over the last few months. The back hoop now has no chicken strips on it ;)

Another bonus with this particular bike is the seat - it would appear that either it has a different-shaped one to normal or the previous owner has had it re-profiled. It's hihger at the front and feels like it has thicker padding. Comparing it with Steve's at the Ace today it was very noticable. Can't believe how tall the bike is -I'm 6'3" and can just flat-foot it.

Rods

Postby Rods » Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:55 pm

Well that didn't take long did it! :shock:

Welcome back mate 8)

gus

Postby gus » Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:11 pm

Nice one rich
How am i not in the least surprised by your latest purchase! :D
gus

Boxered
Route Master

Postby Boxered » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:00 pm

Right you buggers, you've all now made it look like I'm a sheep following the latest trixter trend of bcr ownership, I've been contemplating sourcing a tidy 'un since the burton visit to Pidcocks, when Andrew's interest in their mamola rep was slightly stronger than mine. So do I maintain my dignity by sticking with my trusty red steed, or do I risk ridicule by persuing my personal holy grail of a well sorted Mamola rep?????

Advice please.

Steve
Well-weathered leather
Hot metal and oil
The scented country air
Sunlight on chrome
The blur of the landscape
Every nerve aware

julian

Postby julian » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:56 pm

Nice one Richard.

For a second, I thought you might have played the curved ball, squinted hard, and gone for an R1200ST.

JK
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Jun 04, 2006 8:58 pm

Boxered wrote:Right you buggers, you've all now made it look like I'm a sheep following the latest trixter trend of bcr ownership, I've been contemplating sourcing a tidy 'un since the burton visit to Pidcocks, when Andrew's interest in their mamola rep was slightly stronger than mine. So do I maintain my dignity by sticking with my trusty red steed, or do I risk ridicule by persuing my personal holy grail of a well sorted Mamola rep?????

Advice please.

Steve

Steve - thing to remember is that the BCR is pretty much a Sport in a fancy suit. The cost of changing your red beastie for a Mamola (or MkII BCR) would probably be the same as adding a pair of nice shocks etc etc - that's if you haven't done them already of course.

But who am I to tell you what to do? Motorcycle purchase should never be a logical or rational decision, in which case go with your heart (a sore head's much easier to fix) ;)

If it's a 'personal holy grail' I say do it :)
Last edited by Gromit on Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:02 pm

julian wrote:Nice one Richard.

For a second, I thought you might have played the curved ball, squinted hard, and gone for an R1200ST.

JK

It was a very close call Julian - I liked the ST when I rode it, despite the fact that the dealer's demo suspension was set on 'waterbed'. Definitely a strong motor but I just can't quite stomach the bike's looks. From the rear it looks great - sort of quirky in a cock-eyed fashion but from the front, I'm nowhere near there yet. Perhaps in a few years folk will look at the ST and appreciate it, who knows.

BMWBob

Postby BMWBob » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:12 pm

It was rumoured in the MCN the other week that the ST will be up for a total restyle next year. Perhaps a lack of sales will force BMW's hand with neither the 1200 ST or S proving a draw for a lot of us 1100S owners?

Regards Bob

winger

Postby winger » Sun Jun 04, 2006 9:18 pm

Motorcycle purchase should never be a logical or rational decision!!!!! phew!! some statement that!!

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:25 pm

Oh dear.............and the more I thought about it....the more I liked the Street Rod

:D

Pip pip Ricky, moy darlin'

Hope to see you down here in September to give it a blast through?

This weekend I am mostly leading a merry dance to:

GSXR1000
R1
R1
ZX9
VFR
R6
SP2
GSXR750
Mille R
Fireblade

Red Dwarf holding her own admirably, thank you.....

:D
Come on down to a FLASH weekend break in South West France!
Rufty-Tufty, tassled, Bikers ONLY. No cars please! (unless it's a Volvo Estate with a carbon fibre tow-bar)

Check it out on: http://www.flashtours.co.uk

Rods

Postby Rods » Mon Jun 05, 2006 3:36 pm

I'd be interested to know what you think of the fireblade rider with a fantastic name :wink:

he's my boss (and robin's) in the observer ranks at my local club!!

have a great weekend tony - send them all my regards. Tom

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Jun 05, 2006 7:32 pm

BMWBob wrote:It was rumoured in the MCN the other week that the ST will be up for a total restyle next year. Perhaps a lack of sales will force BMW's hand with neither the 1200 ST or S proving a draw for a lot of us 1100S owners?

Regards Bob

Bob - had to nip back to SLM this morning to drop off the Harley's service book etc so whilst there I took the opportunity to bend the ears of a couple of the sales guys. Basically to ask the question why BMW chose to produce the 12S the way it is and what (they reckon) is hoped to be achieved by doing so. It seems BMW 'wish to focus each bike in the range to a specific task, and lessen the blurring which has existed between each model'. I did mention the S's lack of practicality, and that whatever the rantings of the nay-sayers, it may cost the company dearly. Sure, the 12 is a fabulous bike (I loved it - despite my almost dogged determination that I wasn't going to!) but when there are no 12S's with 'sold' stickers on them in the 4 dealers I've been to recently, it doesn't bode well.

Make the ST prettier and I'd reckon the fine bike which is underneath the current exterior will start to shine that bit brighter.

Return to “Boxerbanter”