GPS Again

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

thall

GPS Again

Postby thall » Sat Apr 08, 2006 8:06 pm

Fitting a quest to my 2004 :roll: BCup I am fitting an accessory socket to power it and as I have no 2nd fuse box with spare fuses am debating the best (and easiest) place to take power from (I know it really wants to be switched) any suggestions??

I am going to use the quest MC mount but would appreciate comments on which Ram brkt works best ignition barrel or the replacement clutch res cap brkt?? I can't use the touratech yoke mount as I use tank bag when touring.

Tom

Blackal

Re: GPS Again

Postby Blackal » Sat Apr 08, 2006 9:02 pm

thall wrote:Fitting a quest to my 2004 :roll: BCup I am fitting an accessory socket to power it and as I have no 2nd fuse box with spare fuses am debating the best (and easiest) place to take power from (I know it really wants to be switched) any suggestions??

I am going to use the quest MC mount but would appreciate comments on which Ram brkt works best ignition barrel or the replacement clutch res cap brkt?? I can't use the touratech yoke mount as I use tank bag when touring.

Tom

If you are going for a switched outlet, you could wire it in to the front dipped lighting circuit via a bulkhead socket. As it won't be handling high currents - you could use a very small fitting rather than the BMW style.

At least if you use a plug/socket connection - you can remove everything bar the ram-ball when you park the bike.

As for RAM Mounts -Personally - I favour the clutch cover. In addition to allowing the positioning of a GPS - if in the future you wanted to mount a camcorder - it would be a better position, I think.

Also - go for the shortest RAM stem (1"?) it is plenty long enough for the R1100s.

I have one of the small mounts bolted to the top yoke of my Daytona, but that is a totally different bike and is a bit more of a compromise.

See the thread at: http://www.boxertrix.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3181
Al :D
If I am ever on life support - Unplug me......
Then plug me back in..........

See if that works .....
:?

madman

Postby madman » Sat Apr 08, 2006 10:09 pm

I fitted a power lead for my Garmin to the instrument lights at the back of the tacho. That way it can be removed without a trace as it connects to two ring terminals. It is only live with ignition on and is very easy to do.
2004 Silver (mine)
2001 Silver/Manderin (hers)
Visiting France? Read my blog on http://bikesindordogne.blogspot.com

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Sun Apr 09, 2006 6:36 pm

I connected my autocom into the dipped headlight circuit. The result being that every time I flash the high beam at at anyone, the 'lectrickery cuts out and it all goes silent for a moment or two :oops: Probably not a problem with the Quest and it's battery power, unless you are a habitutual user of the high beam. The dash light suggestion is a good un, or failing that, the tail light circuit.

Paul
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

thall

GPS

Postby thall » Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:05 am

Thanks guy's - ended up using a RAM-B-121 Yoke clamp which works well and wired it to the ring connectors on the back of the clocks, you're right it's the simplest solution.
Thanks

vienna

Postby vienna » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:13 am

Can you help?

I have taken the fairing off, but what is the best way to get behind the tacho and is it obvious which wire to splice into ?

Thanks

FLASH

Postby FLASH » Sat Apr 15, 2006 3:57 am

Can anybody recommend a type of sticky tape that won't peel at speed, thereby sending my carefully written route card flying off into the undergrowth?

Ta.
Come on down to a FLASH weekend break in South West France!
Rufty-Tufty, tassled, Bikers ONLY. No cars please! (unless it's a Volvo Estate with a carbon fibre tow-bar)

Check it out on: http://www.flashtours.co.uk

ianc53

Postby ianc53 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 6:15 am

I've also just fitted a Quest and wired it to the back of the clocks. There's no need to splice as there are ring connectors you can use. On my bike (2003 ABS) brown is earth and green and blue a switched positive.

Getting access means taking the screen and front fairing off. Unit is held on thru 3 rubber mounted spring clips which slide off quite easily.

Cheers

Ian

thall

GPS Wiring

Postby thall » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:08 pm

HI - I removed the clock clips took out the plastic shroud then put the clocks back in position till I connected to the ring connectors exactly as IanC53 suggested - crip connectors are available from Maplins (Cheap) or Halfords (£1.00 for 3) the correct crimping pliers are best. - Tom

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:36 pm

FLASH wrote:Can anybody recommend a type of sticky tape that won't peel at speed, thereby sending my carefully written route card flying off into the undergrowth?

Ta.

Words>>>my mouth.

Paul
Wanna buy a sticker mister?

Postby Paul » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:37 pm

FLASH wrote:Can anybody recommend a type of sticky tape that won't peel at speed, thereby sending my carefully written route card flying off into the undergrowth?

Ta.

Dear Mr Ludd,

Duct tape will work very well. If that leaves a sticky residue on your tank, a squirt of WD40 should remove that.

A. Doctor
You really need only two tools: WD-40 and duct tape. If it doesn't move and it should, use WD-40. If it moves and shouldn't, use the tape.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:40 pm

Paul wrote:
Dear Mr Ludd,

Duct tape will work very well. If that leaves a sticky residue on your tank, a squirt of WD40 should remove that.

A. Doctor

:D

Return to “Boxerbanter”