Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

winger

MCN

Postby winger » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:54 pm

Not to many read todays comic then!!!

NA1959

Postby NA1959 » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:59 pm

:cry: Nop! find it a bit of the same each time I buy it. Is a bit dated and at times struggles to get enough interesting articles.

Sad realy as it used to be a weekly must buy!
Over 40 and flying low ---------

Nero

Postby Nero » Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:59 pm

Knew there was something I meant to buy lunchtime. :?

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:01 pm

Think it confirms what many on here have said over the last few weeks, Still be testing one when its available though.

Peter.

winger

Postby winger » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:05 pm

Didn't think it said anything really after i read the article,thought!!! i'm non the wiser!!!.

herrman
Trixter Tour Manager

Postby herrman » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:32 pm

-Lost the all round ability of the 11S, Not full on enough for the CBR/GXR/ZX/FZR Sunday jockeys. Reccomended for the 50+ who want to continue to eat pie's!!!

Peter.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:46 pm

thought it was ageist and fattist :wink:

whilst no longer the stripling I was at 20, I still fit in my original leathers and am significantly under 50...

group 14 insurance looks attractive although I suspect they made that up.. which coupled with the fact its likely to last all day in a london parking bay (unlike most Jap rockets) means its still high on my list of next bikes..

from the intro on the review was well predictable

R1200S for rich old fat people - handles well, good brakes, no pillion, would get murdered by proper sports tackle...

I guess thats the nature of MCN - I liked the review of the Benelli, both the 999 and RSVR are 'probably' better bikes - decent bit of journalism that...:roll:

Still have to buy it each week - at least there's wild speculation on the racing now...

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport
1980 Vespa P125X

winger

Postby winger » Thu Apr 06, 2006 6:45 am

Just thought it must be one of the most bland write up's of a bike i've every read,as to wether thats the journo or the bike,your guess is as good as mine,and with a supposed extra 22hp not a single mention of performance,as luck will have it we'll get half a dozen interpretations in the different mags.

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:27 am

Seeing as I'll never actually buy MoreCrapthanNews I'll have a read in WHSmiths' library later...

Another test I've found is here

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:28 am

I thought it was a pretty lazy piece myself - more of a space filler than anything - and very disappointing as it was the only reason that I bought the comic this week. Won't be making that mistake again any time soon.
It was just a string of cliches and didn't tell us anything about the bike that we wouldn't have known from BMW's press release apart from the bit about the cam on the throttle cable.
If the so-called journalist who wrote it thought he was being funny with jibes at older bikers and pies, then he really should consider a career change. Who the feck does he think the main audience for that piece would have been?

Gromit

Postby Gromit » Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:32 am

Stevie - trouble is, these jumped-up halfwit journos have no more writing/riding skill than the vast majority of 'average bloke' riders out on the roads today. Ergo, many of today's bikers will read articles like this and treat it as gospel.

julian

Postby julian » Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:59 am

Never buy it, sometimes read it in Tesco but still find it a waste of trees.
How much new news on bikes can there be each week??? Commercially the the pish-poor content justifies EMAP's return in advertising revenue. Try working out how much the classified section rakes in each week . I did once but forget. zzzzzzzzzz

Stopped buying it shortly after Adam 'sensationalist-arrogant-pie-eating-knob-jockey' Duckworth took the helm. and turned it into a mish-mash of Sunday Sport with bikes. He's moved on but MCN has continued its downward spiral.

What gets me is the contradictory nature of front covers 'Police out to get bikers FOR X, Y, OR Z' and next to it "600 shootout - how we ragged the tits off round the Peterborough bypass at 160mph for 48 hours'. Pah!
BMW R1100S (Black)
Suzuki TL1000S (Red)

winger

Postby winger » Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:33 am

Everyone has their axe to grind,i've had some great snips out of the adds over the years and always enjoy the sports bit at the back,the mag that gets up my nose,Motorcycle Sport Leisure,trades on being a serious mag,when they really haven't got a clue,still buy it,just for another angle but it really is junk nowhere days,completly lost it's way,thats the one thing you can about Fast Bikes and Superbike,like or loath e'm they don't pretend to something they ain't.

Ade B

Postby Ade B » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:26 am

Must admit, I get a copy every week, stopped buying any other mags apart from the odd Performance/Fast/Super Bike when on a long public transport trip..

MCN is 80% drivel, 10% speculation/lies and the remaining 10% is a mixture of sports news and new stuff (then of course there's the classifieds..)

The biggest thing that irks me is the constant moaning about speed cameras as if it is our god given right to speed.... the thing I find the most amusing is the letters pages and the best bit is the 'insider' commentry on the racing.

Oh and it also makes a good spillage mopper upper.

Ade
2000 R1100S Sport

1980 Vespa P125X

bikemad99

Postby bikemad99 » Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:38 am

I enjoy Bikesport News for the racing results and general gossip. Chris Carter has been 100% into racing for over 50yrs and is a a very knowledgable bike fanatic,unlike most journalists who are just earning a living.
2000 BMW R1100s
1964 Royal Enfield 250cc Crusader
2012 Mazda Mx5 2.0ltr Kuro.
2004 Roller Team Granduca 171.
1992 Jaguar 4ltr Sovereign.
2018 Volvo t3 v40 Cross Country.
Reg & Gwen.

Return to “Boxerbanter”