Adam beware

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

Jason M

Adam beware

Postby Jason M » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:20 pm

Adam mate - got my Fazer off it's stand this am and it clicked a bit at the front. It's not been ridden for a few weeks so I thought the brakes my have binded on a bit. Drove to work (35 miles) and there was a funny noise still at the front - like something metalic was hitting the brakes. Pushed the bike back and forwards but heard nothing. Checked all was tight....

Rode home and started thinking things weren't right and the front felt nasty. Got home, front wheel in the air and spun it - no noise - too the brakes off so I could get some speed and feck me - someone has bunged pebbles in where the wheel bearings should be I reckon. What a nasty noise! No lateral play at all in them, they just sound like they're about to collapse :shock:

It's only done 20k! My Chundercat did the same thing (except not half has noisy as this one)

So that's two sick bikes.... bollocks :x

So keep an eye on em matey :wink:

Jason

ps - anyone reccomend a very quick and cheap supplier for bearings?

Ta

theseadog

Postby theseadog » Mon Mar 27, 2006 6:47 pm

Bloody hell Jason, did you stand on a black cat or smash a mirror lately !

Try patternparts.net or simplybearings.co.uk

Not sure how they compare a la Motorworks for costs.

HTH

Toodle Pip
:wav:
Cheers
PAul

Keep it sticky side down.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 7:48 pm

Blimey that doesn't sound good but at least you spotted it before they locked / seized - that would be nasty.

Thanks for the heads up anyway. I'll check them every time I stick a new front tyre on. Still easier than paralever bearings I reckon :wink:

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

bigblackfalco

Postby bigblackfalco » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:00 pm

On the same subject....the front wheel bearings went on my S after 123'000 miles when my mate decided to use his pressure washer to clean my bike without asking!!!
Jap bikes are notorious for chewing front bearings;I remember a few courier mates getting between 10-15K out of them on their Honda NTV/Revere.
Bailey.
Honda VFR750 FV 1997 Red and dirty, 130K miles.

Honda VFR800 Xf Crossrunner 2016 White and dirty, 120K miles.

adamski49

Postby adamski49 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:42 pm

Evening Bailey, How are you finding sunny (ok, wet, windy and cold) Cambridge?

I haven't spotted you yet on my almost daily Addenbrookes trips. Are you locked away in your digital studio? More importantly, is it earning you enough beer vouchers?

When I get round to it I'll probably dig afew vinyls out for you to transfer for me. I've recently ripped all my CD's to my PC so it'd be good to have some of the old stuff to go with my networked juke box.

Adam :)
Forgive me father for I have sinned... ex S owner moved onto pastures new with four cylinders and a chain... and back to a twin, albeit in a V.

Malc

Postby Malc » Tue Mar 28, 2006 1:10 pm

bigblackfalco wrote:Jap bikes are notorious for chewing front bearings;I remember a few courier mates getting between 10-15K out of them on their H*nda NTV/Revere.
Bailey.

The Blade is good on wheel bearing, it eats headsets though. A bottom steering bearing lasts around 10K. I wouldn't mind if I wheelied the thing but I don't.

It's a cheap fix and takes around and hour, so not too bad I suppose.

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Wed Mar 29, 2006 10:01 am

Not as bad as the BMW 650 GS. Dry sump so oil tank positioned next to head set. Oil tank heats up headset - warms up bering grease - grease runs out of head set! Hey presto!

German design!

Stevie

Postby Stevie » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:19 am

bmwonder wrote:Not as bad as the BMW 650 GS. Dry sump so oil tank positioned next to head set. Oil tank heats up headset - warms up bering grease - grease runs out of head set! Hey presto!

German design!

So, how long do they normally last on a 650GS?

bmwonder

Postby bmwonder » Wed Mar 29, 2006 11:46 am

If you're lucky - long enough to get it back to the dealer to put in new ones with hi-temp grease.

Return to “Boxerbanter”