Warranty or Not Warranty ?

Pull up a chair - let's talk Boxerbollox

Moderators: Gromit, Paul, slparry

cbxmark

Warranty or Not Warranty ?

Postby cbxmark » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:55 pm

Hi there,

Am new to the forum and finally took the plunge last Thursday and got myself a 2005 R1100S. Superb bike Love it to bits. Bit on the slow side but ive yet to start tinkering with it.. One thing that has surprised me is that yesterday I was filling the bike up and yes you guessed it splashed some petrol over the indicator clusters and clock surround. Before I could wipe it off it went that horrible white colour and for the life of me I can’t get rid of it. Have read the previous posts on the subject and it would seem to be a common problem. My question is.. Do you think that I will be able to get away with a warranty claim on this? I personally think I should as who in there right minds would put something that is not fuel proof right next to the fuel tank!
Well going to go to SPC tomorrow and try my luck, might even try to push them to replace with Carbon Fibre  you never know…

Mark..

PS bet you cant guess what my other bike is…
R1100S
CBX1000Z

boxerpan

Re: Warranty or Not Warranty ?

Postby boxerpan » Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:59 pm

cbxmark wrote: My question is.. Do you think that I will be able to get away with a warranty claim on this? …

NOPE.....operator error, but no harm asking :!:
Lloyd

It's not how fast you ride, it's how you ride fast.
Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear
bright until you hear them speak.

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:43 pm

SPC would not give you the dripping off the end of there nose if they had a cold.

a combination of WD40 and armorall will do the trick you need several applications to get rid of the white marks.

Bob

wicker

Postby wicker » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:46 pm

I have spilt petrol a couple of times onto the plastic around the indicators. Even washing it off immediately did not seem to reduce the marking effect on the plastic.

I have found wiping the black plastics with a cloth / small drop of clean engine oil leaves a shiny surface which masks any white petrol stains on the plastic. Various over the counter plastic cleaning products such as Back to Black and Armoural did not do this.

winger

Postby winger » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:37 pm

Silicone spray will hide it,but show me an S,i'll show petrol marks!!!

cbxmark

Postby cbxmark » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:54 pm

Thanks for that Gents. Ill try and batter SPC tomorrow failing that i supose its out with the polish and plenty of elbow greese. Does anyone happen to know if there are any products out there that can be used to coat the plastics that is also petrol proof!
Ill let you all know how I get on with the claim but I dont hold up to much hope..

Mark
R1100S

CBX1000Z

Boxadog 2000

Postby Boxadog 2000 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:01 pm

Stop dreaming

Me-109

Postby Me-109 » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 pm

I got some polish called Xerapol, I think, to take out some petrol marks on the idiot lights and clock faces on my Bandit after chucking it down the road. It came from Cetem polishing (ads in all the usual mags, I believe). It didn't need very much, took a little bit of elbow grease as well, but worked wonders. I've also used it to take marks out of other plastics, fibreglass, ceramics and bathroom porcelain. No, not those sort of marks... :roll:

cbxmark

Postby cbxmark » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:07 pm

Just got back from SPC and as youve guessed no deal, no warranty claim, Bummer! Argued with them till i was blue in the face but no deal. What I did manage to get out of them though was a full days loan of a R1200ST for nothing and whilst im out on the bike they are going to fully valet my 1100 and try to get rid of the petrol stains. I dont hold up to much hope but at least ill be able to tear around on one of there bikes.. You Never no I might accedently spill some petrol again.. :wink: (Joke)
Cheers for the info ME-109 ill keep my eyes open for some Xerapol and give it a try.

Mark.
R1100S

CBX1000Z

Return to “Boxerbanter”